The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

white people can never suffer racism at its finest. lemme tell you why, white people have never been oppressed in the past, like ever. white people were never subject ti slavery, white people never had to deal with the horrible effects of segregation and stigma, white people have never been scared of the police and police brutality in america. im not racist at all, but white people don't suffer real racism. stop being so desperate to be oppressed. you're the most dominant race unfortunately so stop complaining lmao. white people will never suffer from racism. period.
Reply 21
Obvious troll, but I must ask. Was this directed at a specific user who you disagree with?
Original post by khadijaaaxxxx
white people can never suffer racism at its finest. lemme tell you why, white people have never been oppressed in the past, like ever. white people were never subject ti slavery, white people never had to deal with the horrible effects of segregation and stigma, white people have never been scared of the police and police brutality in america. im not racist at all, but white people don't suffer real racism. stop being so desperate to be oppressed. you're the most dominant race unfortunately so stop complaining lmao. white people will never suffer from racism. period.

The current generation of black people haven't been subjected to slavery either. Although their answers endured terrible, terrible things, its not the current generations of black people's right to mistreat the current generation of white people.
Original post by jger_rams2019
If you want to know why people say ,"white people can't experience racism", you have to first understand the difference between racism (and other-ism's) and prejudice.

An ism-, such as racism, has to include systemic (within systems like the government or police force for example) and systematic (widespread, very common) hatred and injustices. These are things that are grown over time and develop in a society, or were ingrained when a society was being built that continually disadvantage populations like POC, women, LGBT+ etc. Think of it as a group hate that isn't necessarily carried out by an individual, but occurs frequently enough in a population that it makes life hard.

Prejudice is an individual, pre-made judgement of people and things. So, when someone, perhaps a POC, says that all white people suck and are racist, they are showing prejudice against a group. The significance of this difference is that them saying you suck doesn't cause you to be targeted by police, doesn't cause you to face cyclical poverty, and doesn't extend to your ability to live in this world like an -ism would cause.

So, POC can be prejudice against white people but they cannot be racist towards you. And white people as a group have yet to experience racism in modern Western societies.

This is just rubbish. Racism does not need to be systemic and widespread for it to be racism. Racism is discrimination based on someone’s race which means you can just as racist to a white person as to be black person, end of story. As a white person I’ve had racial comments made about my skin. Do black people in general suffer more from it? Of course, but that doesn’t make racial attacks against whites any less racist.
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Obvious troll, but I must ask. Was this directed at a specific user who you disagree with?

Why is it an obvious troll? His point is perfectly coherent and rational. Lots of people on this website have said whites can’t experience racism which is just not true.
Original post by Anonymous
The current generation of black people haven't been subjected to slavery either. Although their answers endured terrible, terrible things, its not the current generations of black people's right to mistreat the current generation of white people.

ok fair enough but, history is still relevant to today. the impacts and effect of slavery have never really ended have they? personally i just dont believe white people can be subject to real racism, however i respect your opinion! :smile:
Reply 26
Why is it an obvious troll? His point is perfectly coherent and rational. Lots of people on this website have said whites can’t experience racism which is just not true.

Didnt someone else already explain it wonderfully? Individual racism and systematic racism are different. Sitting here and trying to play the Oppression Olympics with 'whos more of the victim' takes away from the actual people who are being shot by cops because of their skin colour in the US. Over in the US, it is systematic.
And I was just wondering after an interesting pm I received a few days ago that matched up to this :rolleyes:
Look at all these cowards posting as anon.
There are people out there who still think you can’t be racist to whites? Lmao
Didnt someone else already explain it wonderfully? Individual racism and systematic racism are different. Sitting here and trying to play the Oppression Olympics with 'whos more of the victim' takes away from the actual people who are being shot by cops because of their skin colour in the US. Over in the US, it is systematic.
And I was just wondering after an interesting pm I received a few days ago that matched up to this :rolleyes:

They’re both still racism, which is the point. I don’t think the OP was saying that whites suffer systemic racism, the point was that you can be racist towards white people, so the claim that whites can’t experience racism is false. It’s not the oppression Olympics either, that’s just a silly catchphrase used to detract from the actual issue. Saying it’s possible to be racist against whites is clearly not the same as saying whites suffer more.

Exactly. Lots of black people have never experienced racism so it’s dumb to tar them all with same brush. Both blacks and whites can be racist. Both blacks and whites can experience racism. No one can give a logical reason for why whites can’t supposedly experience racism
Original post by khadijaaaxxxx
ok fair enough but, history is still relevant to today. the impacts and effect of slavery have never really ended have they? personally i just dont believe white people can be subject to real racism, however i respect your opinion! :smile:

If a white person suffers an attack, be it verbal or physical, or any other kind of discrimination based purely on their skin colour and race then they have experience racism, by definition.
Reply 32
They’re both still racism, which is the point. I don’t think the OP was saying that whites suffer systemic racism, the point was that you can be racist towards white people, so the claim that whites can’t experience racism is false. It’s not the oppression Olympics either, that’s just a silly catchphrase used to detract from the actual issue. Saying it’s possible to be racist against whites is clearly not the same as saying whites suffer more.

It is possible. But saying this just now during what is happening in the US turns it into white people wanting attention because they no longer have it. That is the Opression Olympics, much like what OP was saying.
In this context with what is going on, to say that anyone suffers racism when we are just dealing with one thing shows that some people feel 'left out' of the bandwagon.
White people can be discriminated against individually. Not systematically the same way that ethic minorities are. Idk why SOME white people are so desperate to be oppressed. I’m half white English, btw.

SPILL!!
y'all want to be oppressed so bad GOD
It is possible. But saying this just now during what is happening in the US turns it into white people wanting attention because they no longer have it. That is the Opression Olympics, much like what OP was saying.
In this context with what is going on, to say that anyone suffers racism when we are just dealing with one thing shows that some people feel 'left out' of the bandwagon.

Maybe that’s the case with some people but it would be silly to generalise. Just because something is going on in the us doesn’t mean we can’t continue to make factual points regarding a thread someone has made that deals with what racism is and who it can be applied to
Let this sink in,

People who say "you can't oppress the oppressors" are generalising all white people as oppressors. SOME may be oppressors, but not every white person is.

Statements like that are just as bad as saying that all x race are ys , i.e all black people are criminals WHICH IS NOT TRUE . And although I am usually open minded, if you disagree with anything which I've just said , then I would say you are a racist.

I 100% agree, plus I don’t know why everyone says white people have privileges, I’m white and I don’t think I’ve ever experienced “white privilege” over dark skinned people
Original post by nightingalegend
y'all want to be oppressed so bad GOD

If you are in the UK and are black, you probably haven't experienced the kind of racism that's going on in the US either. Being black doesn't mean you've inherently experienced systematic racism. I see MANY black lawyers, doctors, soldiers, engineers all over the UK.
Reply 38
Maybe that’s the case with some people but it would be silly to generalise. Just because something is going on in the us doesn’t mean we can’t continue to make factual points regarding a thread someone has made that deals with what racism is and who it can be applied to

Those are not the reasons that people are bringing it up. People are stuck in quarantine and want attention.
Original post by DiddyDec
Look at all these cowards posting as anon.

Needs stricter moderation. This isn't advice on everyday issues.

Latest

Trending

Trending