The Student Room Group

What do I need to pass the theory test?

I’ve tried researching it but found an overwhelming amount of resources and I don’t know where to start. What are the best resources to use to revise for the theory test and how long should I spend preparing?
(edited 3 years ago)
Are the following enough?

The Official Highway Code book
The Official DVSA Guide to Driving - the essential skills book
Know Your Traffic Signs book
Driving theory test 4 in 1 kit app
(edited 3 years ago)
I personally used an app, forgot the exact name of it, but many are very similarly. Find an app which has all the multiple choice questions on it and just spend time going through them until you know them all and get them all right. Some apps also have some hazard perception practice which is important to do.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
You really don't need a lot of resources, half the questions are common sense, the other half you can figure out after having seen basically all the same **** before in the DVSA app. Just tick the option which says "carefully, slowly" or whatever, and don't beep your horn to show annoyance
Reply 4
The thing that catches a lot of people out is the hazard perception test because if you spot the hazard too quickly you get NO points! The advised strategy is to click when you see the hazard, then click again shortly after in case you were too early. The software knows if you click too many times, but it is fine to do a few clicks.

The official DVLA apps are the best prep.
Reply 5
^^ second this. You can get the Official DVSA Test Kit App for 4.99. Literally all the information you'll need to pass the theory test is accessible from there, including all the theory to read through, the highway code for road signs, practice multiple choice (when I did my actual theory test, there was literally only one multiple choice question that I hadn't seen on the app) and practice hazard perception.
Reply 6
I used the AA Theory Test book and was absolutely fine. You don’t need to spend a fortune on resources.
Original post by jaz_x001
I personally used an app, forgot the exact name of it, but many are very similarly. Find an app which has all the multiple choice questions on it and just spend time going through them until you know them all and get them all right. Some apps also have some hazard perception practice which is important to do.

Original post by have
You really don't need a lot of resources, half the questions are common sense, the other half you can figure out after having seen basically all the same **** before in the DVSA app. Just tick the option which says "carefully, slowly" or whatever, and don't beep your horn to show annoyance

Original post by TCL
The thing that catches a lot of people out is the hazard perception test because if you spot the hazard too quickly you get NO points! The advised strategy is to click when you see the hazard, then click again shortly after in case you were too early. The software knows if you click too many times, but it is fine to do a few clicks.

The official DVLA apps are the best prep.

Original post by nzy
^^ second this. You can get the Official DVSA Test Kit App for 4.99. Literally all the information you'll need to pass the theory test is accessible from there, including all the theory to read through, the highway code for road signs, practice multiple choice (when I did my actual theory test, there was literally only one multiple choice question that I hadn't seen on the app) and practice hazard perception.

Original post by Bexjw
I used the AA Theory Test book and was absolutely fine. You don’t need to spend a fortune on resources.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it 🙏🏽
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Bexjw

Is £4.99 for the official app a fortune?!
Reply 9
Original post by TCL

I never said it was? I didn’t even pass comment on the app.

My comment was towards having multiple books and/or apps. You can mostly get by with only one or two resources without having to spend lots of money on lots of things.
I downloaded an app on the bus on the way to the test centre (hadn’t done anything else and still passed :biggrin:), it’s mostly common sense and basic knowledge of signs n stuff.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TCL

The entire cost of learning to drive is a fortune. From booking your theory test fees to paying for your practical test and then car to borrow for the day. It all nearly adds up to £2,000-£3,000 which is fortune to some.
Reply 12
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
The entire cost of learning to drive is a fortune. From booking your theory test fees to paying for your practical test and then car to borrow for the day. It all nearly adds up to £2,000-£3,000 which is fortune to some.

Yes, the resources and test fee for theory cost less than 1 driving lesson. It is worth it though.
Sorry to bump this thread, I have one more question: Would it be useful to read through and memorise all of the sections in the Highway Code or should I just skip to the parts that directly talk about the driver?
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending