The Student Room Group

HOMESCHOOLING (GCSE level) - what’s it like, how does it work etc

I am thinking about working from home for my GCSEs and I just had a few questions, I would really appreciate some advice :smile:
1) does anyone have any experience in teaching themselves through textbooks and online resources? I wouldn’t be having a tutor and my parents are happy to help, but really it would be down to me to spend the day working
2) is it hard just learning from books and websites without class discussion etc?
3) how will I know how well I’m doing? I can mark past papers easily for maths but for subjects like English it’s hard to mark
4) what about language? I’d be doing German and I think this would be the hardest one to teach myself?
5) how do you do your work? like do you have an exercise book like you were at school? or notebooks for notes and exercise books for practice questions? how do you learn and plan lessons or do you just copy out of textbooks?
6) is it possible to get the good grades (all 9s) I’m aiming for without a tutor? (I’m in year 9 and get 6/7s in maths and science and religious studies and geography etc (we never do English exams) but apart from maths this is just tests on one or two topics so obviously not the same thing)
7) social life? I know it doesn’t have to be lonely and you can do lots of clubs etc but you are still alone when learning? is this a good or bad thing?
8) how do you motivate yourself? do you follow a schedule? how long do you work for? what’s a typical day like?
9) is it hard to be motivated without teacher praise?
10) is it sad to miss out on prom/leavers? (I’d get that in sixth form as I’m definitely not doing a levels at home but still)
I’m so sorry this is so much, if someone answered even one or two of these it would be really helpful. I don’t know anyone else who is homeschooled and just really needed some advice. Thanks in advance 😁
Hi, as we are in lockdown we kind of have to do home-schooling but once out of lockdown i do not recommend it as its really hard to learn at home with all the distractions. I'm a GCSE student myself so i understand the struggles of working at home. sorry if this doesn't help you but from what i can see u seem a little worried and i think you should stay at school. you have all the resources and teachers to give u advise and give u target grades. As much as it sounds fun, in reality it is not and as a yr. 9 student I don't recommend it ur still young u need to get as much support and advise as much as possible
Reply 2
Original post by HAZEL_DULCE
Hi, as we are in lockdown we kind of have to do home-schooling but once out of lockdown i do not recommend it as its really hard to learn at home with all the distractions. I'm a GCSE student myself so i understand the struggles of working at home. sorry if this doesn't help you but from what i can see u seem a little worried and i think you should stay at school. you have all the resources and teachers to give u advise and give u target grades. As much as it sounds fun, in reality it is not and as a yr. 9 student I don't recommend it ur still young u need to get as much support and advise as much as possible

hi, thanks for this, I will 100% take this into account. there are quite a few reasons that my family and I are considering this, one of the main ones is that we are probably moving and now because of lockdown that won’t be done by September. One of the places we are considering doesn’t really have any good schools apart from a grammar and the wait list is huge. Obviously if it is the wrong thing working from home we will reconsider and move somewhere more locally or maybe wait until after GCSEs etc but this was one of the main reasons. I’m really enjoying doing the work from home atm and always been an independent learner, I find it much easier just learning on my own and find homework a lot easier than school work and actually find more distractions there. I get that it isn’t all fun and everything and Ik it would be hard why is why answers like this are really helpful so thanks, I’ll definitely take your points into consideration 😊

Quick Reply

Latest