The Student Room Group

Medical Talks Ideas

Scroll to see replies

Original post by St George's, University of London
Some particular things I found interest in are the use of artificial intelligence in cancer identification, cancer genes and the approaches to treatment for those at high risk (it's very drastic i.e. mastectomy/hysterectomy so I looked into research about 'switching off' the BRCA1/2 mutations). Another option is to find a rare condition that you're particularly interested in (NORD has a database of all rare diseases) and looking into the diagnosis/treatment etc (and if it's a super rare disease the docs who come to watch are unlikely to know much about it.

Hope that helps!
Lauren
2nd Year Biomedical Science Student
SGUL Official Rep

thank you!! will defo have a look through some of these diseases
i think i’m going to email RSM on monday so keep the titles coming in!!!! i’ll have a look through all of them tomorrow
Original post by ammywammy
Hi,

I’m currently a year 12 student studying for my A Levels and an aspiring medic, however have not been able to get hold of work experience after months of searching and hard work and effort as all the placements had to be cancelled cos of covid-19.

Instead I have made the decision to deliver a talk/presentation to the RSM (Royal Society of Medicine) in an online zoom webinar. They are offering a number of webinars with lots of doctors involved including some well known medical authors eg Henry Marsh.

Most of the time doctors and consultants usually join these webinars so I have NO CLUE on what to deliver my talk on???? It has to be something which will entice doctors to come and watch but also something that they don’t know about which I am able to research?? Anyone have any ideas??????? Kudos to those who come up with good titles?????

Thanks!!!

First of all, that's so cool that you are delivering a talk, it will look great on your CV.
I guess anything on deep learning or AI will always be a hot topic, and maybe if you were to combine this with it identifying biomarkers for therapeutic targets of prognostics and treatment (could also highlight the possibility of public distrust with AI in medicine).
Another thing that I am personally rather interested in at this moment is deep learning with CNS-ALL. Such as if there was a program or AI system that could realtime analyse and code for metabolic reprogramming within the CNS microenvironment that would be indicative of CNS involvement of ALL. Then many ALL patients may not need to undergo CNS prophylaxis, which is rather toxic and causes a multitude of adverse side effects, especially in paediatrics where ALL is the most common cancer type. Tbh I'm not too sure on how far the research on this has came yet as I'm only a biomedical engineering grad and not a medic, but it's definitely quite an interesting concept, especially in paediatric oncology.

Very best of luck with your talk, and please do share what you decided upon to present.

Regards
Original post by Lewis T K
First of all, that's so cool that you are delivering a talk, it will look great on your CV.
I guess anything on deep learning or AI will always be a hot topic, and maybe if you were to combine this with it identifying biomarkers for therapeutic targets of prognostics and treatment (could also highlight the possibility of public distrust with AI in medicine).
Another thing that I am personally rather interested in at this moment is deep learning with CNS-ALL. Such as if there was a program or AI system that could realtime analyse and code for metabolic reprogramming within the CNS microenvironment that would be indicative of CNS involvement of ALL. Then many ALL patients may not need to undergo CNS prophylaxis, which is rather toxic and causes a multitude of adverse side effects, especially in paediatrics where ALL is the most common cancer type. Tbh I'm not too sure on how far the research on this has came yet as I'm only a biomedical engineering grad and not a medic, but it's definitely quite an interesting concept, especially in paediatric oncology.

Very best of luck with your talk, and please do share what you decided upon to present.

Regards

thanks so much for your help!!! since most people have said AI and i wanted to do a survey i think i cld poss do a survey with general public woth how comfortable they feel with beibg treated by AI!!
thanks so much for your help!!! since most people have said AI and i wanted to do a survey i think i cld poss do a survey with general public woth how comfortable they feel with beibg treated by AI!!

That sounds very interesting, and relevant with Hancock plugging Babylon's AI app!
Hi,

I’m currently a year 12 student studying for my A Levels and an aspiring medic, however have not been able to get hold of work experience after months of searching and hard work and effort as all the placements had to be cancelled cos of covid-19.

Instead I have made the decision to deliver a talk/presentation to the RSM (Royal Society of Medicine) in an online zoom webinar. They are offering a number of webinars with lots of doctors involved including some well known medical authors eg Henry Marsh.

Most of the time doctors and consultants usually join these webinars so I have NO CLUE on what to deliver my talk on???? It has to be something which will entice doctors to come and watch but also something that they don’t know about which I am able to research?? Anyone have any ideas??????? Kudos to those who come up with good titles?????

Thanks!!!

Do you mean that RSM have offered you the chance to deliver a webinar? Or that you want to do one and offer it to them in hope that they’ll take you up on it? I wasn’t quite sure from your message which one it was. If they’ve offered you the chance, then great! Have they given you any guidance about what sort of topic they’d like?
Original post by junior.doctor
Do you mean that RSM have offered you the chance to deliver a webinar? Or that you want to do one and offer it to them in hope that they’ll take you up on it? I wasn’t quite sure from your message which one it was. If they’ve offered you the chance, then great! Have they given you any guidance about what sort of topic they’d like?

hi im thinking of writing them to ask them to give me a webinar and explain circumstances as i have zero experience with docs no work experience as all got cancelled cos of covid19 so imma try and persuade them, have u got any topics in mind?? thanks xx
hi im thinking of writing them to ask them to give me a webinar and explain circumstances as i have zero experience with docs no work experience as all got cancelled cos of covid19 so imma try and persuade them, have u got any topics in mind?? thanks xx

Ah that’s what I wondered, as I hadn’t seen any webinars done by school students.
With the greatest respect, I would contact them before you start preparing anything - as there is never any harm done in asking, but I’m not sure that they will say yes. And you don’t want to waste time.
The topics that have been suggested already sound reasonable. Essentially it needs to be something topical and engaging that you have the knowledge on, that other people don’t.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending