The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Oxford / Cambridge
UCL/ LSE / Imperial
Durham / St Andrews
Warwick / Bath / Edinburgh / KCL
Cardiff / QMUL / Loughborough / Lancaster / Birmingham

I will let you into a secret - within academia the RG universities plus the ancient universities (St Andrews, Aberdeen, Trinity College Dublin), and Bath are very well respected. Lancaster and Loughborough, as well as many of the other traditional universities (Hull, Brunel, Royal Holloway, Sussex etc.), are respected. Only when you get to the level of Uni of East London, Bolton, Huddersfield etc. do you see a noticeable decline in how well regarded they are in terms of overall reputation.
Give me your rankings

Here's mine

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. UCL
5. LSE
6. KCL
7. Edinburgh
8. Manchester
9. Bath
10. Warwick

1. University
2. rankings
3. are
4. overrated
5. and
6. don't
7. matter
8. in
9. most
10. cases
this is my opinion and peace
Oxford
Cambridge
Imperial
LSE
UCL
King’s College London
Edinburgh
Manchester
Warwick
Bristol
Original post by StarLinyx
I will let you into a secret - within academia the RG universities plus the ancient universities (St Andrews, Aberdeen, Trinity College Dublin), and Bath are very well respected. Lancaster and Loughborough, as well as many of the other traditional universities (Hull, Brunel, Royal Holloway, Sussex etc.), are respected. Only when you get to the level of Uni of East London, Bolton, Huddersfield etc. do you see a noticeable decline in how well regarded they are in terms of overall reputation.

Well yes? That's why I included them in the group of 'prestigious' universities that come to mind.
Original post by Lightning720
Prestige is a stupid measure, but I'm really confused about how Warwick (and maybe even Exeter) has made it onto some of these lists. I hadn't even heard of them until I was looking at league tables (as a starting point). I didn't realise people loved them so much until I came to TSR.

Same
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Oxford
Cambridge
Imperial
LSE
UCL
King’s College London
Edinburgh
Manchester
Warwick
Bristol

This is the same list as mine, although I would like to have included Glasgow, but no space!
Suprised Dundee, Aberdeen and Glasgow aren’t featuring more here despite being some of the oldest (most prestigious) UK Universities that rank highly in the UK, and even higher among the 21 Scottish Universities
Must be because they’re North of the Border so don’t matter

* Dundee being the ex-college of St Andrews (Queen’s College) and all 3 above mentioned unis/parent unis formed in the 15th Century
(edited 3 years ago)
1 City uni of lon
2 Brighton
3 Derby
4 De Montfort
5 Plymouth
6 Goldsmith
7 Sussex
8 Aberystwyth
9 Cranfiekd
10 lse
Oxford / Cambridge
UCL/ LSE / Imperial
Durham / St Andrews
Warwick / Bath / Edinburgh / KCL
Cardiff / QMUL / Loughborough / Lancaster / Birmingham

Any reasons why for your choices?
Original post by 3Engineer141592
Suprised Dundee, Aberdeen and Glasgow aren’t featuring more here despite being some of the oldest (most prestigious) UK Universities that rank highly in the UK, and even higher among the 21 Scottish Universities

* Dundee being the ex-college of St Andrews (Queen’s College) and all 3 above mentioned unis/parent unis formed in the 15th Century

Because age =/= prestige. Dundee and Aberdeen aren't designed to be prestigious today, they're targeted at students that do well but often not well enough to get into Edinburgh/similar entry standard unis.
(edited 3 years ago)

Edinburgh and St Andrews have been ignored by some people which I think are bigger issues with these rankings.

Just goes to show how stupid "prestige" is as a measure for universities.
Original post by Karisa96
I'm surprised Loughborough, is not on everybodys list, as a top 10, uni.

somewhat agree but surely a more credible option for a top list than KCL?
Reply 52
1) Footlights College, Oxbridge
2) Scumbag College

Beyond that, nobody cares.
Original post by artful_lounger
Shocking that so many people put Exeter on their "rankings"...being a bastion of white privilege doesn't make it prestigious lol.

:rolleyes:
Original post by Lightning720
Any reasons why for your choices?

No credible reason, just opinion based on things I've heard. These are MY rankings (as OP asked), I just grouped universities together as I view them personally. Apologies if it offended anyone, not my intention! :smile:
In terms of reputation, Oxford cannot be above Cambridge, LSE can be above UCL but I still doubt it, Warwick cannot beat KCL as KCL is a famous brand and I will agree with Durham being above Bath. Where did Nottingham come from when Bath has a better reputation when it comes to employability? Exeter can't come into the list sorry.

That is my opinion.

Why are you posting this pointless thread anonymously? Rankings are irrelevant for many subjects.
In terms of reputation, Oxford cannot be above Cambridge, LSE can be above UCL but I still doubt it, Warwick cannot beat KCL as KCL is a famous brand and I will agree with Durham being above Bath. Where did Nottingham come from when Bath has a better reputation when it comes to employability? Exeter can't come into the list sorry.

That is my opinion.

Does Bath really have a better reputation for employability, i doubt that. I don't think there is a firm in the UK that would definitely say we prefer Bath over Nottingham graduates to the point that it would matter. That's silly.

Basically if your in the top 30 or so heavily targeted universities for most job's you'll apply for it's fine if your profile is good.

Maybe in a select few roles like MBB or investment banking the golden triangle uni's and oxbridge would be better... But neither Nottingham or Bath standout all that favourably one on one in that department.
Original post by ajj2000
somewhat agree but surely a more credible option for a top list than KCL?

I concur there.

Glasgow is without doubt a top 10-12 university for prestige, but you can only fit so many universities in a top 10 list, and their academic performance in global rankings, as well as how they are perceived in academia, accounts for a lot beyond just being old universities.
I’m assuming this^ is a joke. I experienced a fantastic education at Aberdeen, with quality and extensive teaching. Are you sure you’re not thinking of Aberdeen RGU?!

Definitely University of Aberdeen.
Different courses and departments perhaps?

Latest

Trending

Trending