The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ifyouwannaberalphslover
some of the replies on here....

the fugal system is DEAD people!! and good riddance as well

why do you care how you are labelled?

more importantly, you sound embarassed to be working class?

i work, my parents work, i would thereofore state that i am proudly from the working classes

i couldn't care less whether or not the fact that i am starting a degree this september affects my social status???

you shouldn't be so worried about where you stand in society. personally, the lower people deem me on the social strata, the better, because when i make it, the more surpised they'll be

results day for me was so special. this wasn't becuase i achieved 3 As, this is because i achieved 3 As after being told i'd hardly be able to get 3 Bs.

let people say you are less of a person than they. it should spur you on, to prove just how much more of a person than them you are.

and not because of how much land daddy owns, or because how many ponies daddy has bought you, but because of how much you have achieved.

Good for you. I do, however, wonder what on Earth the "fugal" system is. :wink:

But, seriously, fair enough. The class system perhaps shouldn't exist but people will always want to feel superior to others and will thus put others into lower classes. IMHO.
I still don't believe in this 'working class' rubbish. For a start, its definition has evolved so much that it has become practically meaningless. I.e: Middle class used to mean that you owned your own house - Thatcher allowed many people to move up onto this rung of the social ladder, so using this definition hardly anyone is truly 'working class' nowadays. Besides, my family is firmly middle class but they still work hard at their jobs. The tag of 'working class' is just something that those in lower income jobs use for themselves to feel hard done by.
ifyouwannaberalphslover
awwww geeeee thanks mister!!!

i haven't had positive rep in a long time...

No worries - if you can find a way to supply me with biscuits without me having to leave my house then i'll give you more :wink:
nnnnl
I don't think money plays a part. Most premiership footballers would be working class wouldn't they?

I think you would say that they came from working class backgrounds. It's a combination of economic and social factors I'd say(like how much polo you play :tongue:).
The way a person talks is a consideration.
Mrgd291190

But, seriously, fair enough. The class system perhaps shouldn't exist but people will always want to feel superior to others and will thus put others into lower classes. IMHO.

Not at all - I regard many members of hte aristocracy and royal family as from a higher social class than myself, but I don't think of them as superior. Much as while I think of most of my friends as having come from a 'lower rung' on the social ladder than I have, I don't think i'm better than them. It's just about background to be honest; people like to have an identity (you only have to look up figures on sales of ancestry tracing materials to see this).
Mrgd291190

hahahahhaha, my bad ***feudal!
Reply 27
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I guess I am 'working class', seeing as my parents are a mechanic and a receptionist. But I have never understood how the class system works...why do I have to be 'working class' just because my parents are?

And what does 'working class' mean exactly? I define it by the kind of occupation you have, but like I said, I don't really understand it at all...

If you have a degree, are you still working class? :confused:

I *think* a degree puts you into the middle class. Look at wikipedia for their explanation of the British class system,it's reliable. Basically blue collar, manual jobs not requiring education as such is the working class definition. White collar,professional jobs and higher education equals middle class, and nobility titles etc and land ownership is higher class, as a rule of thumb.
Reply 28
History Lost in Physics
Definitely - except a few from the low countries and northern europe who appear to be slightly more classy!

Money I believe gets people's families into the position to become middle class (or it did so years ago), but being middle class to me is all about culture and values; and even that divides the middle classes up into sections. To be honest I try to judge people on who they are, and I try not to get a fixed impression of someone.

true. their kids for example would certainly not be working class. they'd be sent off to schools with other rich kids and take it from their, and within a generation the working class part of the family will vanish.
kingharry666
Do you mean accent, or propensity to swearing & colloquialisms and general grammatical performance, or vocabulary?

Or a combinatin of some or all the above?
History Lost in Physics
Not at all - I regard many members of hte aristocracy and royal family as from a higher social class than myself, but I don't think of them as superior. Much as while I think of most of my friends as having come from a 'lower rung' on the social ladder than I have, I don't think i'm better than them. It's just about background to be honest; people like to have an identity (you only have to look up figures on sales of ancestry tracing materials to see this).

On your first point, the Royal Family would be the one's labelling you as lower, not vice verse and I'm fairly sure they like to feel superior.

I'm assuming you don't like to feel subservient, thus you wouldn't label anyone as superior.

You've expressed disdain for the class system so you wouldn't label anyone as inferior to you. You seem quite fair on this so I can't imagine you ranking people in classes.

I only meant what I said was correct for people who strongly believed in that system. No more :smile:
History Lost in Physics
No worries - if you can find a way to supply me with biscuits without me having to leave my house then i'll give you more :wink:

tesco direct? (we here at TSR obviously do not endorse particular brands, and any other supermarket delivery service would be just as good as the one mentioned) :biggrin:
ifyouwannaberalphslover
hahahahhaha, my bad ***feudal!

Lol, no worries, I think we guessed :smile:

My mind did wonder what a "Frugal system" was though. I was wondering why you thought people were spending more :rofl:
Mrgd291190
I was wondering why you thought people were spending more :rofl:
They are.
Reply 34
kingharry666

Middle class folk seem immune from local accents. i.e. Andrew Marr is from Glasgow but you wouldn't have thought it.
Withoutadoubt
Do you mean accent, or propensity to swearing & colloquialisms and general grammatical performance, or vocabulary?

Or a combinatin of some or all the above?

All of the above would play a part.
Reply 36
Officer Dibble
I think you would say that they came from working class backgrounds. It's a combination of economic and social factors I'd say(like how much polo you play :tongue:).

I would have thought more to do with social though. I suppose there aren't many middle class or upper class people being poor, but there will be quite a few of working class being rich. Lotto winners, fraudsters, people from hull who own carpet warehouses and drive bright red ferraris, the new irish rich lol (maybe im wrong about the irish, please don't bite my head off!)
Mrgd291190
Lol, no worries, I think we guessed :smile:

My mind did wonder what a "Frugal system" was though. I was wondering why you thought people were spending more :rofl:

hahahah i'm not going to lie and say that it was a typo...

i seriously thought the word was frugal :biggrin:

i read it (obviously misread would be a more appropriate word) in history in year 9, and have never come across the word since :smile:

deary me..
ssk2
Nowadays? Nothing...

I'm scared by the amount of people that think that.
Withoutadoubt
They are.

I didn't think so, not with this financial situation. My family ain't. Or do you mean, in general over the years?

Anyhoo, the reason I wondered why was that I wondered what it's relevance was to this thread,

Latest

Trending

Trending