The Student Room Group

A-Level Maths & Further Maths at the same time...?

Hey all.

I'm self-studying A-Level Maths at the moment and it's looking like I'm not going to have an opportunity to get any grades this summer due to Corona, as I don't have predicted grades or a teacher etc.

Holding out for further announcements but I'm now looking into doing both Maths & Further Maths exams next summer.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of this? Or how Further Maths compared to Maths and if I might have any issues doing both?

Reply 1
Original post by beachpanda
Hey all.

I'm self-studying A-Level Maths at the moment and it's looking like I'm not going to have an opportunity to get any grades this summer due to Corona, as I don't have predicted grades or a teacher etc.

Holding out for further announcements but I'm now looking into doing both Maths & Further Maths exams next summer.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of this? Or how Further Maths compared to Maths and if I might have any issues doing both?

If you had originally been planning to take A Level Maths this year and follow it with Further Maths next year, you should be fine. There is no problem with doing all of the exams together, and many students have to do it this way. OK, you'll be sitting more papers in a shorter space of time that you would prefer, but that's not as bad as it sounds. Added to which, you will have an extra year of experience, mostly with Further Maths, which will make the regular course seem easier.

It would be more of a challenge to study both courses together, but if I understand you correctly, that's not what you're doing.
Reply 2
Original post by Pangol
If you had originally been planning to take A Level Maths this year and follow it with Further Maths next year, you should be fine. There is no problem with doing all of the exams together, and many students have to do it this way. OK, you'll be sitting more papers in a shorter space of time that you would prefer, but that's not as bad as it sounds. Added to which, you will have an extra year of experience, mostly with Further Maths, which will make the regular course seem easier.

It would be more of a challenge to study both courses together, but if I understand you correctly, that's not what you're doing.

Thanks v much @Pangol :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by beachpanda
Hey all.

Hey, I am about to take the same path next summer. But, I am really confused. Could you find any help or did you take that path? if yes, it would be very kind of you to share the experience...
Thank you...

Quick Reply

Latest