The Student Room Group

Where to add self taught skills in my CV?

Hi all, my current CV takes a standard form of the following sections:
- Name and contact details at top- Education - Work experience in reverse chronological order (starting with current job and going back)With lockdown on, I've taught myself Python (a coding language) and have built an app (nearly ready to push onto Google Play Store!).The thing is, this was entirely done on my own, and not directly related to my job (I'm a commercial data analyst, but not a programmer).I am quite proud of the fact that I taught myself this and think it'd look good on my resume, but where do I put it?Do I add it right at the end, and risk the recruiter missing it? Or should I add it at the end of my current job with a "self taught" header or something?
You could have an additional skills section and list it there with self taught in brackets afterwards.
Original post by claret_n_blue
Hi all, my current CV takes a standard form of the following sections:
- Name and contact details at top- Education - Work experience in reverse chronological order (starting with current job and going back)With lockdown on, I've taught myself Python (a coding language) and have built an app (nearly ready to push onto Google Play Store!).The thing is, this was entirely done on my own, and not directly related to my job (I'm a commercial data analyst, but not a programmer).I am quite proud of the fact that I taught myself this and think it'd look good on my resume, but where do I put it?Do I add it right at the end, and risk the recruiter missing it? Or should I add it at the end of my current job with a "self taught" header or something?

Interests

2020-date App Developer
Self-taught Python including ...........................
Designed and created an app that ............................
Tested ...........................................
Currently negotiating with Google Play Store to ................................
Original post by threeportdrift
Interests

2020-date App Developer
Self-taught Python including ...........................
Designed and created an app that ............................
Tested ...........................................
Currently negotiating with Google Play Store to ................................

Would this go at the end of my CV I'm guessing?
Original post by claret_n_blue
Would this go at the end of my CV I'm guessing?

Yes, the sections, in order, should be Education, Experience and Interests.
I wouldn't even bother adding self-taught just add it to a skills section and if you feel like you're at an intermediate or advanced level add that too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending