The Student Room Group
Student visits the library, University Campus Suffolk
University of Suffolk
Ipswich
Visit website

nursing students being bullied on placement

Hi
I 'm a 3rd year nursing student and about to start my dissertation. I'm thinking about basing it on plan on nursing students being bullied what they are out on placement and how vulnerable you are as a student. This idea has come about due to my personal experience and speaking to some of my fellow student in my cohort. I just wonted to have an idea on how broad of an issue bullying of nursing student is and if you could share some of your experience
Thank you
Original post by Boo2014
Hi
I 'm a 3rd year nursing student and about to start my dissertation. I'm thinking about basing it on plan on nursing students being bullied what they are out on placement and how vulnerable you are as a student. This idea has come about due to my personal experience and speaking to some of my fellow student in my cohort. I just wonted to have an idea on how broad of an issue bullying of nursing student is and if you could share some of your experience
Thank you

if your passionate about it then go for it
Student visits the library, University Campus Suffolk
University of Suffolk
Ipswich
Visit website
Original post by Boo2014
Hi
Thank you

Hi Boo2014,

I really like your project idea, I find it quite unique, well done!
Have you started on it already (as your post is a month old)?
If so, you might have already got advice and feedback from your supervisor, but just in case you can make any use of it, I'll share some of my thoughts on it.

What comes to my mind first, as however I'm not on a nursing course but the topic itself falls close to my area of study (Psychology and Sociology, also I'm working within social care so do have some perhaps relatable experience, although for me it's not a placement), is to be very specific when applying for ethics approval and to be able to demonstrate how the positives of this study outweigh the risks associated with researching a sensitive topic like bullying.
Also, make sure you know what kind of approvals you would need to carry out this research - as you mentioned it would be about fellow nursing students on placements, which to the best of my knowledge involves healthcare facilities, you might need a gatekeeper approval in addition to your standard ethics forms.

Do you intend to do qualitative or quantitative research?

In any case, I hope your project goes as planned and it is really an impressive insight to have and it is so important to listen to experiences of students on a placement, especially so specific and sensitive as healthcare, because it does add to the vulnerability already being there just by being a student in that power dynamic of being on a placement.

I don't know how relatable or helpful my response was, but I'm glad if I managed to say anything that's even slightly useful. 🙂

Let me know how you get on with your project - if you feel like it, of course!

Viki
3rd year Psychology and Sociology Student
University of Suffolk
Hi there!

I'm a current nursing student at LJMU, however, I had studied nursing elsewhere at a different university where I experienced bullying.
I was typically spoken down to, mocked for my accent, and at one point my mentor screamed at me on the ward in full view of patients because she lost her meds keys and blamed it on me (I was a first year at this point, so unable to even do meds).
I was in my early 20's, and found that mentors were more likely to bully younger people rather than a mature student (I'm now in my 30's and can confidently say that this wouldn't occur now)

Luckily, my experience at LJMU has been fantastic, and the people here are lovely, a much different experience to my other university

Nat
I've had a really difficult experience with my course. I'm neuro divergent and people have misunderstood me. It's been a real challenge. I got asked why I wanted to work with people if I found it difficult and I wasn't good at it. I know in myself I'm not a bad person for being neuro divergent 🙂 I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending