The Student Room Group

Does Cambridge care about my AS grade?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GogetaORvegito?
I think I am but i'll get back to you on this to confirm it

If you are then you need to withdraw from the exam then or you'll have to put the grade on your UCAS application. Your teacher should not be telling you the grade ...
Original post by Reality Check
No problem. If you remember and get a chance, will you just update me on this thread. I'd be interested to know what happened. Thanks :smile:

Sure thing
No problem. If you remember and get a chance, will you just update me on this thread. I'd be interested to know what happened. Thanks :smile:

So I haven't heard back from the teacher yet...I just had a thought though. Wouldn't it look better to keep sports as a predicted grade with my other subjects just so it looks like a nerf to my main three subjects, since it really was. Just seeing the main three alone with mediocre grades will look pathetic, if sports is added on to the list I at least have a official reason why.

Also I actually do remember telling my sports teacher if I should drop it or not but he said it'll get you more ucas points, then without doing any research I just went with the flow.
(edited 3 years ago)
So I haven't heard back from the teacher yet...I just had a thought though. Wouldn't it look better to keep sports as a predicted grade with my other subjects just so it looks like a nerf to my main three subjects, since it really was. Just seeing the main three alone with mediocre grades will look pathetic, if sports is added on to the list I at least have a official reason why.

Also I actually do remember telling my sports teacher if I should drop it or not but he said it'll get you more ucas points, then without doing any research I just went with the flow.

Thanks for getting back :smile:

I still don't recommend that - if you're going to be predicted a poor grade in it, then you might as well sack if off, particularly given the rest of the context regarding it not even being relevant to your chosen uni course. One poor grade alongside 3 mediocre isn't any better than 3 mediocre, and in many ways are worse.

It's a shame your sports teacher told you this - unless you're planning on applying to the very few (mainly crap) universities which still offer on a UCAS tariff score, rather than a certain number of A level grades.
I dropped my 4th A level subject after my AS exams, because it didn’t go well at all, but part of me wanted to carry on with it because I felt like it made all my grades look worse. I had A/A*s in everything else, so I wanted to carry on with that A level to hide my AS grade.
I don’t know if it would have actually made much difference, but I would definitely have retaken it in October if I had the opportunity. How much work do you think it would take to get a better grade in sports science?

If you are still studying it when you complete your UCAS form, then drop it later, won't you have to go to every single offering university and ask permission to drop it? I thought offers were made on the basis of knowing the whole set of exams you were taking, even if the exam isn't directly included in the required grades?

Mind you, there must be some kudos to be gained to having a sports science qualification in a CS department!
Original post by Dancer2001
I dropped my 4th A level subject after my AS exams, because it didn’t go well at all, but part of me wanted to carry on with it because I felt like it made all my grades look worse. I had A/A*s in everything else, so I wanted to carry on with that A level to hide my AS grade.
I don’t know if it would have actually made much difference, but I would definitely have retaken it in October if I had the opportunity. How much work do you think it would take to get a better grade in sports science?

For me sports is really boring so it takes me to be in an actual good mood to revise it and find it tolerable compared to my other subjects that I feel at home with. I'd rather sack it off so it doesn't make me depressed and bring the other subjects down with it.

I still don't recommend that - if you're going to be predicted a poor grade in it, then you might as well sack if off, particularly given the rest of the context regarding it not even being relevant to your chosen uni course. One poor grade alongside 3 mediocre isn't any better than 3 mediocre, and in many ways are worse.

It's a shame your sports teacher told you this - unless you're planning on applying to the very few (mainly crap) universities which still offer on a UCAS tariff score, rather than a certain number of A level grades.

Hmmm I guess your right. It'll just dig a deeper whole if I keep it.

So my Sports grade has been sent to the exam boards and it is too late to withdraw that grade since they were submitted a couple weeks ago according to their deadlines. :frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
So my Sports grade has been sent to the exam boards and it is too late to withdraw that grade since they were submitted a couple weeks ago according to their deadlines. :frown:

Oh dear. Well, that's that then. Nothing you can do about it now, and it won't be decisive, anyway (with any luck). :smile:
Oh dear. Well, that's that then. Nothing you can do about it now, and it won't be decisive, anyway (with any luck). :smile:

Yeah just got to shine even harder with my final a level exams
Yeah just got to shine even harder with my final a level exams

Exactly - that's the attitude to have! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending