The Student Room Group

Will UK accept an American M.Ed?

Hi there!

I fell in love with an American, and in a desperate attempt to join him there as well as somehow make myself employable in the US I am now looking into doing a Master's. I want to teach ESL at an international school, however the university in his state does not offer an MATESOL. What they do offer is an M.Ed with ESL endorsement. I looked at the courses and some of them are very American-based, whilst others not so much.

I want to return to the UK at some point (also if things don't work out...) and I want to make sure employers in the UK don't scratch their heads and disregard my MA in Education because it was in America.

My other options would be to do an MA in Linguistics which would prepare me for ESL anywhere quite nicely, however I have studied linguistics before as part of my BSc in Psych and I didn't particularly enjoy it.

I could do an MA in English, but the university does not offer an ESL endorsement for that.

Thoughts? Anyone?
Reply 1
how much does the American course cost? I've heard some horror stories about M Eds in the US - not the quality of the course but the sheer expense. Could you find work with a TEFL certificate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending