The Student Room Group

Please could someone explain this to me? (Laws of indices)

I was doing a practice quiz for my exams to do with Laws of indices and I come across the question which is the image below.

In my exam I'm allowed a calculator however when I type the equation in it doesn't give me an answer anywhere near to what is correct.. Could someone explain? Am I typing it in wrong on my calculator, or how do I work it out on paper?
nn.PNG
Reply 2
You introduced a negative sign in your answer for no reason
the negative in the index means "one over"
Ohhhhhhh, I understand now thankyou
Reply 5
As someone else mentioned the negative index, x-n means 1/(xn) =(1/x)n. I think it's important to have an understanding of why this is the case, as it might not be that clear when first seeing this.

Consider powers of 2.

21=2, 22=4, 23=8, and so on. Each time i increase the index by 1, i multiply by 2. So if i want to go in the other direction i need to divide by 2. so to go from 23=8 to 22 i divide by 2. ie 22=(23)/2=8/2=4.
I can continue in this way to get that 20=(21)/2=1 (this is essentially why x0=1 for all x).
I can keep decreasing the index by 1, so now 2-1=(20)/2=1/2, 2-2=(2-1)/2=1/4=(1/2)2, and so on. In general, we get that 2-n=(1/2)n.

If you want the more general result that x-n=(1/x)n then you can just replace 2 with x above, the argument is exactly the same.

Quick Reply

Latest