The Student Room Group

How many highers did you leave school with?

Bit of a weird one

How many highers did you leave school with, especially if you’re at university.

Basically right now it looks like I might leave school with ten highers (5 from S5, and 5 in S6) and I am curious to know how many others left with to give me a rough idea if my subjects give me a good chance of getting in to uni.

Thanks in advance :smile:
I took four Highers in S5 and one plus an Advanced Higher in S6 this year, and received all unconditionals for university. So by the looks of it you definitely have a really good chance of getting in :grin:
None, I buggered off after 4th year then used a City & Guilds to get into higher education down the line.
Reply 3
Original post by elliemcbay
I took four Highers in S5 and one plus an Advanced Higher in S6 this year, and received all unconditionals for university. So by the looks of it you definitely have a really good chance of getting in :grin:

If you don’t mind me asking what did you study? That’s really good news that I might be able to get an unconditional :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
None, I buggered off after 4th year then used a City & Guilds to get into higher education down the line.

That reminds me of someone I know, they left in fourth year and then managed to buy a pretty successful business. It’s good how many opportunities there are
Original post by mary388
That reminds me of someone I know, they left in fourth year and then managed to buy a pretty successful business. It’s good how many opportunities there are

I left school in mid 90's and tbh getting work was sooo much easier. Assuming you had the basic standard grades/gcses in Maths & English and had a bit of skill with IT, PC's, switchboards ect...you could walk into some good jobs, I ended up a manager for a large telecoms place on about 22k by 20 (which def wasn't bad for 2002 wages). The DWP were a lot more helpful as well, they would potentially provide funding for training, driving licence & vehicle, tools ect if you had a decent plan to do something yourself. Hell, we even had a scheme for people who wanted to doss about till their music career took off :tongue:

Different game now, If i was in school now i'd def stay for Higher/A levels.
Original post by mary388
Bit of a weird one

How many highers did you leave school with, especially if you’re at university.

Basically right now it looks like I might leave school with ten highers (5 from S5, and 5 in S6) and I am curious to know how many others left with to give me a rough idea if my subjects give me a good chance of getting in to uni.

Thanks in advance :smile:

I haven’t left yet but:

S5: 3 highers
S6: hopefully: 3 highers
Additional highers at college: 2 highers

So hopefully I will go to uni with 8 highers
(edited 3 years ago)
S4 - 1 higher
S5 - 5 highers
S6 - 2 higers

so 8 highers :smile:
Original post by mary388
If you don’t mind me asking what did you study? That’s really good news that I might be able to get an unconditional :smile:

I did English, history, business management, modern studies and biology at both Higher and Advanced Higher, which I realise is quite ironic since I've ended up doing an English degree :K:
Class of 2020 here sadly.
I did 5 highers in S5 and 1 higher alongside 3 AH’s this year.
I’m going to Uni in September.
What I can say is, I thought I would do like 5 highers in s6 as well in order to have 10 highers. However, universities aren’t bothered about that. The top uni’s want the grades in the first sitting so the initial 5 highers, therefore it is not necessary to do an extra 5 highers and instead i’d stick to subjects I already have knowledge of or do lighter subjects so I’m not completely stressed.
Just see what you get in August then choose your subjects depending on if you met the grades or not.
Reply 10
Original post by fucthesqa
Class of 2020 here sadly.
I did 5 highers in S5 and 1 higher alongside 3 AH’s this year.
I’m going to Uni in September.
What I can say is, I thought I would do like 5 highers in s6 as well in order to have 10 highers. However, universities aren’t bothered about that. The top uni’s want the grades in the first sitting so the initial 5 highers, therefore it is not necessary to do an extra 5 highers and instead i’d stick to subjects I already have knowledge of or do lighter subjects so I’m not completely stressed.
Just see what you get in August then choose your subjects depending on if you met the grades or not.

I’ve already ‘sat’ five highers (exams were cancelled) and so my new timetable has five completely new highers right now if that makes things clearer
Reply 11
Original post by mary388
I’ve already ‘sat’ five highers (exams were cancelled) and so my new timetable has five completely new highers right now if that makes things clearer

And my school discourages people from doing advanced highers so I sadly can’t tKe any in 6th hear
Original post by mary388
And my school discourages people from doing advanced highers so I sadly can’t tKe any in 6th hear

Oh okay I would advise to do AH so that you can build more knowledge on what you’ll be studying at Uni assuming it’s related to your subjects. Anyway, those 5 additional highers are great but it’s unnecessary. If you do happen to get the grades this year I would drop like 3 of them. Uni’s don’t look at the amount of highers they look at the grades of the ones during S5
Reply 13
Original post by fucthesqa
Oh okay I would advise to do AH so that you can build more knowledge on what you’ll be studying at Uni assuming it’s related to your subjects. Anyway, those 5 additional highers are great but it’s unnecessary. If you do happen to get the grades this year I would drop like 3 of them. Uni’s don’t look at the amount of highers they look at the grades of the ones during S5

Thank you for your answer, I did think it was a bit excessive how my school was making people do 5 in both S5 and S6 but what can we do.
Original post by elliemcbay

Sorry if this is intrusive but what course and universities was this for? Just wondering as it will be the exact same as me!
Original post by mary388

I am doing 2 Advanced Highers this year - physics and maths, so all going well I'll leave with 7 Highers + 2 Advanced Highers.

Our school does allow Advanced Highers, but only for a limited number of subjects, I only get 3 lessons a week for each advanced higher and the rest we are expected to self teach from notes. Our physics teacher tells us that is because they just can't afford the teachers for 6 periods. Physics AH started with a class of 6 and 3 have dropped out. Maths AH started with 15 and now down to 10. The lack of teacher availability is a big problem. This year I have 12 study periods each week.
I left school with 7 highers, all at As. In art, english, modern studies, Spanish, Italian, French, and politics.

I also had an advanced higher A in modern studies (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending