The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bavarian Motor Works
Lower middle class are wage workers....

low class = benefit claims etc etc.

low middle - cleaners, cashiers etc etc
upper middle - generally on salaries .

I knew lindsey wasn't joking when she said that soup made her feel like puff tha magic dragon - I think there may have been something in it (and i am loving this dual meaning).

Quality - carry on with the wind aspercions (please someone tell me how to spell this) and I shall watch with awe and growing respect :smile:
Reply 81
lucho22
I was just making it relevant and showing the comment to be both patronising and ridiculous.. Marxism is generally just as bad as religion in what it creates in the fundamentalist follower or impressionable disciple. It's an interesting academic concept, but in the wrong hands is a dangerous ideology - sometimes even as dangerous as religion - so I wouldn't want you to get the wrong idea about that comment!! :wink:

Good point. I think when you tear Marxism back to the point that Marx was making on an academic level it is a very valuable piece of work and one that founded a branch of Sociological theory and thought.

When used in its purest form it is harmless and could lead to a truly communist state following a revolution if you believe what Marx stated. Sadly though as people have observed this is not the case and it is wrongly used as a tool for communist dictatorships and wrongly accused as a justification for such states.
Hopefull
Good point. I think when you tear Marxism back to the point that Marx was making on an academic level it is a very valuable piece of work and one that founded a branch of Sociological theory and thought.

When used in its purest form it is harmless and could lead to a truly communist state following a revolution if you believe what Marx stated. Sadly though as people have observed this is not the case and it is wrongly used as a tool for communist dictatorships and wrongly accused as a justification for such states.

He should have read plato more carefully - if he had he would have realised that the flaw in all 'utopian' ideals is that they fail to cater for humanities two worst attributes; greed and imagination.
Reply 83
History Lost in Physics
He should have read plato more carefully - if he had he would have realised that the flaw in all 'utopian' ideals is that they fail to cater for humanities two worst attributes; greed and imagination.

Quite possibly but was Plato not referring to humans as individuals and Marx society?

I don't think it matters which Sociological society model people favour or believe is closest to reality as it can never account for individual behavior. I mean Marxism aside if you look at the Functionalist model and the issues surrounding meritocracy it only works as far as peoples desire and life chances therefore the whole model is as flawed as those observed in Marxist theory.

The best thing I ever heard said about communism was from a bloke in a pub. He said "Communism is great until your neighbour tries to nick your T.V. because he wants two" :smile:
Hopefull
Quite possibly but was Plato not referring to humans as individuals and Marx society?

I don't think it matters which Sociological society model people favour or believe is closest to reality as it can never account for individual behavior. I mean Marxism aside if you look at the Functionalist model and the issues surrounding meritocracy it only works as far as peoples desire and life chances therefore the whole model is as flawed as those observed in Marxist theory.

The best thing I ever heard said about communism was from a bloke in a pub. He said "Communism is great until your neighbour tries to nick your T.V. because he wants two" :smile:

You (and the man in the pub) are quite correct and I agree. However I think it is foolish to try and put a divide in between psychology and sociology - humans are social creatures and are defined in most ways by the way they interact with other humans. As such I believe that plato's (and the man in the pub's) point undermines any socially utopian ideology.

Damned humans :wink:
A lot of it is cultural aswell as work and education. The class system still exists and you can change class.

The theory is if you are working class but smart you will eventually move into the middle class through education and earnings.
Reply 86
EndangeredSpecies
A lot of it is cultural aswell as work and education. The class system still exists and you can change class.

The theory is if you are working class but smart you will eventually move into the middle class through education and earnings.

Indeed that is the "theory" the vast majority of studies though show that whilst you can travel through class schemas you can only get so far. They liken the process to a "glass ceiling" :wink:
History Lost in Physics
The sad thing is that all the interesting ones died... Now only the boring useless ones (such as myself) are left. Actually I don't know that - I am in such poor contact with my dad that I have no idea which members of my welsh family are still alive and don't really care enough to get in contact!

To be fair though if any of your family are from anywhere near Bridgend of Pontypridd (or anywhere in the valleys to be honest) we're probably fairly closely related (bless our nations breeding habits :wink:)!

Lol, sure you're interesting enough :wink:
I've got family all over the world but not in contact with any of them. Know what you mean.

Tragically, my family's London Welsh but we reckon it was originally from Caernarfon. Chances of us being family are slim but I don't mind! :five:
To be honest, I'm not sure, but I just remember my friend saying her family was working class because they worked. :rolleyes:
She seemed very sure of this despite the fact her dad earns 50 grand a year. ¬_¬
If you have a degree, I would say that you are automatically middle class then. (unless it was one of those silly ones)
Mrgd291190
Lol, sure you're interesting enough :wink:
I've got family all over the world but not in contact with any of them. Know what you mean.

Tragically, my family's London Welsh but we reckon it was originally from Caernarfon. Chances of us being family are slim but I don't mind! :five:

Ah well... I'd rather be from North Wales; more interesting countryside.
History Lost in Physics
Ah well... I'd rather be from North Wales; more interesting countryside.

Nice one :wink:
I was up at Cwm Idwal and Betws-y-Coed/Swallow Falls on Sunday and I went to Loggerheads, around Moel Famau today. Absolutely stunning.
What's the south like anyway? I only really visit Cardiff :o:
Mrgd291190
Nice one :wink:
I was up at Cwm Idwal and Betws-y-Coed/Swallow Falls on Sunday and I went to Loggerheads, around Moel Famau today. Absolutely stunning.
What's the south like anyway? I only really visit Cardiff :o:

Pembroke is not really very wales like (except it rains ALL the time) - it's more like dorset or devon (i've been cliff walking there all weekend - gorgeous other than the rain). The Gower is also very pretty and the Beacons & Black Mountains are good for newcomers to hiking. The Valleys and eastern part of south wales I don't particularly like; the buildings are cheap and badly build, and because of the lack of jobs it's a very poor and run down area of the country. Would be beautiful if there were no people... :s-smilie:

Personally not too keen on cardiff, but that's only because it's got no hills! It's far nicer than any other town in the region - especially Newport!
Foreign holidays. How many people do you know who call themselves working class and have been on a holiday abroad?

Clearly it doesn't mean what it used to.
means you're scum
History Lost in Physics
Pembroke is not really very wales like (except it rains ALL the time) - it's more like dorset or devon (i've been cliff walking there all weekend - gorgeous other than the rain). The Gower is also very pretty and the Beacons & Black Mountains are good for newcomers to hiking. The Valleys and eastern part of south wales I don't particularly like; the buildings are cheap and badly build, and because of the lack of jobs it's a very poor and run down area of the country. Would be beautiful if there were no people... :s-smilie:

Personally not too keen on cardiff, but that's only because it's got no hills! It's far nicer than any other town in the region - especially Newport!

Don't they call Pembroke "Little England" or something? Seem to recall.
I've always wanted to visit the Gower, seen it on TV and the like and it seems fabulous.
I've heard the Valleys can be rough. Rhyl isn't exactly a beauty spot either :wink:

Cardiff seemed nice to me but I prefer the country side. :smile:
Reply 96
Class isn't based on a system of wage hierarchies. It's to do with family history, your own circumstances and the prestige of your occupation - rather then its wages.
Do the working class smell?

Yes Mr Cholmondley-Warner, most frightfully.

I assumed it was something to do with owning factors of production. I should probably know, but I don't.
Mrgd291190
Don't they call Pembroke "Little England" or something? Seem to recall.
I've always wanted to visit the Gower, seen it on TV and the like and it seems fabulous.
I've heard the Valleys can be rough. Rhyl isn't exactly a beauty spot either :wink:

Cardiff seemed nice to me but I prefer the country side. :smile:

They do - but it's a very poor area. The population is about 115,000 for quite a large county, with the only sources of income being an oil refinery, fishing, agriculture and tourism in the summer. The south is much more english than the north. Gower is like that; one of the wealthier parts of wales too - a lot of people retire there if they have the money. Haven't ever been to Rhyl (well if I have I don't remember). At least in the north though, you don't go from the rich lands of gloucestershire to the dump that is the valleys!
Reply 99
Class is inescapable really, whether you like it or not you fall into a category. It's similar to thinking you don't belong to a group in school, but even then you do, you fit in with the "loner" group.

As to definitions of class, i'd say that it's a result of many things, education, proffession, where you live. Tony Blair once said we live in a classless society, what a load of ****, we will always live in a society bound by classes.

Latest

Trending

Trending