3. Imperial
4. UCL
5. LSE
6. KCL
7. Edinburgh
8. Manchester
9. Bath
10. Warwick

I think Oxford is above Cambridge, LSE is above UCL, Warwick above KCL,Durham instead of Bath at number 7, Nottingham at number 8, Exeter at 9
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I think Oxford is above Cambridge, LSE is above UCL, Warwick above KCL,Durham instead of Bath at number 7, Nottingham at number 8, Exeter at 9

In terms of reputation, Oxford cannot be above Cambridge, LSE can be above UCL but I still doubt it, Warwick cannot beat KCL as KCL is a famous brand and I will agree with Durham being above Bath. Where did Nottingham come from when Bath has a better reputation when it comes to employability? Exeter can't come into the list sorry.

That is my opinion.
Reply 4
Well, this is a weird popularity contest.
At least the various ranking systems have some kind of criteria and evidence.
University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge usually secure the foremost ranks, regularly followed by Imperial College, UCL, the University of Edinburgh, and the London School of Economics.
prestige is a load of sh*t, it is basically a load of snobs that think that only certain unis exist and it is mainly ones that have been around a long time...
Reply 7
This whole prestige thing is b0llocks tbh.

But I'll play the game:

1. Cambridge;
2. Oxford;
3. Imperial
4. LSE
5. Kings
6. UCL
7. Durham
8. Exeter
9. York
10. Nottingham

Of course this is all arbitrary and doesn't mean a thing because I've litro put London School of Economics and Political Sciences over Kings College London (has a med school). (and here is the problem)
1. Cambridge;
2. Oxford;
3. Imperial
4. LSE
6. Durham
7. Exeter
8. Warwick
9. UCL
9. St Andrews
10. Bath
Amazing thread keep going. I can direct all the prestige hungry students here.
Based on prestige and past rankings:

1. Cambridge;
2. Oxford;
3. Imperial
4. LSE
5. Exeter
6. Durham
7. Warwick
8. UCL
9. St Andrews
10. KCL
Shocking that so many people put Exeter on their "rankings"...being a bastion of white privilege doesn't make it prestigious lol.

In any case, the concept is really a bit pointless...Imperial and LSE are prestigious for very different areas of academia at the undergrad level, so comparing them is kind of meaningless. Likewise there are other niche institutions which are "prestigious" in their particular area(s) but not considered so generally, e.g. the Courtauld for history of art, SOAS for most Asian and African languages (many of which are offered nowhere else in the UK), CSM for fashion (esp womenswear). Birmingham City University is probably not considered generally prestigious generally but is the only university offering a degree in horology and that programme is partnered with Louis Vuitton.
Prestige is a stupid measure, but I'm really confused about how Warwick (and maybe even Exeter) has made it onto some of these lists. I hadn't even heard of them until I was looking at league tables (as a starting point). I didn't realise people loved them so much until I came to TSR.
Reply 13
What about Birmingham?
Why no one has mentioned Bristol?
In my opinion:
1. Cambridge = Oxford
3. Imperial
4. LSE
5. Edinburgh = KCL
7. UCL
8. Manchester
9. Warwick
10. Bristol = Durham
=======
top20:
12.Glasgow = Southampton
14.York = Lancaster
16.Leeds
17.St. Andrews
18.Newcastle
19.Bath
20.Sheffield
(edited 3 years ago)
1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. LSE
5. St Andrews
6. Exeter
7. Durham
8. UCL
9. Loughborough
10. KCL
Reply 16
Original post by Lightning720
Prestige is a stupid measure, but I'm really confused about how Warwick (and maybe even Exeter) has made it onto some of these lists. I hadn't even heard of them until I was looking at league tables (as a starting point). I didn't realise people loved them so much until I came to TSR.

Prestige is calculated from the average probability that someone goes "ooh nice" when you tell them where you study(ed).
Usually this is somewhere around 0.
Rankings change all the time, but I feel these have been the top contenders most of the time...

1. Cambridge = Oxford
2. Imperial
3. LSE
4. Exeter
5. Durham
6. UCL
7. St Andrews
8. Loughborough
9. Bath
10. KCL
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm surprised Loughborough, is not on everybodys list, as a top 10, uni.
Ah back to the egotistical side of TSR

Latest

Trending

Trending