The Student Room Group

Chances to get into LSE Master of Finance with only 68 average in 2nd year?

Hey guys,
I am a second year student at University of York studying Accounting and Finance.
My dream is to study the MSc Finance at LSE, which is obviously super competitive. The requirements state minimum 2.1 but the majority taken into the course have had a First.
Do you know anyone who made the cut with a high 2.1 (68)? I have a summer internship at BlackRock coming up.
Do most students apply at the start of 3rd year with their 2nd year grades? I am hoping to get a First in 3rd year so I can apply with these grades.

Thanks guys!
Hello!

Don't know If this is going to be much help but LSE really cares about your GPA, especially for their finance & management masters. They also give a lot importance to the GMAT/GRE, so a stellar score (720+) could give you an advantage, although applicants usually have an excellent GPA & GMAT/GRE.
My advice is to apply anyway, you will not know if you don't, and other components of your profile (even though LSE gives them minor importance) could make a difference.
Cheers and good luck!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Hey @Archeklain,Thanks for your reply, so would you suggest taking the GMAT test even if they usually don't require it from UK undergraduate students?In case you're familiar with these MSc finance programs, would you say Warwick and Imperical Finance Master can compare well enough in terms of the placements in London?
Original post by Banananerd
Hey @Archeklain,Thanks for your reply, so would you suggest taking the GMAT test even if they usually don't require it from UK undergraduate students?In case you're familiar with these MSc finance programs, would you say Warwick and Imperical Finance Master can compare well enough in terms of the placements in London?

No worries! Well, I am not extremely familiar with the exact placements of Finance Masters in London, but I worked part-time for admissions at a US Business School, and most of the UK applicants we had were from LSE or Warwick undergrad for Masters, and Oxbridge for PHD. Here is the advice I can give you.

Our partners were LSE, Imperial, LBS and the University of Edinburgh. I consider that the best institutions in terms of Masters in Finance are:

-LBS -> Pros: their MFA is a great program and their placements are very good, the school really has a good reputation & stellar rankings.
Cons: It is not their flagship program and relatively new compared to there programs, if that's a con.

-Imperial -> Pros: Great program with a wide variety of specializations, often considered as the best university after Oxford and Cambridge and tech/engineering focused school.
Cons: Might not be as established as LSE's Finance Masters, even though I am not really sure it makes a difference in 2020.

-LSE -> Really good school, great reputation, safe bet and very established MSc Finance program.
Cons: Often not highly ranked compared to its peer institutions, if rankings matter.

I would consider these 3 programs to be equal in terms of difficulty to get in (VERY selective) and placements, but there could be nuances as I am not an expert in Finance careers.

Considering other BSchools, Cambridge Judge also has an MPhil in Finance, which is more difficult to get into than the three above.
Besides, Warwick BSchool is a great institution, but I would consider it a tier below and it is not located in London, which is important for networking.

Coming back to your case, and you might want to discuss this with a career counsellor at your uni, but I would recommend to take the GMAT or GRE if you have the time and money for it. Preparing and taking the test once or several times is expensive and even though English is your native language, standardized test are not always an easy fit.
Also, considering that 80% (if not more), of the students in these 3 masters programs are Internationals, they will all have GMAT/GRE, and that could also differentiate you as you will be one of the few British applicants with a score. Of course, if you don't reach a very high score, do not mention it in your application.

I hope this helps and don't hesitate if you have any other questions,

Cheers!
Reply 4
Original post by Archeklain
No worries! Well, I am not extremely familiar with the exact placements of Finance Masters in London, but I worked part-time for admissions at a US Business School, and most of the UK applicants we had were from LSE or Warwick undergrad for Masters, and Oxbridge for PHD. Here is the advice I can give you.

Our partners were LSE, Imperial, LBS and the University of Edinburgh. I consider that the best institutions in terms of Masters in Finance are:

-LBS -> Pros: their MFA is a great program and their placements are very good, the school really has a good reputation & stellar rankings.
Cons: It is not their flagship program and relatively new compared to there programs, if that's a con.

-Imperial -> Pros: Great program with a wide variety of specializations, often considered as the best university after Oxford and Cambridge and tech/engineering focused school.
Cons: Might not be as established as LSE's Finance Masters, even though I am not really sure it makes a difference in 2020.

-LSE -> Really good school, great reputation, safe bet and very established MSc Finance program.
Cons: Often not highly ranked compared to its peer institutions, if rankings matter.

I would consider these 3 programs to be equal in terms of difficulty to get in (VERY selective) and placements, but there could be nuances as I am not an expert in Finance careers.

Considering other BSchools, Cambridge Judge also has an MPhil in Finance, which is more difficult to get into than the three above.
Besides, Warwick BSchool is a great institution, but I would consider it a tier below and it is not located in London, which is important for networking.

Coming back to your case, and you might want to discuss this with a career counsellor at your uni, but I would recommend to take the GMAT or GRE if you have the time and money for it. Preparing and taking the test once or several times is expensive and even though English is your native language, standardized test are not always an easy fit.
Also, considering that 80% (if not more), of the students in these 3 masters programs are Internationals, they will all have GMAT/GRE, and that could also differentiate you as you will be one of the few British applicants with a score. Of course, if you don't reach a very high score, do not mention it in your application.

I hope this helps and don't hesitate if you have any other questions,

Cheers!

Thanks for your detailed answer @Archeklain!!
I will defnitely start studying for the GMAT now. I think you're right about me possibly getting higher chances by getting a high score which could make up for my 68 in 2nd year.

Any ideas if some of these school are more likely to offer Grants or scholarships to cope with the high tuition fees?
Original post by Banananerd
Thanks for your detailed answer @Archeklain!!
I will defnitely start studying for the GMAT now. I think you're right about me possibly getting higher chances by getting a high score which could make up for my 68 in 2nd year.

Any ideas if some of these school are more likely to offer Grants or scholarships to cope with the high tuition fees?

My pleasure! All these universities have an interesting portfolio of scholarships, you would have to check your eligibility as each scholarship is different.

Nevertheless, as these institutions only take the best students and consider a lot of different indicators, including: GPA, GMAT/GRE, English proficiency, Personality, Background, Career Project, Professional Experience, Undergraduate institution, Interview (if invited), References (both academic and professional) and Essays (Extremely Important). the scholarships are only offered to the "best of the best of the best".

My advice is that it never hurts applying and send emails to negotiate to get a scholarship if you get an offer, in the US a lot of people do that actually!

I hope this helps,

Best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending