The Student Room Group

Should I go to Oxford? [Chemistry]

This is my last resort on this issue and I'm only coming here because I'm in desperate need of a fresh perspective. I would be very grateful for any advice spared.

In January, I received an offer from the University of Oxford to read Chemistry (MChem, 4 years). Unlike the majority of offer-holders (I'm guessing) I still haven't firmed my place at the institution through UCAS. On the one hand, I understand that the opportunity that has been given to me is immense and that I'm lucky to even be in the position to make this decision. I've been told that having a degree from Oxford bears (a probably very slight) weight that could well be of use in later life.

On the other hand, my mother is very opposed to the idea of me studying at Oxford and is very insistent on keeping me at home to study at a less prestigious Russell group university. This, however is the least of my concerns. I am fearful of being grossly under-qualified for the course. I did not study FM or Physics at A-Level, and although I enjoy maths, understanding does not come instantaneously to me. Given the amount of threads describing dropping out from this course (despite having studied FM and Physics in some cases), I feel that my fears are founded. Additionally, I just don't know if I am passionate enough. I do not have a clear career ambition in mind (a reason for choosing to study Chemistry, as it tends to keep doors open) and while I certainly have a passion for the subject, in comparison to my A-Level classmates, I do not pursue it excessively in my free time. I worry that I will be completely out of my depth if surrounded by kids that live and breathe Chemistry.

Obviously, this is all conditional on being awarded the required grades (A*A*A) at A-Level, but the decision has to be made regardless. I do not want to look back and strongly regret the choice I made. Anyway, thanks for reading and please be as harsh as you like in your responses.
Ok so l think you shouldn’t go to oxford (don’t hate me pls) because of the fact that you said you would probably be out of your depth! This is important because you don’t want to be going to oxford only to be lagging behind in classes and failing your exams only to end up with a 2,2 from oxford which is not a good degree regardless of the reputation your uni has. If you truly think that you wouldn’t be able to keep up and that academic wise, it would be too challenging then don’t firm oxford. It is much better to go to a lower ranked university and get a first class honours instead which would get you a lot of jobs and more opportunities instead of a 2.2! Besides, if you truly want to go to oxford, there’s always a chance for masters as well not just undergraduate!
Reply 2
My opinion is quite the opposite of what's been said above. Through the admissions test and the rigorous process and interviews, the interviewers know what they are looking for. You wouldn't have received the offer if they didn't think you were capable of completing the degree. Obviously there is only so much to be gained about you from those 3/4 days at interview but the very low acceptance rates shows that you are better suited to the course that the others interviewed. Contrary to what has been said above, I think a 2.2 from oxford actually is better in some ways than a first at a less prestigious university, but of course it depends your career choice afterwards. Even if you weren't suited to it, is it not worth taking up the place so you can drop it later on? It seems silly to pass up a place at one of the best universities in the world, when they have chosen you to go! Hope this can be of some use, and all the best to you in the future!
@Oxford Mum might have some useful comments, particularly on the fear of being out of one's depth.
You need to really consider the individual differences of each university and weigh up which you prefer overall.

What’s the accommodation like at each university - how do you feel about the college system at Oxford? What about societies or extra curricular opportunities? How is the city itself? Does the course have modules that interest you in each year of study?

If Oxford have accepted you then they clearly think you have what it takes!

Yes the Oxford name obviously has weighting, but there are so many other factors - you’ll be spending several years at that university, so it has to be somewhere you genuinely like and want to study and live.
Original post by theprettyrainbow
Ok so l think you shouldn’t go to oxford (don’t hate me pls) because of the fact that you said you would probably be out of your depth! This is important because you don’t want to be going to oxford only to be lagging behind in classes and failing your exams only to end up with a 2,2 from oxford which is not a good degree regardless of the reputation your uni has. If you truly think that you wouldn’t be able to keep up and that academic wise, it would be too challenging then don’t firm oxford. It is much better to go to a lower ranked university and get a first class honours instead which would get you a lot of jobs and more opportunities instead of a 2.2! Besides, if you truly want to go to oxford, there’s always a chance for masters as well not just undergraduate!

Have you been to Oxford yourself?
Original post by Oxford Mum
Have you been to Oxford yourself?

Uh no but l know people who have.
Original post by theprettyrainbow
Uh no but l know people who have.

That's funny, so do I :s-smilie:
Original post by Oxford Mum
That's funny, so do I :s-smilie:

Look l don't hate the university, l was just replying to the thread starter that is all 😭
Original post by dlsoii
This is my last resort on this issue and I'm only coming here because I'm in desperate need of a fresh perspective. I would be very grateful for any advice spared.

In January, I received an offer from the University of Oxford to read Chemistry (MChem, 4 years). Unlike the majority of offer-holders (I'm guessing) I still haven't firmed my place at the institution through UCAS. On the one hand, I understand that the opportunity that has been given to me is immense and that I'm lucky to even be in the position to make this decision. I've been told that having a degree from Oxford bears (a probably very slight) weight that could well be of use in later life.

On the other hand, my mother is very opposed to the idea of me studying at Oxford and is very insistent on keeping me at home to study at a less prestigious Russell group university. This, however is the least of my concerns. I am fearful of being grossly under-qualified for the course. I did not study FM or Physics at A-Level, and although I enjoy maths, understanding does not come instantaneously to me. Given the amount of threads describing dropping out from this course (despite having studied FM and Physics in some cases), I feel that my fears are founded. Additionally, I just don't know if I am passionate enough. I do not have a clear career ambition in mind (a reason for choosing to study Chemistry, as it tends to keep doors open) and while I certainly have a passion for the subject, in comparison to my A-Level classmates, I do not pursue it excessively in my free time. I worry that I will be completely out of my depth if surrounded by kids that live and breathe Chemistry.

Obviously, this is all conditional on being awarded the required grades (A*A*A) at A-Level, but the decision has to be made regardless. I do not want to look back and strongly regret the choice I made. Anyway, thanks for reading and please be as harsh as you like in your responses.

You are not alone in your fears of being out of depth when applying to the top unis, they gave you an offer because they are convinced that you are more than capable

Would advise you go for it imo, but your choice at the end of the day
(edited 4 years ago)
not been myself, but heard that lots of people have imposter syndrome when they get into oxford? it's a competitive course and you were chosen out of the many people who applied, so try not to worry about not being good enough :smile:

think the factors you do need to consider is whether you want to live there for 3/4 years rather than close to home. sure you'll do well wherever you go though!
@nexttime might be able to help
Original post by dlsoii

Hello OP!

You are suffering from a very common problem: imposter syndrome. Probably most, if not, nearly every offer holder has that. You are not alone!

Geniuses, even at Oxford, are very rare. Most are people like yourself who had to strive hard for their place, do extra research, swot for those exams etc. Most, if not all, came out of their interviews believing they had done terribly, and they could kiss goodbye to Oxford.

It can be a bit of shock if you are the best at your school and you suddenly get to Oxford and find that if you get 48% for an essay, it's a good mark. And that others may be more intelligent than you. Well, you don't need to be the best, you just need to keep up.

You don't have to be a chemist at the end of your degree if you don't want to. You can just use it as a stepping stone to another career. You could go into law, for instance, or consultancy.

Look at Margaret Thatcher. She came up to Somerville for chemistry, and look where she ended up! And at the time, she felt out of place. There was a table reserved exclusively for girls from the top public schools like Benenden, for instance, and she longed to be sitting at that table. Apparently according to her tutor, she was only competent at chemistry, but this didn't stop her finding her niche. It was at Oxford that she fell in love with politics and this grocer's daughter (like me, lol) soon rose to be president of the Oxford uni conservative association. Oh and she didn't get a first class degree, either!

I have asked as many Oxford students as I can how they felt about coping at Oxford, and they gave exactly the same response as you. None thought they were good enough, and that Oxford must have made some mistake. If you are worried, my son (German graduate) talks about imposter syndrome and what you can expect at Oxford in the link below.

Even though you thought you were maybe not as passionate as your friends, the tutors must have seen some spark in you that they liked. What they do not want is someone who thinks they are too good for the course, who does not listen to or respect the tutors, and even worse, someone who will sit there like a lemon and not care about what is being taught. You are not that person, and remember, they chose YOU. They believed in you. They knew you could make some kind of contribution. Don't you want to be part of all that?

So your mother wants to keep you at home and go to the uni nearest to you. Why is that? Is it money? Because Oxford has one of the most generous bursaries in the UK. Is it fear of the unknown? Well, see what you think after you have read my son's chapter. Are you worried about your fellow students? My son left a couple of years ago and is still in touch with his uni friends. Most are from state school.

The most important thing to stress is that it doesn't matter what I think, or TSR, or your Mum, or the Queen of Sheba. It is what YOU want that counts. And if Oxford is what you want, Oxford is where you should go.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6100320
As someone doing physics at Cambridge I can say that your fears of being surrounded by people who "live and breath chemistry" are silly. There are people like that here sure but the majority simply enjoy the subject and happened to get good A Levels.

Also fyi degree classes are somewhat controlled between universities, if you could get a 2.1 anywhere else you'd likely get a 2.1 at oxford, and the more personalised teaching definitely helps; which you've shown to respond well to, given that it's the primary purpose of the interviews.

Don't worry about the maths or physics, you'll find that in the relevant areas for a chemist (thermodynamics and atomic quantum mechanics, both of which you know from a level) the mathematics is not the demanding aspect. Even then the grunt of it won't be until second year and you'll get very good preparation in the first. (and of course, you'd be doing the same subjects no matter what university you go to)
(edited 4 years ago)
Accept it you’ll regret it forever
Original post by Christian12
Accept it you’ll regret it forever

Why? Have you been to Oxford uni and have had personal experience?
Original post by dlsoii

Pros:
Oxford, as a whole, has a very low drop out rate
If you've been accepted then they think you can do it. If f.maths was needed, it would be a requirement.
No, not everyone 'lives and breathes chemistry'. It is normal to not have a career ambition.
If you are struggling with the chem course it is sometimes possible to change course. Biochemistry, for example, is a common switch.
It is objectively true to say that Oxford grads earn more. The holidays are very long - good for internships etc if that is your thing.
There are loads of non-academic reasons go to Oxford. The colleges, the societies, the city and people, make it very unique.

Cons:
It is a very maths heavy course - any high level chemistry is. Whilst other courses that don't even touch on quantum mechanics, calculating rates of reaction etc obviously won't be.
Among Oxford courses, chemistry has a high drop out rate.
It is harder to achieve a 2.1 at Oxford than at other unis. Many recruiters don't understand this and won't even consider you without a 2.1.

Neutral:
Personally, I'd be striving to get out of the family home at all costs. The uni experience is very, very different if you live at home, and I personally feel you aren't an adult until you've lived independently.

I'd go for Oxford definitely, but the biggest factor for me in this would be getting away from parents! Otherwise, there are powerful arguments either way.
If you have an offer, it's because the tutors believe that you're capable of achieving at least a 2:1.

You won't be assessed in your university exams on how much you love Chemistry. Many people who go to Oxford are highly intellectual students who take great pride in possessing a huge amount of knowledge and are deeply passionate about their subjects. Equally, many Oxford students are simply intelligent people whose real passions and career ambitions are totally unrelated to their degrees. You don't need to be an aspiring chemist to get a great degree. One only has to look at the huge numbers of STEM graduates going into finance roles, or the large numbers of History graduates that go on to train as lawyers.

Ultimately, it's your choice. However, given how rigorous the admissions process, it's unlikely that you could have gotten in through luck or as the result of some kind of mistake. You deserve that offer!
Tip top comment from @historicism

An offer holder encouraging and helping another offer holder

Loving it
Hello, I am new to this but I came across your dilemma and thought I would reply. I don’t normally do this but I think you have to consider the following. Firstly congrats on the offer. That’s an achievement within itself. Now consider this. You go to Oxford, the degree is hard and you may have some regrets on choosing the course. Then after year one, look to change your degree but remaining at Oxford. You graduate with a 2:2, and you think you could have done better if you went to another Uni. But you still have a degree from Oxford. You may be paranoid about the 2:2, but then after 5 years, you have a job, but you still an Oxford grad and will be for the rest of your life. Once you get a job, people don’t care what A Levels you got, what class you got. They don’t care what uni you went to. They see if you are a smart individual which I am sure you are. Uni is not just about studying, it’s about experiencing life, where you can discover yourself. Of course you have to study but the alumni and people you will have met is priceless. Academics only take you so far in life, it’s how you decide to live your life and live it to the max. Oxford will be an experience that will take you far. Also, move away from your home. Choose freedom from your parents for a few years. Of course this is on condition that you get the grades and hope that you do. Good luck but to me this is a no brainer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending