The Student Room Group

A-Level choices

The A-levels I have taken an interest are

Economics AQA
Government and Politics Edexcel
Philosophy AQA

Honestly, I really don’t have any desire or interest to study anything else at A-level but I’ve always wanted to consider studying PPE (well, minus economics since I don’t think I’d be able to do maths at A-level) at univeristy. So, if I did choose these A-levels do you think it would decrease my chances of getting into a uni for politics and philosophy? Might be a daft question but I’ve always seen people say universities prefer students who take an array of different subjects but I could be wrong.

Nevertheless, could anyone tell me similar degrees like PPE? I’d like to work with the civil service. Also, could anyone give me their personal experience with these subjects, please?

Thank you in advance! :smile:)
Original post by oneirics
The A-levels I have taken an interest are

Economics AQA
Government and Politics Edexcel
Philosophy AQA

Honestly, I really don’t have any desire or interest to study anything else at A-level but I’ve always wanted to consider studying PPE (well, minus economics since I don’t think I’d be able to do maths at A-level) at univeristy. So, if I did choose these A-levels do you think it would decrease my chances of getting into a uni for politics and philosophy? Might be a daft question but I’ve always seen people say universities prefer students who take an array of different subjects but I could be wrong.

Nevertheless, could anyone tell me similar degrees like PPE? I’d like to work with the civil service. Also, could anyone give me their personal experience with these subjects, please?

Thank you in advance! :smile:)

I don't think your chances would be decreased massively by picking Philosophy, Politics and Economics but I do think unis like to see a student with breadth.
Choosing those A levels could certainly show your interest in the degree though, however (in terms of Oxford PPE) they don't stipulate that you have to study any of those as a requirement. They do say that Maths is recommended, but I've seen data somewhere that shows a small number of those without are offered a place though you will have to have an aptitude at Maths, could be shown through AS level but they're less common these days. "Of the 192 applicants offering A-Levels who were awarded a place, 171 (89%) had Maths."
It also says History is helpful- History links well with all those subjects, if there's one you're not as keen on, and you're interested, then that could be a good choice.

Similar degrees to PPE are mainly single or a combination of those subjects, e.g. Economics and Politics, Philosophy and Politics.
The civil service doesn't seem to have preferred degrees, I think they like to have a range of people and their experiences but you'll need skills relevant to the job. There's graduate schemes and even apprenticeships alternative to university. I'd suggest researching if you're interested.

I don't have experience with those A levels as I'm going to sixth form this September but we have similar interests and I chose Politics. I think at the end of the day you need to pick A levels you're interested in and think you'll do well in because grades are important to universities but still make them relate to degrees you may want to pursue.

https://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/admissions-statistics
^From Oxford about PPE admissions and the statistics, it could be helpful to look at previous years and those who were accepted.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by linedpaper
I don't think your chances would be decreased massively by picking Philosophy, Politics and Economics but I do think unis like to see a student with breadth.
Choosing those A levels could certainly show your interest in the degree though, however (in terms of Oxford PPE) they don't stipulate that you have to study any of those as a requirement. They do say that Maths is recommended, but I've seen data somewhere that shows a small number of those without are offered a place though you will have to have an aptitude at Maths, could be shown through AS level but they're less common these days. "Of the 192 applicants offering A-Levels who were awarded a place, 171 (89%) had Maths."
It also says History is helpful- History links well with all those subjects, if there's one you're not as keen on, and you're interested, then that could be a good choice.

Similar degrees to PPE are mainly single or a combination of those subjects, e.g. Economics and Politics, Philosophy and Politics.
The civil service doesn't seem to have preferred degrees, I think they like to have a range of people and their experiences but you'll need skills relevant to the job. There's graduate schemes and even apprenticeships alternative to university. I'd suggest researching if you're interested.

I don't have experience with those A levels as I'm going to sixth form this September but we have similar interests and I chose Politics. I think at the end of the day you need to pick A levels you're interested in and think you'll do well in because grades are important to universities but still make them relate to degrees you may want to pursue.

https://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/admissions-statistics
^From Oxford about PPE admissions and the statistics, it could be helpful to look at previous years and those who were accepted.

Thanks for the info, link was really useful. Good luck with Politics in September

Quick Reply

Latest