The Student Room Group

accommodation

is it legal for a landlord to withhold a key for the back door so you can’t lock it? my friends and i have put a deposit down on a house but the landlord has said we’re not allowed a key to the back door to properly lock it- only bolts to keep it shut. has anyone else had an issue like this? it feels like a security risk and voids any insurance policy
Reply 1
Original post by heinzsoupbowl
is it legal for a landlord to withhold a key for the back door so you can’t lock it? my friends and i have put a deposit down on a house but the landlord has said we’re not allowed a key to the back door to properly lock it- only bolts to keep it shut. has anyone else had an issue like this? it feels like a security risk and voids any insurance policy

Absolutely not, I would check anything you signed to be 100 percent, but its a safety hazard it puts you at risk of burglary or worse so I would use that in your argument.
Reply 2
Original post by Dianax82
Absolutely not, I would check anything you signed to be 100 percent, but its a safety hazard it puts you at risk of burglary or worse so I would use that in your argument.

luckily we haven’t signed anything yet, just put down £100 each to secure the property; we’re contacting our uni support team on monday to see if anything can be done about it if not we will probably give up and look for a different property! i’m just glad someone feels the same way about it
Reply 3
Original post by heinzsoupbowl
luckily we haven’t signed anything yet, just put down £100 each to secure the property; we’re contacting our uni support team on monday to see if anything can be done about it if not we will probably give up and look for a different property! i’m just glad someone feels the same way about it

Oh I'm so glad, was a worried for you, a similar thing happened to one of my siblings and tbh that wasn't the worst bit if them living in that house. Remember if there being dodgy with something so obvious then there are worser things going on behind the curtains if you know what I mean.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending