The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm looking for TSR PSA thread . failed PSA recently and will be resitting in May. I practiced sample questions on PSA official websites many times and also did the pass the PSA book. still failed. don't know how/what to prepare more than that. Any tips on how to look for drugs in BNF for specific conditions quickly or directing me to PSA thread will be greatly appreciated.

I’m going to make a thread soon. My computer broke so it will have to be on an iPad. Don’t worry at all, I feel the same way, but the thing is, it is mainly about technique. I’m going to detail that. All I have to do is learn conditions and management better, and know how to prescribe better and not make careless mistakes , whereas I struggled with most sections before refining my technique.
It's interesting that the marks didn't vary much between open and closed format. Is the exam very time pressured? In my med schools normal MCQ paper you have to go along at quite a pace to complete the paper in time. I wonder if people simply dont have the time to make use of any resources.

If anyone can point me toward the mock papers that would be extremely helpful. If would really like to see the papers to get an idea of the question styles.
It's interesting that the marks didn't vary much between open and closed format. Is the exam very time pressured? In my med schools normal MCQ paper you have to go along at quite a pace to complete the paper in time. I wonder if people simply dont have the time to make use of any resources.

If anyone can point me toward the mock papers that would be extremely helpful. If would really like to see the papers to get an idea of the question styles.

There was a Dropbox I can’t seem to find, but you can find the papers easily , google MSCAA and they are first page top few results.

The online exams require synthesis. As a vague example, if you have a gastro question showing you a lot of results, you have to interpret them and it’s hard to google that. If you’re asked the key markers for a condition you have to work out, google helps only after you identify the key condition anyway.

For a number of things, google does help , and if you’re resourceful enough To search efficiently and quickly, that itself is probably worthy of reward given you have to search intelligently which itself shows understanding

The exam is time pressured, and theres less time per question than the PSA. So you not only have to get quick at searchingly, to know exactly exactly what terms would open the question up, and how Google responds to various different search terms Andy combinations.
Original post by densamacula
1. Are the MSCAA questions very different to the ones in the practice papers ? (2017/2018/2019)
2. Not sure I understand why you'd say that MSCAA questions involve more synthesis than question banks. Have you been on Passmed?

Harder in parts, easier In parts. It will be slightly harder because there are more questions and more things to throw at you, particularly delving deeper into specialties.

PassMed is amazing, but there’s a greater emphasis on pattern recognition. One of our heads who is part of the group that either advises or writes it stated that’s he dislikes question banks because they test knowledge, whereas exams he sets test synthesis.

It isn’t black and white, but they MSCAA seems to be more about understandings, as well as knowledge and pattern recognition.
Acccording to my friend, who studies there, the distribution of marks followed very closely with a closed book format, and so they had no concerns about it. It appears that The questions are naturally designed to test understanding, and not just memory.

how do they know if it open or closed book if doing online at home?

are they just the same mscaa questions that would have been in written exam but put online for those who have done online?

and someone mentioned about calcing chadvasc etc- thats pretty difficult to do off by heart without the resource-to learn by heart and even under time pressure-no??
Harder in parts, easier In parts. It will be slightly harder because there are more questions and more things to throw at you, particularly delving deeper into specialties.

PassMed is amazing, but there’s a greater emphasis on pattern recognition. One of our heads who is part of the group that either advises or writes it stated that’s he dislikes question banks because they test knowledge, whereas exams he sets test synthesis.

It isn’t black and white, but they MSCAA seems to be more about understandings, as well as knowledge and pattern recognition.

should we bother with pasmed at all?
should we bother with pasmed at all?

I would definitely use PassMed, but also RusticSeapigs flashcards, the official mocks, and the Get Ahead books, paticularly the SBAS.

are they just the same mscaa questions that would have been in written exam but put online for those who have done online?

and someone mentioned about calcing chadvasc etc- thats pretty difficult to do off by heart without the resource-to learn by heart and even under time pressure-no??

I’m not sure if that comes up, but something like calculating CURB 65 and then deciding treatment based on that seems similar. I would definitely learn curb 65 algorithms, Chadvasc, and any other key ones.

It is difficult, but you’ll usually Easily notice the ones that stand out. Calculating isn’t one thing...but you’re going to be asked how to manage the patient based on the scores of these things, and given there are five answers, two of them are going to be hard to choose between unless you have learned the algorithms

are they just the same mscaa questions that would have been in written exam but put online for those who have done online

Depends if they make you do it on a software whre they monitor you on webcam as well as your screen.

If they just tell you not to google, then I agree, hardly enforcable. Most universities are doing the same exam as open book. I don’t know if that’s true for all, or if some will modify the exam.
I would definitely use PassMed, but also RusticSeapigs flashcards, the official mocks, and the Get Ahead books, paticularly the SBAS.

thx will look at get ahead
losing the will guys
losing the will guys

Anyone who claims they aren’t atm , especially with the nice weather and the pandemic is not being honest.

May i I ask if you could share anymore about why you feel that way? Probably same as mine
I'm so glad I found this thread.
Having to retake one of my written finals online.
Motivating yourself to revise given the current circumstances isn't easy but I hope we can all support each other through this time! :smile:
Same! A family friend of mine is currently in the dying process from covid. All escalated in a space of a day... she is my best friends mom, and we grew up like family, and I’m now trying to console my friend and her family and explain what going on with her care medically....

Try explaining to your best friend that her mom is pretty much dying and there’s nothing that can be done because it’s so serious. They’re saying she probably won’t make it after today, she’s tiring and just weak in general.

And I’m still trying to revise retakes. This is incredibly traumatic!

My heart goes out to you all that are in this difficult time ❤️
You are not alone. Many of us are in the exact same situation, facing the very same things. I personally have gone through a lot of mental heart ache, sadness, but i have found resolve to carry on, and it isn't easy.

To get to where we have, we clearly belong here. Medicine can induce imposter syndrome in any normal day, let alone when we fail an exam. Many of us - me included - never failed anything before. It is a shock, but it is not a reflection of our ability. It is more a reflection on our strategy, and that's what we are going to work hard for and focus on.

Many people are too mentally burnt out to volunteer, due to personal circumstances, family with the virus, the isolation. They will spend the next few months studying anyway, in preparation for FY1. Try to think of this as the same for people in our situation. This is an opportunity to learn so much, to think like a doctor to such an extent, when we start working we will look back and consider this the biggest blessing in disguise.

The key thing i've found is to strategise better. Do a proper post-mortem, think smarter, work smarter, think deeply about concepts and what various scenarios could come up.

The Covid scenario alone is enough to drive anyone crazy. We are all hurting. You aren't behind, and this chance to study and work hard might give you the advantage in FY1.

I don't know you, but just from the fact you made it this far in the way you have, i have next to no doubt you have what it takes to pass, and not just pass, but excel in the exam.

This thread is for supporting each other, strategy, and obliterating this exam the next time round, so we can actually enjoy doing the exam and grow.

It is much easier said than done. Honestly, i'm keeping busy, trying to just work, work , but give myself me time, watch something. Look myself in the mirror and tell myself well done for making it so far, appreciate the hurt i have, forgiving myself, to allow myself the chance to go at this again.

You are NOT alone.

But we will all make it. My future self sent me this:

"Hey, me of April. It's you of August. I know you're hurting, i know the pangs of disappointment you felt on top of the crazy time the world is going through. But the truth is, i would not have it any differently. The level of knowledge, the understanding, the resilience and how much you grew from this has allowed me, you of the future, to be so much more mentally and academically prepared that i'm actually frightened if i would have been without this experience. So hang in there. Don't think too far. Take it day by day. One punch, one step, one round at a time. Day by day. Reward and treat yourself every day, because you will get through this, and time will pass. Time does not discriminate. Our happy moments pass, but the beauty is so do difficult periods. Don't let victory get to your head, nor defeat to your heart. You did not fail, you merely learned and grew. You were not alone - many extremely capable doctors have failed an exam. So take a bit of time to get yourself mentally ready, it won't be easy, but the fact you've made it this far, means you have what it takes to carry on. Now go get this"

Much love to you and everyone else going through this. We'll all make it through.

Thank you for sharing this.
Original post by Yupyup53
Same! A family friend of mine is currently in the dying process from covid. All escalated in a space of a day... she is my best friends mom, and we grew up like family, and I’m now trying to console my friend and her family and explain what going on with her care medically....

Try explaining to your best friend that her mom is pretty much dying and there’s nothing that can be done because it’s so serious. They’re saying she probably won’t make it after today, she’s tiring and just weak in general.

And I’m still trying to revise retakes. This is incredibly traumatic!

My heart goes out to you all that are in this difficult time ❤️

Really sorry you and your friends are going through this.
Must be horrible having to take finals with all that going on but I hope you can get the support you need aswell.
I know it's important that students graduating are competent and safe etc, but given the circumstances, I think universities need to show some leniency + empathy. If we have made it this far, we are likely to be competent and more likely to perform poorly in exams due to unfortunate circumstances.

Medical schools bang on about empathy and communication skills, and at such a difficult time like this, I feel like every communication I get from them (which is absolutely minimal) feels like a giant slap in the face. Not a nice way to be leaving university...

I think our graduating year is going to build a hell of a lot of character. Not only has our elective/graduation/summer/life been cancelled, we have unwell family members, and are studying for important exams with no light at the end of the tunnel. It's a sucky situation to be in, but I am sure we are going to come out the other side stronger than ever. People worried about the class of covid being incompetent because we haven't sat traditional finals? Nah mate, we are going to be the strongest, most resilient junior doctors ever.
I know it's important that students graduating are competent and safe etc, but given the circumstances, I think universities need to show some leniency + empathy. If we have made it this far, we are likely to be competent and more likely to perform poorly in exams due to unfortunate circumstances.

Medical schools bang on about empathy and communication skills, and at such a difficult time like this, I feel like every communication I get from them (which is absolutely minimal) feels like a giant slap in the face. Not a nice way to be leaving university...

I think our graduating year is going to build a hell of a lot of character. Not only has our elective/graduation/summer/life been cancelled, we have unwell family members, and are studying for important exams with no light at the end of the tunnel. It's a sucky situation to be in, but I am sure we are going to come out the other side stronger than ever. People worried about the class of covid being incompetent because we haven't sat traditional finals? Nah mate, we are going to be the strongest, most resilient junior doctors ever.

Thank you for saying this!!!

ive been crying and trying to mourn and help arrange funeral matters today, and now I’m back to studying for my retakes but also trying to be a support system to my best friend and her family who’s just lost her mother!!!!

i can’t concentrate! I’m seeing BJ is in ICU right now, how the hell is it possible for ANYONE. To concentrate on finals right now? The whole country is anxious!!!!!

so much for empathy, honestly!

first exams I’ve ever failed, watched all my friends graduated without me, all my friends excited about jobs and things and none of it is guaranteed for me because I had one bad day!!!

i really hope those exams are more easier because, w significant proportion of us are going to be disadvantaged already!!!

ive been crying and trying to mourn and help arrange funeral matters today, and now I’m back to studying for my retakes but also trying to be a support system to my best friend and her family who’s just lost her mother!!!!

i can’t concentrate! I’m seeing BJ is in ICU right now, how the hell is it possible for ANYONE. To concentrate on finals right now? The whole country is anxious!!!!!

first exams I’ve ever failed, watched all my friends graduated without me, all my friends excited about jobs and things and none of it is guaranteed for me because I had one bad day!!!

i really hope those exams are more easier because, w significant proportion of us are going to be disadvantaged already!!!

Empathy? Most Medical Schools couldn't demonstrate such a thing if they tried; I know mine would certainly fail attempting to do so.

Also incredibly sorry to read that you're going through so much atm

Latest

Trending

Trending