The Student Room Group

Exploring teaching secondary in field unrelated to undergraduate degree

Hi All,

I've been working in a non-teaching field for ten years now, and would like to switch to teaching secondary school. I'm particularly interested in teaching RE. Since my degree is in something completely different (although I took three classes on religious studies), would I need some kind of RE degree before getting into Teaching Direct i.e. SKE, prior to potentially pursing a PGCE + QTS program? Would it make sense to wait to take these SKE courses until I'm in a Teaching Direct program? Or can I take them prior and still be reimbursed when/if I am hired in a TD program?

Also, I'm on a tier 2 intracompany visa right now.

Thanks!
Original post by crupp2
Hi All,

I've been working in a non-teaching field for ten years now, and would like to switch to teaching secondary school. I'm particularly interested in teaching RE. Since my degree is in something completely different (although I took three classes on religious studies), would I need some kind of RE degree before getting into Teaching Direct i.e. SKE, prior to potentially pursing a PGCE + QTS program? Would it make sense to wait to take these SKE courses until I'm in a Teaching Direct program? Or can I take them prior and still be reimbursed when/if I am hired in a TD program?

Also, I'm on a tier 2 intracompany visa right now.

Thanks!

Hi

I think you may be confusing Teach First and Schools direct- there's no program called "teaching direct".

What qualifications do you currently have in RE or related subjects (e.g. philosophy and ethics)? If you don't have any, it's likely to be tough to find a place on an ITT program.

Usually, an SKE is done between getting an offer and starting the course. It is usually a condition of your offer. Therefore, you'd need to get the offer before starting your SKE, and you'd need to finish it before starting your course. This is the only way you'd be funded for an SKE as well.

Do you have any experience of state secondary schools in the UK?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending