The Student Room Group

A level advice

I’m starting year 12 in September, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to handle A levels, like workload, revision etc.

How does everyone organise their folders?

How to just in general have a good time at Sixth form?
I’m almost through year 12 and I’ve just been winging it the whole time, to be honest. I can tell you about my organisation though:

First, buy a metric ton of paper before you start or along the way, because you will have to scribble down about 10 trees worth of content.

ALWAYS write the date on your notes/handouts because you will forget when you wrote them and which topic they belong to haha.

I take a smaller ringbinder folder to college with me, which just has work in it from the last couple of weeks. That way I don’t break my back lugging 3 giant folders back and forth and I have (most of) the things I need to hand.

Everything else goes in to bigger lever arch folders which stay at home. Divide up different topics using post it notes or cardboard dividers. Often the simplest systems work- you don’t have to overthink it or colour code everything.

Apps are great for organisation- My Study Life gives you a notification just before a class is about to start, which is great if you have weird gaps in your timetable as you don’t constantly have to check when your next lesson is.

Also, you can track your revision progress using Adapt, which gives you a checklist of everything on your specification. It also suggests topics to revise on that day.

I would suggest trying exam questions as your first revision method, as then you can identify things you need to relearn or don’t understand. Little and often works best- just 15 minutes a day per subject is pretty effective! Basically, don’t panic! 😁
Original post by Grace Appleby
I’m starting year 12 in September, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to handle A levels, like workload, revision etc.

I'm not a model A-level student, it has to be said. But I've seen a lot of my friends get completely absorbed by their work and not want to relax go out or play games at all. They stress way too much. When the teachers should totally understand if a student wants to relax, I also found that, missing a deadline by a day or two (as long as you do create a quality piece of work) is not as critical as it was at GCSE. The only problem I find, especially during quarantine, your success really is in your own hands and completely slacking off will not end well at all. There is a fine line between doing no work and too much work, that's where you want to be.
Original post by Grace Appleby

Hey @Grace Appleby!

I know not all schools allow this but I started taking my laptop to use in sixth form and it honestly changed the game and I'd definitely recommend it if its an option! I took all essay-based subjects and found that being able to write all my notes on my laptop was perfect! I would write all of my notes on word and have separate folders for everything, subject, topic, subtopics etc, and then when it came to revising, If I found it necessary, I would print notes and bind them, highlight and annotate and use the printed notes to revise from. (flashcards mindmaps etc)

If not, I'd recommend having one folder you take in every day with anything necessary, for example notes from the last lesson (if it's needed) and where you can put all of your days work into, and then depending on how organised you want to be, you could empty this at the end of the day or week into separate folder subject-specific at home. I would have a folder and notebooks as well, as sometimes I needed to use paper for certain things and its always handy to have. :smile:

For revision advice, I would just suggest you find out what sort of learner you are and go from there, as different people learn in different ways. I focused on mind maps as I absolutely loved making them and found them the most effective tool for me. :smile:

Hope that helps a little :smile:

Courtney -- Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest