The Student Room Group

Maths or Further Maths A Level for Economics at LSE

I want to be offered a place by LSE for a degree in economics (or at least, an economics-related degree, I'm not sure if I want to do a combination one but it's unlikely). I'm starting A Levels in September and am currently doing Maths, Economics and Psychology. I'm considering upgrading maths to Double Maths, but the required grade on the LSE website for Single is A*. They do not say if Double differs from this. If I take Double and get just an A, will this effect my chances negatively compared to A* in Single, not have any effect or still keep the positives of taking the extra content? Thanks!
Original post by HarryDonovan422
I want to be offered a place by LSE for a degree in economics (or at least, an economics-related degree, I'm not sure if I want to do a combination one but it's unlikely). I'm starting A Levels in September and am currently doing Maths, Economics and Psychology. I'm considering upgrading maths to Double Maths, but the required grade on the LSE website for Single is A*. They do not say if Double differs from this. If I take Double and get just an A, will this effect my chances negatively compared to A* in Single, not have any effect or still keep the positives of taking the extra content? Thanks!

I emailed lse about maths and further maths last year (not asking this specific question but still about the subjects) and they told me that further maths was 'desirable for quantitative subjects'. I'm not sure if taking further maths would lower your offer, but the lse economics does look quite mathematically rigorous by the look of the webpage on their website so if you are able to take fm, and think you can cope with it as a fourth a - level on top of everything else, I think it would be worth it in terms of helping you to understand the degree material more easily if you get into lse. I don't think it would you would be disadvantaged just by not taking fm if the rest of your application was strong though because fm isn't specifically stated as required

Quick Reply

Latest