The Student Room Group

A-level results day 2020- Guide to appeals, retakes and remote results day

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SarcAndSpark

There’s also the option to retake next summer, like there would be in a normal year. However, it's worth bearing in mind that we don't know exactly what Summer 2021 exams will look like yet, or when they will take place. These retakes will be treated like normal for the purposes of uni entry, and both results will be listed on exam certificates.

Where does it state that exams next summer will be printed along with given awarded this summer?
Does that mean they won't be seen as a "first sit" and instead a "retake"?
Original post by uxa595
Where does it state that exams next summer will be printed along with given awarded this summer?

The autumn ones are the only ones they've said are being treated specifically.
Original post by uxa595

It doesn't state that anywhere as such- it's just that a special exception has been made for the Autumn exams only. Exams next summer will be regarded as normal retakes.
For what it's worth - on UCAS I would always recommend erring on the side of caution and listing ALL awarded grades.

Universities know what's going on with exams this year so if you're applying before the Autumn exam results come out then best to list ALL grades awarded in August plus the Autumn exams you're taking as pending.

Your reference can explain if the August grades were/are a long way below predictions.
Original post by PQ
For what it's worth - on UCAS I would always recommend erring on the side of caution and listing ALL awarded grades.

Universities know what's going on with exams this year so if you're applying before the Autumn exam results come out then best to list ALL grades awarded in August plus the Autumn exams you're taking as pending.

Your reference can explain if the August grades were/are a long way below predictions.

I agree with this for people applying before Autumn results come out, definitely.
I’m wondering if anyone knows how my grades will be standardised if I am retaking (I’m 19?).
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
I’m wondering if anyone knows how my grades will be standardised if I am retaking (I’m 19?).

Are you retaking through your school, or as an independent candidate?
Are you retaking through your school, or as an independent candidate?

Through my school
I was doing alevel maths early in yr 12, if I receive a bad grade dunno if I should take autumn exams or exams in summer...
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
Through my school

Then you'll be standardised alongside this year's Y13- the fact you're retaking won't really come into it.
Original post by asianism
I was doing alevel maths early in yr 12, if I receive a bad grade dunno if I should take autumn exams or exams in summer...

Personally, I would go for autumn exams, because then you have another chance in the summer, and if you do well you can then forget about it for the rest of the year. But that only applies if you feel ready to take the exam in the autumn!

Are you doing FM as well this year? If you sit at the end of Y13 after having done FM, you'll probably find the normal maths exam easier.
Reply 51
When can you retake them if youre not happy?
Original post by xxvine
When can you retake them if youre not happy?

In October and again in the summer if you want to (dates TBC).
@SarcAndSpark

Please can you clarify

1) Is it possible to take one exam in Autumn 2020 and another in Summer 2021, in case I get ABB ( I will take a gap year) i will not have ample time to prepare for the both the exams.

2) Will the medical colleges/ universities will be count them as normal exam gardes or will be treated a retake,
3) Higher grade will be accepted and I need to only declare the higher grade?

Thanks
Original post by _gcx
Are you doing FM as well this year? If you sit at the end of Y13 after having done FM, you'll probably find the normal maths exam easier.

I am doing fm in yr 13, I will be submitting an application to oxbridge in October/September, when are the autumn exams. Say if I accidentally get an A instead of A* will this negatively affect my application. I feel like I should be ready for autumn as I have been regularly practicing pure STEP 1 and 2 questions, all I need to is revise mechanics and stats.
I am doing fm in yr 13, I will be submitting an application to oxbridge in October/September, when are the autumn exams. Say if I accidentally get an A instead of A* will this negatively affect my application. I feel like I should be ready for autumn as I have been regularly practicing pure STEP 1 and 2 questions, all I need to is revise mechanics and stats.

I think they would be understanding, I wouldn't worry.

Oh yeah - if you're doing STEP questions well already you should breeze through A-level maths, I'd get it over and done with in the autumn then.
Original post by chikubittoo
@SarcAndSpark

Please can you clarify

1) Is it possible to take one exam in Autumn 2020 and another in Summer 2021, in case I get ABB ( I will take a gap year) i will not have ample time to prepare for the both the exams.

2) Will the medical colleges/ universities will be count them as normal exam gardes or will be treated a retake,
3) Higher grade will be accepted and I need to only declare the higher grade?

Thanks

1) Yes

2) At the moment, the autumn exams will not be treated as a retake, but the summer exams probably will be. However, you should check this with unis as they may have individual policies.

3) If you're applying to medical schools, you will need to apply with your summer 2020 grades and list the autumn grades as pending. If the autumn grade is higher, this will overwrite your summer 2020 grade- you can get a completely new certificate and if you applied for 2022 entry then you could just list the higher grade. If you resit in the summer and apply for 2022, you'd need to declare both grades. I hope that makes sense!
1) Yes

2) At the moment, the autumn exams will not be treated as a retake, but the summer exams probably will be. However, you should check this with unis as they may have individual policies.

3) If you're applying to medical schools, you will need to apply with your summer 2020 grades and list the autumn grades as pending. If the autumn grade is higher, this will overwrite your summer 2020 grade- you can get a completely new certificate and if you applied for 2022 entry then you could just list the higher grade. If you resit in the summer and apply for 2022, you'd need to declare both grades. I hope that makes sense!

but ofqual have stated that if you are unhappy with your CAG's then you can either take the exams in the autumn or in the summer 2021 and both will count as first sittings. Meaning that if you get higher in those exams then your calculated grade then u can overide them. I don't think you will get both grades if u take exams in the summer 2021 instead. Many med schools are also considering those exams as first sittings to.
Original post by blackugo
They said you have to put your autumn results which get released in December as well as your Summer grades. They might contradict this or change this later but this is what I've been told.

Nope they said once you retake you can just list the highest grade and u don’t have to disclose the other one
Original post by Elissamoor123
but ofqual have stated that if you are unhappy with your CAG's then you can either take the exams in the autumn or in the summer 2021 and both will count as first sittings. Meaning that if you get higher in those exams then your calculated grade then u can overide them. I don't think you will get both grades if u take exams in the summer 2021 instead. Many med schools are also considering those exams as first sittings to.

Firstly, the grades you get in the summer are not CAGs. CAGs are center assessed grades, which is what your teachers send to exam boards. The grades you get after the standardisation process aren't CAGs.

This seems to disagree with you about med schools: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/covid-19/admissions-updates-for-applicants/202021-application-faqs

I also haven't seen anything to say that summer 2021 will count as a first sit- replacement certificates are definitely for autumn exams only, for example.

If you have some sources for what you are claiming, that would be great and I will update the OP, as I know things are changing all the time.

Quick Reply

Latest