The Student Room Group

object oriented hell

im in year 12 and im probably just overreacting but jesus christ i can not wrap my head around object oriented programming in the slightest and im worried that i wont be able to do my NEA nearly as good as i would want to because of it. the lessons have been moving along too fast and i barely understand how any of it works yet it seems all of my classmates get it so well.
what the hell do i do to be able to understand oop and if i did do my NEA in procedural would i get marked down?
Reply 1
Original post by xndr_
im in year 12 and im probably just overreacting but jesus christ i can not wrap my head around object oriented programming in the slightest and im worried that i wont be able to do my NEA nearly as good as i would want to because of it. the lessons have been moving along too fast and i barely understand how any of it works yet it seems all of my classmates get it so well.
what the hell do i do to be able to understand oop and if i did do my NEA in procedural would i get marked down?
I was the same while learning program haha, and I think the only thing you can do is just watch different videos to try and wrap your head around it, and then just practice in proper programming.
I think practice is the most important bit, because OOP is one of those things that doesn't really have any purpose apart from in Developer Experience while coding.

I'd say as a quick-start guide, begin just considering classes, e.g. how to call methods from them, how to create multiple instances of a class. Then consider things like self (which have different terms dependent on the language), construction/init methods, and finally inheritance. Not sure how much you need to know for the NEA, but it's best just to practice a tiny bit at a time, as OOP is massive. Hope this helps! Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
The best thing for understanding oop is just to do it, you'll get that lightbulb moment eventually. Basically, you just want to think in terms of entities and what you are doing to them. E.g you could have an Employee class. What features does an employee have? things like an hourly pay and weekly hours. What things need to happen? They have to be paid - so a method in this class could be calculate_pay(), which is weekly hours * hourly pay. And so on! For me, just doing it (even if at first you don't understand what you're doing and you're just copying something) really helped.
Original post by xndr_

I’m in the same boat I don’t really understand it at all and it seems like everyone else does, what has helped me a little bit is pasting OOP into chatgpt and asking them to explain line by line what’s happening, and really digging into what each part actually means

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending