The Student Room Group

What does it mean to be 'working class'?

I guess I am 'working class', seeing as my parents are a mechanic and a receptionist. But I have never understood how the class system works...why do I have to be 'working class' just because my parents are?

And what does 'working class' mean exactly? I define it by the kind of occupation you have, but like I said, I don't really understand it at all...

If you have a degree, are you still working class? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Land.
Reply 2
Withoutadoubt
Land.

Ohhh it's good to have land.
I don't know if I'd put you in Working Class, tbh. I always thought receptionist was more lower-middle. But I could be wrong.

You are until you have your own profession and thus can assign yourself. In a class mobile system of course.
Well, the most common (albeit Marxist) definition is someone who's dependant on their labour for income, without which they would be fecked.
Reply 5
The class system is messed up
My dads an electrican and is earning more than some people in "middle class" jobs, yet is considered as working class.
Reply 6
working class are generally people who are on wages instead of salaries. That is what I heard on the radio once anyway.
Reply 7
Yeah I always associated it with having a non professional trade, like being the assistant manager of a branch of Thomsons

:yep:
Reply 8
Nowadays? Nothing...
Reply 9
It doesn't really mean anything. no-one can force you to be in a class. I don't subscribe to any class, I'm just a human being. I'm broke, though my parents are not, but I've lived in London for 18 years just like any of the kids from the council estate round the corner. We're not in a different class and we breathe the same air. I think this class stuff is BS, and its mostly about appearance, accent and secondary education.
To think that sweet and sour chicken, Zante or pineapple juice is exotic.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I guess I am 'working class', seeing as my parents are a mechanic and a receptionist. But I have never understood how the class system works...why do I have to be 'working class' just because my parents are?

And what does 'working class' mean exactly? I define it by the kind of occupation you have, but like I said, I don't really understand it at all...

If you have a degree, are you still working class? :confused:

some of the replies on here....

the feudal system is DEAD people!! and good riddance as well

why do you care how you are labelled?

more importantly, you sound embarassed to be working class?

i work, my parents work, i would thereofore state that i am proudly from the working classes

i couldn't care less whether or not the fact that i am starting a degree this september affects my social status???

you shouldn't be so worried about where you stand in society. personally, the lower people deem me on the social strata, the better, because when i make it, the more surpised they'll be

results day for me was so special. this wasn't becuase i achieved 3 As, this is because i achieved 3 As after being told i'd hardly be able to get 3 Bs.

let people say you are less of a person than they. it should spur you on, to prove just how much more of a person than them you are.

and not because of how much land daddy owns, or because how many ponies daddy has bought you, but because of how much you have achieved.
If you have to ask, you're working class.

In reality it's more about what kind of job you do, though the classes are very blurred nowadays.
Depends on who you ask. My grandfather on one side of the family earnt more than the one on the other; yet the poorer was upper middle class (came from an old family and had studied at oxford) whereas my other grandfather was rock solid working class and came from a family of farmers in devon. Although my richer grandfather was an engineer he was still working class - it just isn't about money!
ifyouwannaberalphslover
some of the replies on here....

the fugal system is DEAD people!! and good riddance as well

why do you care how you are labelled?

more importantly, you sound embarassed to be working class?

i work, my parents work, i would thereofore state that i am proudly from the working classes

i couldn't care less whether or not the fact that i am starting a degree this september affects my social status???

you shouldn't be so worried about where you stand in society. personally, the lower people deem me on the social strata, the better, because when i make it, the more surpised they'll be

results day for me was so special. this wasn't becuase i achieved 3 As, this is because i achieved 3 As after being told i'd hardly be able to get 3 Bs.

let people say you are less of a person than they. it should spur you on, to prove just how much more of a person than them you are.

and not because of how much land daddy owns, or because how many ponies daddy has bought you, but because of how much you have achieved.

If I had any rep left i'd rep that - just give me an hour and i'll try to remember! Btw - I do believe the class system exists and I'm quite proud of my background; but i'll happily admit that someone with my qualifications who grew up in the worse parts of glasgow is more intelligent than me!
Reply 15
History Lost in Physics
Depends on who you ask. My grandfather on one side of the family earnt more than the one on the other; yet the poorer was upper middle class (came from an old family and had studied at oxford) whereas my other grandfather was rock solid working class and came from a family of farmers in devon. Although my richer grandfather was an engineer he was still working class - it just isn't about money!

I don't think money plays a part. Most premiership footballers would be working class wouldn't they?
History Lost in Physics
If I had any rep left i'd rep that - just give me an hour and i'll try to remember! Btw - I do believe the class system exists and I'm quite proud of my background; but i'll happily admit that someone with my qualifications who grew up in the worse parts of glasgow is more intelligent than me!

awwww geeeee thanks mister!!!

i haven't had positive rep in a long time...
Traditionally, Working class refers to manual labourers, Middle class refers to clerical or skilled non manual workers and upper class refers to aristocracy. However, these definitions aren't so true anymore (someone who works in an office can still be working class)

There was a sociologist called Max Weber in the late 19th century, whose theory of class stratification I personally agree the most with. Weberian stratification posits that there are three spheres of influence that constitute an individuals social class or status, these are your economic, political and status situations.

Each of these three spheres of power are influenced by your occupation.
You income determines your wealth, your consumption styles and lifestyle, this in turn influences your values (for example how you respect education or the police) and political inclinations, this in turn influences your status within society, the respect you have from others, also your status in a job might command more respect, i.e a doctor or teacher is a respectable occupation, despite disproportionately low pay.

Of course your occupation is not the only factor defining class, for example, clergymen have high status, but a relatively low income. In the 21st century we are seeing more and more freedom of individual expression, and status can be derived from that image.

Your class is your parents class, because their income directly affects the values of the family, the lifestyle of the family and the power of the family.

Wow I've really explained this in a very clumsy way.
(AQA Sociology FTW!)
Reply 18
nnnnl
It doesn't really mean anything. no-one can force you to be in a class. I don't subscribe to any class, I'm just a human being.

Well, in effect, they can. Class tends to be a label applied externally; other people will still take your class as what it is, regardless of what you think or say on the matter.
nnnnl
I don't think money plays a part. Most premiership footballers would be working class wouldn't they?

Definitely - except a few from the low countries and northern europe who appear to be slightly more classy!

Money I believe gets people's families into the position to become middle class (or it did so years ago), but being middle class to me is all about culture and values; and even that divides the middle classes up into sections. To be honest I try to judge people on who they are, and I try not to get a fixed impression of someone.

Latest

Trending

Trending