The Student Room Group

Worried i'm going to be behind when i get back to school...

I'm trying to keep up with the school work I'm being given at school, I'm only in yr9 right now but I have already started GCSE physics, chemistry, biology and maths. I tend to be behind with bits of work and don't understand a lot of it... I'm worried that when I go back to school I'm going to have missed a lot and it will affect my overall GCSEs... I'd love some advice.
Hey! I'm really sorry you feel this way. Just wondering were you planning to sit GCSE science and maths in year 10 or in year 11? If you're going to sit them in year 11 with the rest of your GCSEs then I wouldn't stress- in fact, it's OK if there are aspects of the work that you don't understand, you will have plenty of time to understand it and since you have a head start it's likely that everything will 'click' and make sense much earlier!

If you're planning to take them in year 10 then I would email your teachers and express your concerns. There are plenty of free resources available online for GCSE science and maths as most students usually have trouble to wrap their heads around the content at first, so I would definitely advise to check out channels such as Freesciencelessons on youtube if you want the extra support!

I know it's easier said than done but try not to stress! Having a head start on your GCSEs is no bad thing. If you are planning on sitting science and maths in year 10 and you find in September that your time off school will affect your performance, maybe ask if you could be re-entered for the 2022 cycle? That way you would actually have an advantage over most students as you've already started the content.

Hope this helps a little :smile:
Original post by aconstanthamlet
Hey! I'm really sorry you feel this way. Just wondering were you planning to sit GCSE science and maths in year 10 or in year 11? If you're going to sit them in year 11 with the rest of your GCSEs then I wouldn't stress- in fact, it's OK if there are aspects of the work that you don't understand, you will have plenty of time to understand it and since you have a head start it's likely that everything will 'click' and make sense much earlier!

If you're planning to take them in year 10 then I would email your teachers and express your concerns. There are plenty of free resources available online for GCSE science and maths as most students usually have trouble to wrap their heads around the content at first, so I would definitely advise to check out channels such as Freesciencelessons on youtube if you want the extra support!

I know it's easier said than done but try not to stress! Having a head start on your GCSEs is no bad thing. If you are planning on sitting science and maths in year 10 and you find in September that your time off school will affect your performance, maybe ask if you could be re-entered for the 2022 cycle? That way you would actually have an advantage over most students as you've already started the content.

Hope this helps a little :smile:

thanks for your advice...
im not taking them until year 11 however due to the really big syllabus we all start working on them early.
Original post by anonymous0982
thanks for your advice...
im not taking them until year 11 however due to the really big syllabus we all start working on them early.

Ahhh I see. I would still say try not to stress, there will be plenty of other schools who won't start the GCSE syllabus until year 10, so don't worry if you're not understanding everything just yet. I would still say that taking a glance at the resources available on youtube wouldn't hurt, when it comes to maths and science the key is practice! I promise you things will start to make sense. Email your teachers expressing your concerns, they might be able to point you in the right direction for extra resources. Since you won't be sitting your GCSEs until year 11 I doubt that the time you have missed now will affect your final grades- remember, there will be so many other people in a similar situation to you.
Don't worry you have lots of time since you will take them in yr 11. You can use this time to catch up on the work and understand the ones you dont know. The main problem isnt where you are at with the content in my opinion but the fact you dont understand most of it.

Quick Reply

Latest