The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The limit is 100 and around 150 got accepted on.
So I assume they will give lower offers our this year.🤷
Reply 781
Original post by Anonymous 10101
The limit is 100 and around 150 got accepted on.
So I assume they will give lower offers our this year.🤷

they accepted 152 non-WP, but also 111 for WP, and 59 internationals, so it ends up being a lot more
Original post by blobbb
they accepted 152 non-WP, but also 111 for WP, and 59 internationals, so it ends up being a lot more

That is the number of offers made. The number accepted were 69 non-WP, 87 WP and 34 internationals. Of those, in a typical year, many would not get the grades needed, as probably <40% achieve the grades they are predicted. Last year that was a bit different, due to grade inflation from CAGs
Original post by GANFYD
That is the number of offers made. The number accepted were 69 non-WP, 87 WP and 34 internationals. Of those, in a typical year, many would not get the grades needed, as probably <40% achieve the grades they are predicted. Last year that was a bit different, due to grade inflation from CAGs

What do you think what's going to happen this year as almost everyone would be getting their predicted grades.
Original post by Abd123abd
What do you think what's going to happen this year as almost everyone would be getting their predicted grades.

I suspect most med schools will make fewer offers and possibly run a waiting list to offer people around results day if needed
Original post by GANFYD
I suspect most med schools will make fewer offers and possibly run a waiting list to offer people around results day if needed

Why are spaces in Medicine so restricted. One the one hand they want more doctors on the other they really be making it hard to even enter med school.
Okay offers were sent out last year from Aston in march, I am assuming we will start hearing soon.
Anyone know when their last interview date was?
Original post by icecream03
Okay offers were sent out last year from Aston in march, I am assuming we will start hearing soon.
Anyone know when their last interview date was?

interviews are still being sent out. So they may finish them towards the end of March, so offers seem like they may come through in April? that's just what I'm assuming
Original post by Rumi1380
interviews are still being sent out. So they may finish them towards the end of March, so offers seem like they may come through in April? that's just what I'm assuming

I think the last interviews are in mid March?
I'm not too sure.
Original post by Srtebti2344
Why are spaces in Medicine so restricted. One the one hand they want more doctors on the other they really be making it hard to even enter med school.

Forget about getting an offer from Russell group universities, even getting an offer from a new medical school is the hardest thing of your life. The entire process is so stressful, exhausting and so many obstacles to overcome ...... They need to review the entire addmission system.
It's because for medicine, it doesn't really make a difference which university you graduate from.
Everyone gets a foundation post unlike other courses like law, engineering and accountancy.
The reason they have so few places and such high requirements as well as interviews and admissions tests is so that not everyone can become a doctor. At the end of the day, a doctor will be responsible for a lot of lives so they need the best of the best and need candidates who can handle pressure and think quickly. That is why the process is so hard and long winded. But I do understand where you're coming from, especially in these times.

Original post by Abd123abd
Forget about getting an offer from Russell group universities, even getting an offer from a new medical school is the hardest thing of your life. The entire process is so stressful, exhausting and so many obstacles to overcome ...... They need to review the entire addmission system.

Russell Group =/= better, or more competitive.

At the end of the day, as long as your applied strategically then you may be statistically more likely to enter Oxbridge than UCLan. Our @nexttime of TSR got 3 rejections and one single offer from Oxford, if I recall correctly?

Original post by Anonymous 10101
It's because for medicine, it doesn't really make a difference which university you graduate from.
Everyone gets a foundation post unlike other courses like law, engineering and accountancy.

Exactly and also because they all use different selection criteria!

Outside of Medicine, no one will think Cardiff > Imperial yet Cardiff is the most GCSE-heavy med school, and Imperial merely requires GCSE Grade 6 in the core subjects. Same with UCAT / BMAT heavy unis. It's all different.

And also as said, it doesn't matter which med school you got your degree from - for UK specialty training purposes.

Supply and demand.

We could make 10,000 more spaces tomorrow, but if 20,000 more applicants come it'll remain as competitive.

Medicine has always been and will always remain a desirable course, job, career and vocation.

Post originally created by ecolier.
does the interview actually last 3 hours ? that's an insane time for an interview length
Original post by unknowns13876
does the interview actually last 3 hours ? that's an insane time for an interview length

It does, but that's because you have to wait for all 10 people to finish, and you have rest stations. The interview is very comfortable, I think you will enjoy it! They are so nice and friendly. Good luck, let us know how you do!
Original post by unknowns13876

Yeah it’s long imo. It made me so fatigued by the end and the waiting between stations just ate at my nerves. For me I found the formatting of the interview the worst of the 4 interviews I had.
How many ppl applied this year?
Original post by sara.m12
How many ppl applied this year?

Hey,
I doubt they'll release these statistics until the next academic cycle unfortunately, which is September 2021.
I would imagine there has been a good increase, as there would be many students who reapply from last year with autumn grades/ those who are resitting. They might also have some seats already filled for people from last year.....
All medical schools have had a rather large increase, University of Leicester stating they had a 20% increase in applications.
Hope this helps! :smile:
Hey there! I applied for medicine at Aston 2021 entry. But I still have not received any reply from the uni. Are interviews still held up? Are they even still sending interviews to students?? I'm guessing that the deadline for interviews is 20 March. Im so anxious, could anyone clarify to me what's going on!!!
Original post by Mohamad Al7
Hey there! I applied for medicine at Aston 2021 entry. But I still have not received any reply from the uni. Are interviews still held up? Are they even still sending interviews to students?? I'm guessing that the deadline for interviews is 20 March. Im so anxious, could anyone clarify to me what's going on!!!

So am I! What are your stats, if you don’t mind saying. I have 29/36, non WP

Latest

Trending

Trending