The Student Room Group

Could you get an B/A in chemistry and biology a level

By just memorising the mark schemes of past papers?

Many thanks
Because reading through the textbook and making notes does not seem to be working for me.
Reply 2
Original post by The-judge-16
By just memorising the mark schemes of past papers?

Many thanks

Yes, you could. But I would recommend u to understand the concept and the key points b4 u start memorising. Understanding is a lot better than memorising. You could try watching tutorial videos on YouTube or get some useful revision notes and worksheets from reliable sources.
Trust me, u could even go for an A* if u understand the theory.
Many thanks for all your advice! I did not know what a levels were when I was in year 11 neither lol 😂
Original post by Sam_R9
Yes, you could. But I would recommend u to understand the concept and the key points b4 u start memorising. Understanding is a lot better than memorising. You could try watching tutorial videos on YouTube or get some useful revision notes and worksheets from reliable sources.
Trust me, u could even go for an A* if u understand the theory.

You are right in many senses, now I come to think of it just ‘memorising’ will not allow me to fully understand and appreciate the content which is required to learn for both of these a levels. Thanks for your advice!
Biology, chemistry and sociology
However I’m still slightly unsure about doing chemistry, I may possibly do geography.
Reply 6
You are right in many senses, now I come to think of it just ‘memorising’ will not allow me to fully understand and appreciate the content which is required to learn for both of these a levels. Thanks for your advice!

You are welcome.
Good luck! :h:
Original post by Sam_R9
You are welcome.
Good luck! :h:

PRSOM
I do have a friend who is doing geography and one who is doing chemistry, my friend said that he is not finding geography too difficult at a level, however my other friend says that he’s really struggling with chemistry a level.
(edited 3 years ago)
That’s true, I’m just worried that chemistry will take up a lot of my time and there will not be much left for other subjects.
That’d be great, thanks.
🤣 I don’t blame them though.
That’d be great, thanks.

I do biology, chemistry and geography. I'm in Year12
Original post by Hoodlum123
I do biology, chemistry and geography. I'm in Year12

How are you finding all of them, which one would you say is the easiest and which one is the hardest?

Many thanks
How are you finding all of them, which one would you say is the easiest and which one is the hardest?

Many thanks

I'm finding them incredibly enjoyable just due to how well they complement each other but I would say due to the excessive amount of essay writing involved in Geography (20m, 9m) and a large number of statistics and case studies that must be memorised, I would definitely say that it is the hardest subject out of the 3. For me, the only aspect of Bio and Chem that makes them challenging is the mathematical aspects of the courses; applying equations when necessary and rearranging them for particular situations but that's always been a problem for me. Biology has to be easiest for me mainly due to the passion and interest I hold towards the subject.
Original post by Hoodlum123
I'm finding them incredibly enjoyable just due to how well they complement each other but I would say due to the excessive amount of essay writing involved in Geography (20m, 9m) and a large number of statistics and case studies that must be memorised, I would definitely say that it is the hardest subject out of the 3. For me, the only aspect of Bio and Chem that makes them challenging is the mathematical aspects of the courses; applying equations when necessary and rearranging them for particular situations but that's always been a problem for me. Biology has to be easiest for me mainly due to the passion and interest I hold towards the subject.

Ah ok, that is quite interesting actually. Thank you for your reply.
That’s true, I’m just worried that chemistry will take up a lot of my time and there will not be much left for other subjects.

I personally found that biology took more time than chemistry due to the large content biology has and the exams being harder in my opinion. I think chemistry doesn't have the best reputation as an A level and I was a bit worried going into it when I heard everyone saying it was really difficult but it wasn't as bad as people said it was going to be.
In terms of your question, memorising aspects of the mark schemes (particularly for questions that always come up) is something that could definitely help but like others have said, you can't just memorise - there is a lot of understanding that is necessary to reach those higher grades. Creating mind maps can help with understanding and condensing everything down into a helpful summary. Creating flashcards is a really good way to test that understanding as well as doing exam questions.

Quick Reply

Latest