The Student Room Group

A-level options

I'm really struggling to choose my last a level. Its currently between Spanish, a subject i found incredibly easy at GCSE and love and Law, another subject that has always really interested me. I've tried weighing up the pros and cons and im still completely 50/50. There's no way i could take both and it feels like an impossible decision
Original post by sm7gr9
I'm really struggling to choose my last a level. Its currently between Spanish, a subject i found incredibly easy at GCSE and love and Law, another subject that has always really interested me. I've tried weighing up the pros and cons and im still completely 50/50. There's no way i could take both and it feels like an impossible decision

personally id say go with law because a language a level basically requires you to be fluent in that language, however id say that spanish is alot more useful than law.
law would be more interesting in my opinion but isnt as versatile
you can still get an A* in Spanish even if you arent a native but it will be very very hard; the things you do at A-level is very different to GCSE (i.e. politics and films theme). Law is very content heavy and requires a lot of memorisation; I think the main problem with law is the resources to it.
Reply 3
Absolutely choose Spanish! Law is a waste of time a level, lots of schools / colleges don't even offer it, and uni's don't like it. Languages on the other hand are very well respected, and are considered "facilitating subjects".
I do Spanish at a level and I adore it. I am not a native speaker, but I also found it very very easy at GCSE, and I'm loving a level, its much much more interesting and I still find it easy.

Original post by hustlr
personally id say go with law because a language a level basically requires you to be fluent in that language, however id say that spanish is alot more useful than law.
law would be more interesting in my opinion but isnt as versatile

That's absolutely not true, they don't expect you to be fluent and if you found it easy at GCSE it shouldn't be too hard. If you love it and you do the class work and homework it's soo soo soo rewarding, please choose spanish!!!
Original post by OL12345
Absolutely choose Spanish! Law is a waste of time a level, lots of schools / colleges don't even offer it, and uni's don't like it. Languages on the other hand are very well respected, and are considered "facilitating subjects".
I do Spanish at a level and I adore it. I am not a native speaker, but I also found it very very easy at GCSE, and I'm loving a level, its much much more interesting and I still find it easy.

That's absolutely not true, they don't expect you to be fluent and if you found it easy at GCSE it shouldn't be too hard. If you love it and you do the class work and homework it's soo soo soo rewarding, please choose spanish!!!

I dont agree law is a waste of time because you still have a qualification from it. Unis are neutral about A-level Law btw. I do agree with you about Spanish but their choice depends on them

Quick Reply

Latest