The Student Room Group

How does a dissertation work I’m really lost

I’m a second year moving into third year. I chose to do a dissertation over a research project (I’m doing chemistry) but it’s just hit me that I have no clue what’s going on. Someone on another science group chat mentioned that they have to do 10000 words before the end of August although I have no idea what the context is. Am I ... supposed to be doing something right now? I thought we had to wait until third year began to get everything sorted and clarified and choose our dissertation topics. I’m in a pretty bad situation right now and don’t have any friends from Uni who I can ask. I also don’t want to sound like a total idiot by emailing my tutor like “am I supposed to be writing something right now.” But I will if I have to. Just wondering if anyone knew anything...?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m a second year moving into third year. I chose to do a dissertation over a research project (I’m doing chemistry) but it’s just hit me that I have no clue what’s going on. Someone on another science group chat mentioned that they have to do 10000 words before the end of August although I have no idea what the context is. Am I ... supposed to be doing something right now? I thought we had to wait until third year began to get everything sorted and clarified and choose our dissertation topics. I’m in a pretty bad situation right now and don’t have any friends from Uni who I can ask. I also don’t want to sound like a total idiot by emailing my tutor like “am I supposed to be writing something right now.” But I will if I have to. Just wondering if anyone knew anything...?

It will vary from course to course but you don't usually begin writing your undergraduate dissertation until your final year - you'll generally get assigned a dissertation supervisor who will help you finalise your topic, and most universities have some tutorials or lectures to help you think about how you're going to approach your dissertation. Some students do start thinking about their topic over the summer - maybe doing some preparatory reading etc - but I usually recommend waiting to start your research fully until you've had chance to discuss your proposed topic with a tutor.

Given that you haven't had any guidance from your university yet, it doesn't sound as if you need to be worrying about your dissertation at the moment. However don't worry about emailing your tutor to clarify - tutors are there to guide and support you and they shouldn't think badly of you for asking about what you need to be doing at the moment, or whether you should be thinking about your dissertation at this stage.

It sounds as if you would really benefit from some tutor support right now so drop them an email to explain your confusion - and that you're feeling rather isolated - and see what they can do to support you.

Hope that helps!

Amy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending