The Student Room Group

choosing a degree in university

hello, I'm from England and I just wanted to ask how I can be sure what degree is best suited for me. My current A-level subjects are Biology, Psychology, and English Literature. I'm not 100% sure if I should do Psychology at University because I don't understand what courses I'm supposed to do if that makes sense. If I do choose to go with the Psychology path, then I want to work as a researcher or a clinical psychologist. I'm not sure what things I have to do to be able to become a psychologist because I've seen some websites saying that I need to get a PhD but then some other websites say that I just need a master's degree. I just need someone to explain the steps simply because everything on Google is way too confusing as everyone has something different to say.
Original post by ImaoKat
hello, I'm from England and I just wanted to ask how I can be sure what degree is best suited for me. My current A-level subjects are Biology, Psychology, and English Literature. I'm not 100% sure if I should do Psychology at University because I don't understand what courses I'm supposed to do if that makes sense. If I do choose to go with the Psychology path, then I want to work as a researcher or a clinical psychologist. I'm not sure what things I have to do to be able to become a psychologist because I've seen some websites saying that I need to get a PhD but then some other websites say that I just need a master's degree. I just need someone to explain the steps simply because everything on Google is way too confusing as everyone has something different to say.

Depends exactly on how you define "psychologist", which is probably the issue here - as there are more specific terms which make it much clearer.

If you want to become a professional psychologist - e.g. a forensic psychologist, clinical pscyhologist, educational psychologist and similar, your normally need to do a British Psychological Association (BPS) accredited undergraduate degree (or conversion if your undergraduate was not BPS accredited - this is important as you need the accredited agree in order to get graduate basis for chartered membership, known as GBC). You then need to do the relevant accredited postgraduate training programme for the specific field you are aiming for. For forensic psychology I believe this is a masters degree, for clinical psychology it's the DClinPsy (a doctoral degree but not a PhD; sometimes has slightly different title), or for educational psychology a DEdPsy (as with DClinPsy).

To become an academic researcher in psychology (which would colloquially be referred to as a psychologist but is different from the above), which entails working at a uni (and usually also teaching students at the uni!), you would need to do an undergraduate degree in a subject appropriate to your eventual research aims (this could be psychology but may also be e.g. neuroscience, medicine, bioscience degrees of various types, or less commonly other fields like anthropology perhaps), then a PhD (possibly a masters along the way too!), followed by getting a postdoc position (or several...) and trying to eventually get a permanent academic position (which would be the ultimate goal).

Hopefully that clarifies a bit the different routes and also different kinds of work people broadly referred to as "psychologist" might do!

Spoiler

(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Depends exactly on how you define "psychologist", which is probably the issue here - as there are more specific terms which make it much clearer.

If you want to become a professional psychologist - e.g. a forensic psychologist, clinical pscyhologist, educational psychologist and similar, your normally need to do a British Psychological Association (BPS) accredited undergraduate degree (or conversion if your undergraduate was not BPS accredited - this is important as you need the accredited agree in order to get graduate basis for chartered membership, known as GBC). You then need to do the relevant accredited postgraduate training programme for the specific field you are aiming for. For forensic psychology I believe this is a masters degree, for clinical psychology it's the DClinPsy (a doctoral degree but not a PhD; sometimes has slightly different title), or for educational psychology a DEdPsy (as with DClinPsy).

To become an academic researcher in psychology (which would colloquially be referred to as a psychologist but is different from the above), which entails working at a uni (and usually also teaching students at the uni!), you would need to do an undergraduate degree in a subject appropriate to your eventual research aims (this could be psychology but may also be e.g. neuroscience, medicine, bioscience degrees of various types, or less commonly other fields like anthropology perhaps), then a PhD (possibly a masters along the way too!), followed by getting a postdoc position (or several...) and trying to eventually get a permanent academic position (which would be the ultimate goal).

Hopefully that clarifies a bit the different routes and also different kinds of work people broadly referred to as "psychologist" might do!

Spoiler

thank you so much!!
Original post by ImaoKat

Hey :smile:

Choosing the right degree is a very personal decision, and there is no one-size-fits-all answer. It is important to consider your own interests, skills, and long-term goals as you explore your options. Do not rush the decision-making process, and be open to exploring different paths until you find the one that feels like the best fit for you.

In order to determine what degree might be best suited for you. Start by reflecting on your interests, passions, and strengths. What subjects or topics do you enjoy learning about? What activities or hobbies do you find most engaging? Investigate various careers and professions that align with your interests. Look into the educational requirements for those careers to get an idea of the degrees and qualifications needed. Also, speak with academic advisors who can provide guidance on degree programs and career paths. Finally, keep in mind that it is okay to change your mind along the way. Many people pursue degrees in one field and end up working in a different area. Your degree can open doors to various opportunities, so do not feel locked into one specific path.

To become a BPS certified clinical psychologist, you must obtain a PhD. However, when it comes to working as a researcher, there is no strict educational requirement here. Very good research skills are acquired already during the bachelor's degree, after which you can start to gain professional experience and develop in the research field.

I hope it was helpful! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions :wink: You can also chat with me and other student ambassadors through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia :h:
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Reply 4
Original post by De Montfort University
Hey :smile:

Choosing the right degree is a very personal decision, and there is no one-size-fits-all answer. It is important to consider your own interests, skills, and long-term goals as you explore your options. Do not rush the decision-making process, and be open to exploring different paths until you find the one that feels like the best fit for you.

In order to determine what degree might be best suited for you. Start by reflecting on your interests, passions, and strengths. What subjects or topics do you enjoy learning about? What activities or hobbies do you find most engaging? Investigate various careers and professions that align with your interests. Look into the educational requirements for those careers to get an idea of the degrees and qualifications needed. Also, speak with academic advisors who can provide guidance on degree programs and career paths. Finally, keep in mind that it is okay to change your mind along the way. Many people pursue degrees in one field and end up working in a different area. Your degree can open doors to various opportunities, so do not feel locked into one specific path.

To become a BPS certified clinical psychologist, you must obtain a PhD. However, when it comes to working as a researcher, there is no strict educational requirement here. Very good research skills are acquired already during the bachelor's degree, after which you can start to gain professional experience and develop in the research field.

I hope it was helpful! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions :wink: You can also chat with me and other student ambassadors through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia :h:
Psychology student
De Montfort University

thank you !!

Quick Reply

Latest