The Student Room Group

A Level Computer Science Help

Hey everyone.

I hope everyone is coping well with the current situation right now. I’m doing okay myself, but am struggling loads in computer science. I got a 9 at GCSE which I was very proud of, but at A Level I’m consistently getting Cs/Ds. I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong. My teacher is a bit awful because she contradicts herself all the time and only reads off the powerpoint, she adds nothing of her own information. My exam technique is awful and in the tests there are questions that I’ve never seen before/content we’ve never been taught, so I obviously start to panic. It’s stressing me out so much I can’t cope. What should I do? I’m in Year 12.
Reply 1
How is your content knowledge & are there any topics in particular that you’re struggling with?
Reply 2
Original post by adina456
How is your content knowledge & are there any topics in particular that you’re struggling with?

I’m struggling a lot with stacks + queues, web technologies, databases, elements of computational thinking, computing related legislation... you get the idea.

Programming is a breeze for me though, I’m still quite good at it. However, my teachers decided to start the programming project this year instead of Year 13 so I’m even more stressed because I have no idea what to do, how to analyse or develop anything.
Reply 3
Original post by localtoast
I’m struggling a lot with stacks + queues, web technologies, databases, elements of computational thinking, computing related legislation... you get the idea.

Programming is a breeze for me though, I’m still quite good at it. However, my teachers decided to start the programming project this year instead of Year 13 so I’m even more stressed because I have no idea what to do, how to analyse or develop anything.

I would suggest ‘Craig and Dave’ on YouTube to help with content understanding. For topics like computational thinking and computer legislation, we were kinda left to it as the best way to succeed in the exam for these types of questions is to regurgitate the content in the textbook, with context. However, to help with your understanding, general research should help.

Which exam board are you with btw?

We also started our coursework at the end of year 12, trust me you’ll thank your teacher later. Which language are you programmining in?

I’m year 13 now so feel free to hit me up with any specific questions :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by adina456
I would suggest ‘Craig and Dave’ on YouTube to help with content understanding. For topics like computational thinking and computer legislation, we were kinda left to it as the best way to succeed in the exam for these types of questions is to regurgitate the content in the textbook, with context. However, to help with your understanding, general research should help.

Which exam board are you with btw?

We also started our coursework at the end of year 12, trust me you’ll thank your teacher later. Which language are you programmining in?

I’m year 13 now so feel free to hit me up with any specific questions :smile:

Also there’s a website called ‘W3Schools’ which give you practical experience with and knowledge of the web technologies
Reply 5
For the written work, exam technique is really important. In my classes, students who should've been getting As were getting Cs because of it. I improved mine a lot by bashing out practice questions (I did this for all sciences and compsci and they definitely helped each other because there isnt a lot of compsci resources out there.) Unfortunately there aren't many a level papers out there at all but if u read the mark schemes from the GCSE papers you'll begin to get a better sense of what phrases tend to come up over and over again. When you do class tests, try and take note of where u missed marks because u had the right idea but phrased it wrong or missed a detail. Eventually you will remember the specific details the exam boards want in different questions.

Quick Reply

Latest