The Student Room Group

Biomed or Medicine

Hi, I'm currently doing my levels and do not know how to choose between Biomed or Medicine. Lots of jobs in the Medicine sector require a full medical degree for jobs such as Virologists or Pathologists in general. Also, I have looked at biochemistry and pharmacology but biomedical science appeals to me the most. I want to do the Biomed course at Oxford, but I dont want to make the mistake of doing a biomed degree and then doing medicine after. Can anyone help......
Reply 1
i heard lots of jobs in biomed research are oversaturated.
With a medicine degree under your belt, you can easily transfer to research positions and you will have more and better career opportunities than as life sciences graduate. Going from biomed/biochem to medicine is much harder and more expensive.
Reply 3
As a biomedic turned medic, Id say go and see what people’s lives are... go shadow a BMS, be virology or other pathology departments. Also shadow a doctor.
Your career path and requirements in the future are very different. But its not wrong or bad to do an undergrad and then medicine, if anything thats when you know exactly which one u would like more.
If you are into research you wouldnt get into pharmaceutical research as a medical doctor, this is rather a competitive field and you will need a PhD, while with biomed you can get a company to support you through phd and there are more research opportunities. But I dont think you are even thinking about research at this point.
On another note, I dont think biomed at oxford is IBMS accredited meaning when you finish you might not get a straight into pre-registration and require top up modules after graduation to be able to register and work as a biomedical scientist in a diagnostic laboratory setting (NHS). Try to go for IBMS accredited courses should you choose going down this route as it will keep your options open when it comes to finding a job or applying for further professional training.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending