The Student Room Group

LLB Law

Hey guys, I would like to ask whether the University of Essex is a better destination to study LLB Law or Aberystwyth University?

*Assume there are only both Aber and Essex, which is better?
Original post by Jack Ang
Hey guys, I would like to ask whether the University of Essex is a better destination to study LLB Law or Aberystwyth University?

*Assume there are only both Aber and Essex, which is better?

Imo probably but not by much.. There will be plenty of law schools in clearing people would regard as better.
Hi @Jack Ang

I am a current 2nd year student at Aberystwyth and I am really enjoying it here!

Aberystwyth is a great place to be a student, there is a great feel to the town and there is always plenty to do and see. The University has a very friendly and welcoming feel and has even been named Welsh University of the Year for 2020 in The Sunday Times Good University Guide.

The Law Department at Aberystwyth is the oldest and most established in Wales and we are in the Top 10 in the UK for Student Experience for the subject of Law (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019). Within the degree there are many social and professional opportunities (e.g. visits to Law Fairs and Inns of Court in London) and options to do a work placement module in different areas of law. The course is taught by professionals who are active for large organisations e.g. GRETA, the Country Side Commission for Wales, the Youth Justice Board, the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights. The Bar Standards Board and the Solicitors Regulation Authority recognise the degree - providing a direct route into the legal profession.

Looking at the modules offered at each university is a really good way of comparing the courses to see which may interest you more. This is something I did when comparing universities when I applied and helped me make my decision. It may also be worth looking at how each course is assessed, to compare which style of assessment may suit the way you work best. Rankings are useful to look at, but it is also important to think about how the course is suited to your interests and future career goals and the skills you will get from the course. Also looking to see if the courses are accredited may also be useful in comparing courses.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Rebecca 😊
Reply 3
Original post by Aberystwyth University Student Ambassador
Hi @Jack Ang

I am a current 2nd year student at Aberystwyth and I am really enjoying it here!

Aberystwyth is a great place to be a student, there is a great feel to the town and there is always plenty to do and see. The University has a very friendly and welcoming feel and has even been named Welsh University of the Year for 2020 in The Sunday Times Good University Guide.

The Law Department at Aberystwyth is the oldest and most established in Wales and we are in the Top 10 in the UK for Student Experience for the subject of Law (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019). Within the degree there are many social and professional opportunities (e.g. visits to Law Fairs and Inns of Court in London) and options to do a work placement module in different areas of law. The course is taught by professionals who are active for large organisations e.g. GRETA, the Country Side Commission for Wales, the Youth Justice Board, the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights. The Bar Standards Board and the Solicitors Regulation Authority recognise the degree - providing a direct route into the legal profession.

Looking at the modules offered at each university is a really good way of comparing the courses to see which may interest you more. This is something I did when comparing universities when I applied and helped me make my decision. It may also be worth looking at how each course is assessed, to compare which style of assessment may suit the way you work best. Rankings are useful to look at, but it is also important to think about how the course is suited to your interests and future career goals and the skills you will get from the course. Also looking to see if the courses are accredited may also be useful in comparing courses.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Rebecca 😊

Thanks for such informative reply 🤞🏻

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending