The Student Room Group

not trying to be offensive or anything but did covid-19 acc start by ppl eating bats?

im not trying to be rude....im rlly just curious. Wdut.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vix.xvi
im not trying to be rude....im rlly just curious. Wdut.

I'm not sure tbh. I know that was a rumor going round but I have no clue whether it is true
Unknown.
We don’t know yet and may never find out. One thing’s for sure though, it spread like wildfire around that wet market, the same one which the WHO just helped reopen.
has anyone noticed how this is EXTREMELY like The Maze Runner. If you have read all the books and not just the main ones (like yours truly) you would notice that ALL their problems started with the planet heating up and the lack of resources. (COUGH COUGH global warming). To reduce the population the government let out a virus that they thought they could control with a cure but as it grew and spread it evolved into an unknown and uncontrollable virus they called the Flare (covid-19 to us). I'm not saying that the Chinese government started this but I'm not saying that they didn't. I mean its a bit of a coincidence that people were saying that China had the highest population and a virus started there that is wiping out half the world. I mean HELLO!
But yes, I just looked it up and they think it started in bats. That doesn't mean they ate the bats though. It could be that the bat died and as it decomposed maybe corona went into the soil where people grew crops. Ta da. They have the virus.

Anyways, that's my ideas.
Original post by destinymae
has anyone noticed how this is EXTREMELY like The Maze Runner. If you have read all the books and not just the main ones (like yours truly) you would notice that ALL their problems started with the planet heating up and the lack of resources. (COUGH COUGH global warming). To reduce the population the government let out a virus that they thought they could control with a cure but as it grew and spread it evolved into an unknown and uncontrollable virus they called the Flare (covid-19 to us). I'm not saying that the Chinese government started this but I'm not saying that they didn't. I mean its a bit of a coincidence that people were saying that China had the highest population and a virus started there that is wiping out half the world. I mean HELLO!
But yes, I just looked it up and they think it started in bats. That doesn't mean they ate the bats though. It could be that the bat died and as it decomposed maybe corona went into the soil where people grew crops. Ta da. They have the virus.

It’s not wiping out half the world, it wasn’t created in a lab either, that was ruled out months ago
COVID-19 was passed on to humans from an animal. What animal this exactly is, is unknown. Eating bats isn't recommended though.
Original post by SnowMiku
COVID-19 was passed on to humans from an animal. What animal this exactly is, is unknown. Eating bats isn't recommended though.

Honestly I’m sick remembering some of the stuff I managed to dig up, videos of people eating some disgusting stuff and live animals 🤢🤮
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by destinymae
I'm not saying that the Chinese government started this but I'm not saying that they didn't.

You should say they didn't.

I mean its a bit of a coincidence that people were saying that China had the highest population and a virus started there that is wiping out half the world.

Not even close to half the world. ~191,000 globally. Around 2% of the earth's population

Back to the drawing board.
Original post by Greywolftwo
Honestly I’m sick remembering some of the stuff I managed to dig up, videos of people eating some disgusting stuff and live animals 🤢🤮

oh.... :frown:

Holy moly.
Original post by SnowMiku
Holy moly.

Yeah I dug up loads of stuff, people eating live baby mice. Bats that were in a bowl of soup. Live squid, the list goes on.
Original post by Drewski

191,000 is less than 2% of the earths population.
I watched a really good documentary, I believe by Vice, on the origins of COVID-19. I will try and find the video (it was on YouTube for sure) but it explained delicately and without being racist the origins of the virus and also the history of wet markets in China.

I believe in the documentary it explained it came from bats and because of the way in which the dead animals are stored in the wet market (primarily in cages) the 'fluid' of the bats etc would have leaked onto other species, like pangolins, and infected that way.

However, I have watched other documentaries by *evidently* anti-China media outlets who suggest it comes from a lab but there really isn't much evidence to corroborate that. I think for the latter explanation, it's very much a situation where if you will for it and try hard enough to see it, you will link the Wuhan lab to the virus - despite the logic being inconsistent.

I have a lot of friends in China and I was speaking to one of them through We Chat and she said to me that the timeline we have seen from China is a lie. She couldn't say much more because her account would be locked otherwise.
Original post by Quintons
191,000 is less than 2% of the earths population.

Typo that it's not letting me correct
Original post by Drewski

I agree. I am sick of this ‘China released it as a bioweapon’. There have been similar diseases to SARS-CoV-2 found in bats/ is similar to the coronaviruses found in bats. Covid-19 virus is also similar to the SARS virus though there are key differences. Viruses mutate all the time and there are also plenty of zoonotic diseases, which do not require mutation to be infectious across mammal species, such as BSE and Q Fever. Swine flu and bird flu are among other examples of mutated viruses becoming infectious to us. SARS-CoV-2 has an R0 value of 5.7 hence it’s spread along with the fact it can be airborne in droplets. For comparison flu is about 1 and measles is 18, but we have vaccines for those. But the reality is nobody can say for sure at the moment where it ‘came from’ unfortunately.
Yeah I dug up loads of stuff, people eating live baby mice. Bats that were in a bowl of soup. Live squid, the list goes on.

I honestly don't know what to say.... why would you eat live mice!? That's just unnecessarily cruel.
It’s not wiping out half the world, it wasn’t created in a lab either, that was ruled out months ago

It was a theory and an exaggeration.
Original post by Drewski
You should say they didn't.
I'm not saying they did but I'm not saying they didn't. This is why it is called a theory. No one knows. And you have to admit this is like the Maze Runner. In the books the kids had the Flare but didn't show any signs of it like some of the people getting covid.

Not even close to half the world. ~191,000 globally. Around 2% of the earth's population
It was an exaggeration

It was a theory/ interpretation taking ideas from a book
Original post by Jamie_1712
We don’t know yet and may never find out. One thing’s for sure though, it spread like wildfire around that wet market, the same one which the WHO just helped reopen.

why did they even reopen it? if it started from them they should leave them closed out of curiosity why do they eat bats and other stuff? i thought bats are supposed to carry a lot of diseases

Quick Reply

Latest