The Student Room Group

What are most highly paid professions?

In the next academic year I'm going to start my A levels which are maths, chemistry and physics. At first, I wanted to be an engineer but I'm not sure if they get paid as much as I originally thought. My dad reckons it would be a good idea to become a pilot but I'm not sure about that as It seems even more expensive than university. What other kinda professions are worth going into (pay wise) with the subjects I've chosen.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Could do practically anything lucrative with those A Levels like Finance/Banking, Accounting, Business etc. I'd genuinely reconsider engineering if pay is what puts you off - engineering regularly comes up as one of the best paid UK professions.
Original post by tmr19
Could do practically anything lucrative with those A Levels like Finance/Banking, Accounting, Business etc. I'd genuinely reconsider engineering if pay is what puts you off - engineering regularly comes up as one of the best paid UK professions.

What kinds of engineering are the best paid?
Reply 3
Original post by rsidofdhoidsh
What kinds of engineering are the best paid?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+type+of+engineering+pays+the+most+uk :biggrin:

Also consider that it's pointless solely going into something for money, consider whether you can see yourself doing that job for 40+ years
How about petroleum? I believe our generation is one of the Last to do this tho
In the next academic year I'm going to start my A levels which are maths, chemistry and physics. At first, I wanted to be an engineer but I'm not sure if they get paid as much as I originally thought. My dad reckons it would be a good idea to become a pilot but I'm not sure about that as It seems even more expensive than university. What other kinda professions are worth going into (pay wise) with the subjects I've chosen.

The one that you enjoy, so will give your all to. Picking a career solely on salary is a recipe to hate 40+ hours a week - it will drain the life from you.
Original post by RogerOxon
The one that you enjoy, so will give your all to. Picking a career solely on salary is a recipe to hate 40+ hours a week - it will drain the life from you.

I can't seem to find anything that I will actually find interesting or fun so I think it's best to go for what my strengths are and so I may as well do something that makes money, no?
Reply 7
I can't seem to find anything that I will actually find interesting or fun so I think it's best to go for what my strengths are and so I may as well do something that makes money, no?

That's fair - I was/am in a relatively similar position to you. That's why I decided on something that pays well, but won't occupy my whole life and lends itself well to self employment (accounting). That means I'd both have good money but also some time to actually enjoy spending it :biggrin:
Original post by tmr19
That's fair - I was/am in a relatively similar position to you. That's why I decided on something that pays well, but won't occupy my whole life and lends itself well to self employment (accounting). That means I'd both have good money but also some time to actually enjoy spending it :biggrin:

So, you think I should aim for whatever makes a good amount of money then?
Reply 9
Law can be a very well paid career, but this depends on many factors, e.g. the area of law you work in, your seniority within a firm/company, whether you're a solicitor, barrister or legal executive, what type of company/law firm you work in etc.

Partners in a law firm can easily achieve more than £150,000, but again this is subject to the above factors (and more)
Reply 10
So, you think I should aim for whatever makes a good amount of money then?

Naturally I'd say go for something well paying, but I'd make a lot of effort to ensure that you get a good work/life balance, or that money is irrelevant. IB pays *** you money, but you also work 80+ hours a week and sacrifice the best years of your life working a mind numbing job as a replaceable pawn
Okay, the best-paid professions:
0. Chairman/Majority share Holder (Board of directors). This is where the real money is :smile:
1.CEO/CFO/CIO (This needs no explanation)
2. Private Equity/ Investment Banking/Hedge Fund (If you can make it to a managing director level £800k+ you can per year in Salary and Bonuses)
3. Software Engineering/ IT (If you are In Silicon Valley, you can expect $220k+ per year a few years after graduating)
4. Neuro Surgeons/ Highly experienced medical professionals.

*This list is not exhaustive enough! It is just to give you an idea. You may not have heard of some of these professions or industries, it is for you to do the research.
***Don't chase money, do what you love and be smart monetisation and long term growth. Some footballers, musicians, YouTubers earn more than CEOs. Just be smart about your choices and focus on living a fulfilled life in accordance with good morals/ ethics (this could be following Jesus's principles). There are many depressed and stressed bankers! Thus, you can be wealthy but not happy.

I hope this helps and I wish all of you the best life has to offer! :smile:
Original post by tmr19
Naturally I'd say go for something well paying, but I'd make a lot of effort to ensure that you get a good work/life balance, or that money is irrelevant. IB pays *** you money, but you also work 80+ hours a week and sacrifice the best years of your life working a mind numbing job as a replaceable pawn

Hmm, alright :P
Original post by Haider_A
Law can be a very well paid career, but this depends on many factors, e.g. the area of law you work in, your seniority within a firm/company, whether you're a solicitor, barrister or legal executive, what type of company/law firm you work in etc.

Partners in a law firm can easily achieve more than £150,000, but again this is subject to the above factors (and more)

I would have liked to try and become a lawyer but my English ability is way too poor.
Additionally, The chances of AI (Artificial Intelligence) taking over existing jobs is very high!
From accountancy, manufacturing to medicine and even banking! So do some research on how technology will affect the occupation you desire!
Reply 15
I would have liked to try and become a lawyer but my English ability is way too poor.

Don't let that stop you!

I work within a very large commercial law firm and the level of supervision (specific to a firm/company) that you get on all aspects of your work (including English writing skills) is very good. I've learnt so much whilst on the job and that's in addition to doing A Level English Literature.

Which 'A' levels do you enjoy? Which aspects of them?
midwife
Original post by Haider_A
Don't let that stop you!

I work within a very large commercial law firm and the level of supervision (specific to a firm/company) that you get on all aspects of your work (including English writing skills) is very good. I've learnt so much whilst on the job and that's in addition to doing A Level English Literature.

Well I'm still not sure - I feel like it would be a lot more easier just sticking to the sciences since they're what I am good at
Original post by RogerOxon
Which 'A' levels do you enjoy? Which aspects of them?

I haven't started my A levels yet but I will be in the next academic year starts. I only started thinking about potential career options recently

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending