The Student Room Group

How to know you have a good driving instructor?

Hi everyone!
I started my driving lessons recently. So far had 3 hours. We have only been driving on a very quite residential street going in loops.

My instructor seems ok but he never mentions what happens at the exam or what any of the road markings mean. Is this normal?
He only says go left, go right, turn and I am not getting any feedback from him on how to be driving on the road.

Can you tell me how your lessons usually go? What do instructors tell you? Do they help you with navigating signs/road markings?

I would have tried a new instructor but it is impossible to find one so I will only consider changing if he actually is really bad which Im not sure...
Reply 1
It's normal your driving instructor is assessing your driving skill level. If you want to know what the signage is just ask him. He tell you what they mean. The signage is in theory book.

The looping around is standard you will be doing it over and over with any other instructor. They will give you feedback on if it goes well or doesn't but I think he was assessing you.

He wouldn't put you on a busy road right away as you might panic and become stressed.

How my lessons went 🤔 I passed theory one week before doing driving lessons, passed driving in 6 weeks.

Assessed my driving skills, some manoeuvres that I knew they would test on are obsolete as they are deemed slow to test.

Lessons would be for me brushing up on driving skills, learning manoeuvres that I would need or haven't done in a while.
Reply 2
Original post by Faultybot
It's normal your driving instructor is assessing your driving skill level. If you want to know what the signage is just ask him. He tell you what they mean. The signage is in theory book.

The looping around is standard you will be doing it over and over with any other instructor. They will give you feedback on if it goes well or doesn't but I think he was assessing you.

He wouldn't put you on a busy road right away as you might panic and become stressed.

How my lessons went 🤔 I passed theory one week before doing driving lessons, passed driving in 6 weeks.

Assessed my driving skills, some manoeuvres that I knew they would test on are obsolete as they are deemed slow to test.

Lessons would be for me brushing up on driving skills, learning manoeuvres that I would need or haven't done in a while.

Thank for your answer! You definitely put me at ease 🙂 I think I might be being a bit too harsh with my instructor 🙂
Reply 3
Original post by mary_wolf
Thank for your answer! You definitely put me at ease 🙂 I think I might be being a bit too harsh with my instructor 🙂

The theory is straightforward it just remembering it. Depending on what questions you get asked.

What are you trying to learn in manual or automatic?
Original post by mary_wolf
Hi everyone!
I started my driving lessons recently. So far had 3 hours. We have only been driving on a very quite residential street going in loops.

My instructor seems ok but he never mentions what happens at the exam or what any of the road markings mean. Is this normal?
He only says go left, go right, turn and I am not getting any feedback from him on how to be driving on the road.

Can you tell me how your lessons usually go? What do instructors tell you? Do they help you with navigating signs/road markings?

I would have tried a new instructor but it is impossible to find one so I will only consider changing if he actually is really bad which Im not sure...

My first three hours were over two lessons and yeah basically did quiet roads, you'll learn road markings when you do your driving theory test. Normally my instructor chats to me whilst also letting me know whats going on around the road, (I've had six lessons so far). Honestly I wouldn't worry unless you're finding you're not progressing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending