The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

About MMorse for 2009 entry

hi everyone,
I jus got my AS results, i scored 2 A's in maths and chemistry and jus missed my A's in physics and biology and so ended up getting top B's in those.
I was told by teachers that thy will predict me A's in maths, chemistry, physics and further maths A.S. next year.
I am also taking AEA papers next year.

So i am jus wondering if i would stand decent chance applying to MMORSE or not ?.
I am also planning to take a gap year during which i am gonna self teach Further maths A 2. But does taking a gap year would reduce my chances of getting in.

Any comments would be really appreciated and thanks for the replies.
-Cool j
Reply 1
Hi

Ive got a MMORSE place for 2008, so the stuff I'm about to say is from the handbook for 08/09 and so could be slightly out of date. Check the website though just to see if the requirements are the same this year. (link)

The admissions tutors give a standard offer out to everyone for MORSE and so the one that you would need to meet would be an AAA in maths chem and phys. and then A at AS further maths (AAAa) OR AAB plus a merit in an AEA.

If you want to take a gap year, they will want to know exactly what you are going to do, because its not ideal to lose all your maths skills before the start of the course. They would most likely ask you this at interview. As long as you keep up doing some maths (which you would doing the F maths A2) they shouldnt really have an issue.

Hope that helps
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Wraggy
Hi

Ive got a MMORSE place for 2008, so the stuff I'm about to say is from the handbook for 08/09 and so could be slightly out of date. Check the website though just to see if the requirements are the same this year. (link)

The admissions tutors give a standard offer out to everyone for MORSE and so the one that you would need to meet would be an AAA in maths chem and phys. and then A at AS further maths (AAAa) OR AAB plus a merit in an AEA.

If you want to take a gap year, they will want to know exactly what you are going to do, because its not ideal to lose all your maths skills before the start of the course. They would most likely ask you this at interview. As long as you keep up doing some maths (which you would doing the F maths A2) they shouldnt really have an issue.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the reply tht was very helpful.
When i checked the website it says the grade requirement is AAB(inc. Maths at A grade + AS level A or B). Does it mean that if you do mathematics A level you get lower offer ?

and wat sort of AS level grades u got (i am jus asking it to see if i stand any chance) and wat sort of questions did they ask in the interview ?

Thanks for the reply once again and hope you enjoy your course next year.
Reply 3
coolj
Thanks for the reply tht was very helpful.
When i checked the website it says the grade requirement is AAB(inc. Maths at A grade + AS level A or B). Does it mean that if you do mathematics A level you get lower offer ?

and wat sort of AS level grades u got (i am jus asking it to see if i stand any chance) and wat sort of questions did they ask in the interview ?

Thanks for the reply once again and hope you enjoy your course next year.

In the standard offer you must get an A in A2 Maths. So there isn't really a lower offer no. The offer is more dependant on whether you do further maths.

I'll point out that you do not need to have done A2 Further Maths to get in, however we were told at interview/open days that knowing the content if you didnt do it would be helpful.

I got a's at AS although what is more important is what your UCAS predicted grades will be from your college/school, as thats what the uni sees. So if you and your teachers know you can get A's at A2 then dont worry about your AS results, after all you could do retakes if you needed to.

The interview was basically another open day to be honest. A campus tour, talk from the lectures, and then the actual interview was a casual chat about "Why MORSE" and "Why Warwick" etc. I didnt have any maths questions, although i recall one or two other tsr peeps said they got asked about some maths. Nothing to worry about though
Reply 4
Wraggy
In the standard offer you must get an A in A2 Maths. So there isn't really a lower offer no. The offer is more dependant on whether you do further maths.

I'll point out that you do not need to have done A2 Further Maths to get in, however we were told at interview/open days that knowing the content if you didnt do it would be helpful.

I got a's at AS although what is more important is what your UCAS predicted grades will be from your college/school, as thats what the uni sees. So if you and your teachers know you can get A's at A2 then dont worry about your AS results, after all you could do retakes if you needed to.

The interview was basically another open day to be honest. A campus tour, talk from the lectures, and then the actual interview was a casual chat about "Why MORSE" and "Why Warwick" etc. I didnt have any maths questions, although i recall one or two other tsr peeps said they got asked about some maths. Nothing to worry about though

cheers for the reply m8 tht was very helpful

Latest