The Student Room Group

Applying to Unis all with high entry reqs

I’m looking to apply to uni for history and after looking, the ones I’m interested in applying to are:
Oxbridge (probs Cambridge), UCL, LSE, KCL, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Durham , Bristol and Exeter. Of all these Unis, the standard offer is AAA-A*AA so if my 5 came from these, I wouldn’t rlly have a choice that I’d comfortably get into. For context I have rlly good GCSES and I’m pretty sure I’ll be predicted more than A*AA. I have also engaged with my subject through wider reading, lectures and essay competitions. However, Ik there’s no guarantee of receiving offers from any as they are all competitive. My thinking is that since I might pursue career paths such as law (possibly the bar) after uni and this is very competitive, I do not think there’s is a point in going if I don’t go to a top tier uni. Maybe if I don’t get in I will take a year out and reapply. Do you think it would be stupid not to apply somewhere with lower entry requirements as a backup - I want to give myself more opportunity to get into the Unis that I rlly like and I think a backup would waste my 5th choice. I would also definitely not be eligible for contextual offers. Sorry I realise that was a lot.
You will get atleast 1 offer I can guarantee. Other than the very top few, most unis offer anyone with good enough gcses, predicteds and ps a place. The only issue is if you’re sure you’ll get the grades and that’s something only you really know
I'm confused whether you're applying for English law or Scottish Law. Wdym you wouldn't have a choice to comfortably get into? You look like you have a good application academically with genuine interest but for most of your unis you will need to do the LNAT (and CLT if you want to go to Cambridge) and do well in the MCQ and Essay (UCL and Oxford are obsessed with the essay) and ace your interview for Oxbridge as that's very important for them. The personal statement is also important but you have a lot of stuff to talk about and pick out what's relevant. I dont think you are stupid for not having a safety because you are willing to resit and you really like those unis; I only see the point in having a backup if you just want to do the course or you are comfortable going to that course (e.g. I only have one safety because I wouldn't mind going to that uni but I wouldn't with any lower unis because of preference). Also, there's always clearing for lower entry requirements. Dont worry I've seen longer posts that I had to scroll down to read :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by PetitePanda
I'm confused whether you're applying for English law or Scottish Law. Wdym you wouldn't have a choice to comfortably get into? You look like you have a good application academically with genuine interest but for most of your unis you will need to do the LNAT (and CLT if you want to go to Cambridge) and do well in the MCQ and Essay (UCL and Oxford are obsessed with the essay) and ace your interview for Oxbridge as that's very important for them. The personal statement is also important but you have a lot of stuff to talk about and pick out what's relevant. I dont think you are stupid for not having a safety because you are willing to resit and you really like those unis; I only see the point in having a backup if you just want to do the course or you are comfortable going to that course (e.g. I only have one safety because I wouldn't mind going to that uni but I wouldn't with any lower unis because of preference). Also, there's always clearing for lower entry requirements. Dont worry I've seen longer posts that I had to scroll down to read :biggrin:

I don’t want to do law? I want to do history
Original post by Mayataylor
I don’t want to do law? I want to do history

Ohhh I didnt see you wrote you want to do history I'm sorry I assumed. Honestly my advice is still relevant just ignore LNAT and replace HAT sorry again :biggrin:

Oh I read it as she’s applying to history for UG then might go into law in the future

Op if you’re applying for law, it’s probably best to have a few less competitive unis. I think only some unis ask for lnat but you probably know all that. I have no idea really.

If you’re applying to history you’ll be absolutely fine in getting offers.
Out of ur options, I don’t know anyone who was rejected from Bristol, KCL or Exeter
UCL and Durham seemed quite hit and miss whether an applicant will receive an offer but you seem to have good grades so I think you have a good shot
LSE and Cambridge are obviously different. No one is guaranteed an offer from them but you have the grades and should apply if you want to
Original post by Mayataylor
I’m looking to apply to uni for history and after looking, the ones I’m interested in applying to are:
Oxbridge (probs Cambridge), UCL, LSE, KCL, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Durham , Bristol and Exeter. Of all these Unis, the standard offer is AAA-A*AA so if my 5 came from these, I wouldn’t rlly have a choice that I’d comfortably get into. For context I have rlly good GCSES and I’m pretty sure I’ll be predicted more than A*AA. I have also engaged with my subject through wider reading, lectures and essay competitions. However, Ik there’s no guarantee of receiving offers from any as they are all competitive. My thinking is that since I might pursue career paths such as law (possibly the bar) after uni and this is very competitive, I do not think there’s is a point in going if I don’t go to a top tier uni. Maybe if I don’t get in I will take a year out and reapply. Do you think it would be stupid not to apply somewhere with lower entry requirements as a backup - I want to give myself more opportunity to get into the Unis that I rlly like and I think a backup would waste my 5th choice. I would also definitely not be eligible for contextual offers. Sorry I realise that was a lot.

If you're confident that you'll be able to meet their requirements and you don't fancy going to anywhere asking for anything lower than AAA, then go for it, put 5 high entry requirement unis. Just be aware that sometimes,circumstances can change and affect you e.g. the coronavirus meaning that this year's A level exams being cancelled, and it would be wise to have a backup in case something does go seriously wrong. But I guess the 'taking a year out' isn't a bad idea either if you REALLY don't want to go anywhere else.

Judging by what you've said, I reckon that you'll get at least 4 offers (hard to say for Cambridge) so I wouldn't worry too much about getting rejected from them.
Original post by JGoosey2002
Oh I read it as she’s applying to history for UG then might go into law in the future

Op if you’re applying for law, it’s probably best to have a few less competitive unis. I think only some unis ask for lnat but you probably know all that. I have no idea really.

Out of ur options, I don’t know anyone who was rejected from Bristol, KCL or Exeter
UCL and Durham seemed quite hit and miss whether an applicant will receive an offer but you seem to have good grades so I think you have a good shot
LSE and Cambridge are obviously different. No one is guaranteed an offer from them but you have the grades and should apply if you want to

You're totally right I misread it. I only know much about Durham and it's very competitive for history but I think OP can get an offer as well. True, it's worth trying and seeing if you can get in
Reply 8
Original post by JGoosey2002

Yeah that’s what I meant haha :smile:
Reply 9
You're totally right I misread it. I only know much about Durham and it's very competitive for history but I think OP can get an offer as well. True, it's worth trying and seeing if you can get in

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending