The Student Room Group

Why do people think motorways are safe?

Someone could have a heart attack or stroke at any time, or even sneeze and then the car swerves and causes a crash. What if an insect falls on them or their blood sugar level drops. Like anything could happen and it could cause a terrible crash. Motorways are not safe.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Someone could have a heart attack or stroke at any time, or even sneeze and then the car swerves and causes a crash. What if an insect falls on them or their blood sugar level drops. Like anything could happen and it could cause a terrible crash. Motorways are not safe.

Because, statistically, they are.

And why are you wasting anon on this?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
Because, statistically, they are.

And why are you wasting anon on this?

What an awful abuse.

This thread is ridiculous. What if an insect falls on them, really?
Reply 3
Original post by Bio 7
What an awful abuse.

This thread is ridiculous. What if an insect falls on them, really?

An insect fell on my head when I was driving but I was only on a quiet road.
Reply 4

Not really going to cause a crash is it?
Do you have anxiety? You could ‘what if’ yourself into oblivion.
Reply 6

If you regularly drive with tarantulas, then maybe I'd understand.

Otherwise, grow up.
Reply 7
Original post by YaliaV
Do you have anxiety? You could ‘what if’ yourself into oblivion.

What if I fart and startle a driver and they crash into a massive lorry and the road is blocked? Everyone just keeps going like brakes don't exist.

Carnage.
Reply 8
Original post by Bio 7
What if I fart and startle a driver and they crash into a massive lorry and the road is blocked? Everyone just keeps going like brakes don't exist.

Carnage.

What if aliens invade?
What if a herd of elephants stampede across the M42?
What if Godzilla comes over and knocks down Spaghetti junction?

Motorways are clearly deathtraps :fuhrer:
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
What if aliens invade?

Not Spaghetti junction!
Reply 10

A case in point for why your ilk shouldnt be allowed near the wheel of a car if you can't handle a bloody bug.
Reply 11
Original post by Drewski
What if aliens invade?

In fairness, this one would probably solve most of our woes :lol:
Chances of death on a motorway are too slim to be worried
Reply 13

This could literally happen anywhere though. Motorways are safer (statistically) than any other road.

I honestly prefer to take the dual carriageway to college than I do the other roads: It's quicker, you can go faster, and just cruise. After all, there's less to think about. You're literally just going in a straight line, overtaking every now and again
OP, you could think of any situation and have a 'what if', for something to go wrong. For example, why do people cross the street? You could be hit by a car.
Reply 15
Original post by Drewski
What if aliens invade?

Original post by Bio 7

Carnage.

You two have really brightened up my day :laugh:
Driven on the motorway once.. never again
Motorways are safer because, well, that's what the statistics show. About 7 times safer iirc and I think 4 times safer for smart motorways.

Comparing motorways to residential roads is basically the same comparison of planes and cars. It's one of those facts that's technically true but has a massive asterisk on the end.

Motorways are safer because there is a lower volume of accidents. However, as is the case with planes, when an accident does happen, it's usually far more serious.

Whereas residential roads are more like cars in the latter comparison. There are more accidents, but they tend to be a lot less serious.
Original post by TheMcSame
Motorways are safer because, well, that's what the statistics show. About 7 times safer iirc and I think 4 times safer for smart motorways.

Comparing motorways to residential roads is basically the same comparison of planes and cars. It's one of those facts that's technically true but has a massive asterisk on the end.

Motorways are safer because there is a lower volume of accidents. However, as is the case with planes, when an accident does happen, it's usually far more serious.

Whereas residential roads are more like cars in the latter comparison. There are more accidents, but they tend to be a lot less serious.

Motorways and dual carriageways are safer because traffic is separated. The only traffic you can crash into is all going the same direction at the same speed.

Big accidents happen when fast moving traffic hits stopped or slow moving traffic. That is unusual as most motorway miles are done with all traffic travelling at very similar speeds.

Motorways really are a very safe way to travel in terms of fatalities per distance travelled.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending