The Student Room Group

CV help

18 with no work experience, always getting declined for jobs or have an interview and get turned down. too ugly and untalented. is it impossible for me to get a job
Original post by Etoile2004
18 with no work experience, always getting declined for jobs or have an interview and get turned down. too ugly and untalented. is it impossible for me to get a job

I'm not an expert in this area, but I will see what help I can offer where I can.

What sort of job are you looking for? Don't just say any.
hello Etoile :smile:
from my experience, some pepple hire based on connections

does your school have a careers service to link you to a job? 🫂
Reply 3
You don't need work experience to get a job, you need transferable skills. Have you ever been a Cadet, on a committee, helped organise an event? Things like that can show responsibility, problem-solving, time management etc.

Your CV needs to be tailored to every job to which you apply and should bring out how you match up to the key words in the job advert. In the meantime, do online courses or get involved with volunteering, community work etc and boost your skill set.
It can be really difficult getting noticed, I think you sometimes just have to be persistent and keep following up applications, or walk around the shops and literally go in and ask if there are vacancies and leave your cv with the manager etc. Nobody is untalented or ugly so those aren't the reasons why you haven't been successful yet. Volunteering is a good start if you can afford to do it - things like charity shops or food banks, or listening to kids reading in your local primary school. Anything that involves working with others can build skills and a network and you never know where it might lead!
Getting your first job can be challenging, especially without prior work experience, but it's not impossible. Focus on building your skills and gaining experience through internships, volunteering, or part-time positions. Don't let self-doubt hold you back; confidence and perseverance can make a significant difference in your job search. Remember that everyone starts somewhere, and your determination can ultimately lead to job success.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending