The Student Room Group

What to do?

Im in year 13 and my predicted grades arent the best as things were happening at home that impacted my learning last year. Im scared I wont get into any unis and I don't want to take a gap year and I don't want to rely too much on clearing. I am having mocks on January, but what can I do to get some offers/ get into unis this year?
Original post by Koffevibez
Im in year 13 and my predicted grades arent the best as things were happening at home that impacted my learning last year. Im scared I wont get into any unis and I don't want to take a gap year and I don't want to rely too much on clearing. I am having mocks on January, but what can I do to get some offers/ get into unis this year?

You've missed-out two key details. What are your predicted grades? What subject are you interested in studying at uni?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You've missed-out two key details. What are your predicted grades? What subject are you interested in studying at uni?

I was predicted ABC but my teachers on the day of my application predicted me down to a BBD (The D was from a teacher who hates my guts and my other teacher wasn't told abt my change in grades). I want to do business management
I was predicted ABC but my teachers on the day of my application predicted me down to a BBD (The D was from a teacher who hates my guts and my other teacher wasn't told abt my change in grades). I want to do business management

OK. That's not disastrous. BBD is 104 UCAS points. Even if we ignore courses with foundation years, there are quite a few Business Management degrees out there for which you'd meet the requirements.

For example, the University of Bolton want 104 UCAS points. (Details here.) Also, the University of Northampton want BCC, which is probably fine. (Details here.)

Have you looked around much yet? To where were you hoping to apply?

I would suggest applying to 2 BBB universities and seeing what happens. If you achieve higher grades you can use clearing or apply next year. Most courses BBB or below are likely to be in clearing anyway. That is why they ask for lower grades because they wouldnt be able to fill spaces.
Look for degrees with a good placement year. As well as the Astons and Surreys that have high entry grades there’s some good courses at universities like Bournemouth where the entry requirements aren’t high but a placement will make the degree far more employable that a theory heavy course offered at some Russell groups.
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
OK. That's not disastrous. BBD is 104 UCAS points. Even if we ignore courses with foundation years, there are quite a few Business Management degrees out there for which you'd meet the requirements.

For example, the University of Bolton want 104 UCAS points. (Details here.) Also, the University of Northampton want BCC, which is probably fine. (Details here.)

Have you looked around much yet? To where were you hoping to apply?

I was gonna try leeds since a girl last year got accepted with CCC and a foundation at Warwick as my aspirational
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Look for degrees with a good placement year. As well as the Astons and Surreys that have high entry grades there’s some good courses at universities like Bournemouth where the entry requirements aren’t high but a placement will make the degree far more employable that a theory heavy course offered at some Russell groups.

Ik im asking for too much but are there any good unis with low req?
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
I would suggest applying to 2 BBB universities and seeing what happens. If you achieve higher grades you can use clearing or apply next year. Most courses BBB or below are likely to be in clearing anyway. That is why they ask for lower grades because they wouldnt be able to fill spaces.

Ive alrdy applied since our schls made everyone apply before jan, but how long does it take to get accepted or rejected
Ive alrdy applied since our schls made everyone apply before jan, but how long does it take to get accepted or rejected

It varies. It could be a few weeks. It could be a few month's. Unis have until June to make a decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending