The Student Room Group

Help Needed: Law Advice for Someone without Work Experience

Hello, I am a Year 13 student who is hoping to get a degree in English from King's College London and then do a GDL.

I somewhat regret doing English, but I feel like a gap year would be a bad idea considering the current crisis so I've decided that a GDL would be a better idea.

The problem is, whilst I have gotten heavily involved in school activities and events, I have no legal work experience. In fact, I have no good work experience outside of school. The closest thing that I have to legal experience is a 'Law Day' I attended in Year 12 and a visit to the nearby Magistrates Court.

I have no good excuse for this, it's my fault. However, I can't change what I have done in the past.

As I don't have the resources to fund my own GDL, I know that I will need a training contract so that law firms will sponsor me. However, knowing that Law is an incredibly competitive field, I am unsure that I will be able to secure anything with my current lack of work experience.

I was hoping to join the Law Society at KCL and to attend extra-curricular activities related to law as much as possible, but the Coronavirus pandemic may stop me from being able to access opportunities like that in the first year.

Does anyone know what I should do from here in order to secure a legal contract? Or if there are any good opportunities that I can do during the pandemic? As unlikely as that is.

I really want to do a GDL and eventually be hired by a good law firm.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending