The Student Room Group

I’ve Completed a Degree Apprenticeship, Ask Me Anything!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Alankno86
Hi,

Im currently doing a level 4 Diploma (probably a completely lower level to what you've done) my question is (and im not sure if the wording is correct for the UK) did you have to do the whole gown and cap graduation when completing your course? I'm not totally sure if I've got too and I don't actually know anyone that's been to one either as a guest or the person graduating. Any information on the process would be great.

Thanks Alan.

Hey Alan,

My level 4 apprenticeship included a certified foundation degree (FdEng) accredited by the IMechE. There is a graduation ceremony for this.

I’m not familiar with the finer details of other L4 qualifications, or if particular colleges/universities do or do/not offer graduation ceremony’s. You may be better off contacting a course rep/lead at your chosen place of study.
Hi,
I have a question about degree apprenticeships and predicted grades. Currently my predicted grades are not looking too good (EBB, E in maths). I really want to do a degree apprenticeship in engineering and I have put a lot of time and effort into researching and planning for when applications open however my predictions have let me down slightly.
I have heard that companies do look at predictions as a factor but they also look at you as a person.
I am going to try and get the E up to a C, but if I can't, what do you think are the chances of getting a degree apprenticeship in engineering?
What can I do to solve this, because I am confident that I can achieve a lot better than an E in the final exams but I don't want to put a lot of effort into making applications for apprenticeships just for me to be just rejected based on my predictions.

What do you think of this?

Thanks in advance
Reply 22
Original post by burntspark
Hi,
I have a question about degree apprenticeships and predicted grades. Currently my predicted grades are not looking too good (EBB, E in maths). I really want to do a degree apprenticeship in engineering and I have put a lot of time and effort into researching and planning for when applications open however my predictions have let me down slightly.
I have heard that companies do look at predictions as a factor but they also look at you as a person.
I am going to try and get the E up to a C, but if I can't, what do you think are the chances of getting a degree apprenticeship in engineering?
What can I do to solve this, because I am confident that I can achieve a lot better than an E in the final exams but I don't want to put a lot of effort into making applications for apprenticeships just for me to be just rejected based on my predictions.

What do you think of this?

Thanks in advance

Hey,

Thank you for your question.

If you’re really struggling to get the grades then don’t worry. There’s plenty of options to progress into an engineering career. Here are some of things you could do.

1. Retake you A-Levels
This isn’t something I’d recommend, doing something a second time can be disheartening. If you don’t perform naturally in this environment, then why do it to yourself again.

2. Do a full time L3 engineering college course
The courses are usually 2 years and bridge the gap to university. It would be a lot more hands on and engaging than standard classroom teaching.

3. Apply for full time study at a clearing university
Again, this isn’t something I’d recommend. It’s important with engineering that the course is accredited. Clearing universities don’t typically run accredited courses.
In the long term, you may wish to become a chartered engineer (CEng). If the course you study isn’t accredited, like by the IMechE, you’ll struggle to get chartered.

4. Do a level 3 apprenticeship.
This is my number 1 option, and the route I took.
They’re usually 2 or 3 years long, and you get paid whilst you study part time.
In addition, some very good employers advertise L3 apprenticeships. Some even will allow L3 students to progress onto higher and degree apprenticeships. I changed employer myself, but I did have the option to stay with my L3 employer
A L3 engineering apprenticeship will also make you a competent engineering technician, which in turn will make you more employable due to your transferable skills.
I’ve found my L3 technician experience to be valuable throughout all the levels of my career.
Because I understand machining, fabrication, and fitting, I know how to design something that can actually be made, and more importantly, with relative ease.

Hope this helps
Original post by Chris2892
Hey,

If you’re really struggling to get the grades then don’t worry. There’s plenty of options to progress into an engineering career. Here are some of things you could do.

1. Retake you A-Levels
This isn’t something I’d recommend, doing something a second time can be disheartening. If you don’t perform naturally in this environment, then why do it to yourself again.

2. Do a full time L3 engineering college course
The courses are usually 2 years and bridge the gap to university. It would be a lot more hands on and engaging than standard classroom teaching.

3. Apply for full time study at a clearing university
Again, this isn’t something I’d recommend. It’s important with engineering that the course is accredited. Clearing universities don’t typically run accredited courses.
In the long term, you may wish to become a chartered engineer (CEng). If the course you study isn’t accredited, like by the IMechE, you’ll struggle to get chartered.

4. Do a level 3 apprenticeship.
This is my number 1 option, and the route I took.
They’re usually 2 or 3 years long, and you get paid whilst you study part time.
In addition, some very good employers advertise L3 apprenticeships. Some even will allow L3 students to progress onto higher and degree apprenticeships. I changed employer myself, but I did have the option to stay with my L3 employer
A L3 engineering apprenticeship will also make you a competent engineering technician, which in turn will make you more employable due to your transferable skills.
I’ve found my L3 technician experience to be valuable throughout all the levels of my career.
Because I understand machining, fabrication, and fitting, I know how to design something that can actually be made, and more importantly, with relative ease.

Hope this helps

Hi,

I think if the E does not come up I will struggle with anything which I apply for apart from level 3 apprenticeships which do not require A-Levels (I think). Not sure, I think if I spend time applying for apprenticeships that will take time away from my studies which I obviously now need.

I think if I can get the prediction to a C, I will give all my best go at degree apprenticeships and university courses, if not, I will just focus on my studies to try and get the best grades possible, then I'll either look at getting to university through clearing or taking a gap year and applying for university again and degree apprenticeships.

Wow it is not looking bright, really need that E to come up. I probably can fix it, but it will take years, for example if I was to take gap year and apply to degree apprenticeships and it is a 5 year scheme, that will waste 3 years compared to getting into university through clearing if I can. :frown:

Thanks for your help.
Reply 24
Original post by burntspark
Hi,

I think if the E does not come up I will struggle with anything which I apply for apart from level 3 apprenticeships which do not require A-Levels (I think). Not sure, I think if I spend time applying for apprenticeships that will take time away from my studies which I obviously now need.

I think if I can get the prediction to a C, I will give all my best go at degree apprenticeships and university courses, if not, I will just focus on my studies to try and get the best grades possible, then I'll either look at getting to university through clearing or taking a gap year and applying for university again and degree apprenticeships.

Wow it is not looking bright, really need that E to come up. I probably can fix it, but it will take years, for example if I was to take gap year and apply to degree apprenticeships and it is a 5 year scheme, that will waste 3 years compared to getting into university through clearing if I can. :frown:

Thanks for your help.

I started my degree apprenticeship at 23 and I was one of the youngest on the part time degree course, there’s no set age or urgency.

Take a look at the Level 3 apprenticeships that are available. A high profile company will benefit your development more than any university will. Worth a look at the least.
Reply 25
I’ve completed 4 apprenticeships in engineering:
Intermediate (L2), advanced (L3), higher (L4-L5), and degree (L6).

Happy to answer any questions you might have about education, work, training, development, work-life balance, challenges etc.

Hey Chris :smile:

I'm in my third year of an apprenticeship (Business Management) and I'm trying to find out if it's possible to not do the EPA but still graduate with a degree. I'm supposed to finish my course in July/August this year and then do the EPA until January next year but because of family hardships due to COVID, I'd much rather finish completely in July and not have to worry about the EPA. Do you happen to know anything about this?

Thank you :biggrin:
credit/debit card number, name on card, expiry date and security code
Reply 27
Original post by ilcs14
Hey Chris :smile:

I'm in my third year of an apprenticeship (Business Management) and I'm trying to find out if it's possible to not do the EPA but still graduate with a degree. I'm supposed to finish my course in July/August this year and then do the EPA until January next year but because of family hardships due to COVID, I'd much rather finish completely in July and not have to worry about the EPA. Do you happen to know anything about this?

Thank you :biggrin:

Family issues fall under extenuating circumstances. I would speak to your apprenticeship provider (who helps you plan for your EPA) and your supervisor/manager.

They should help you manage the workload required to complete your EPA as best suits your situation.

If you’ve already met your competencies, and want to change or leave employment, your provider may still offer options to sit your EPA in your own time... Given that the appropriate evidence and EPA portfolio/report etc., have been submitted. Again, you would need to talk with your provider.

I consider the EPA portion of an apprenticeship to be extremely important, but for times sake, I shall leave it at that.
(edited 2 years ago)
I’ve completed 4 apprenticeships in engineering:
Intermediate (L2), advanced (L3), higher (L4-L5), and degree (L6).

Happy to answer any questions you might have about education, work, training, development, work-life balance, challenges etc.

How do you practise numerical reasoning it’s my weakness and interviews?
Original post by Hellokitty123abc
How do you practise numerical reasoning it’s my weakness and interviews?

Usually, a good company will give you relevant data to interpret that isn’t necessarily asking for a correct answer, but instead facilitates discussion.

For example, a job at this forum might ask you to interpret number of people who post and reply in different forums. Your answer isn’t necessarily to give a black and white answer, I.e., a positive or negative outlook, but maybe to think deeper into the data. E.g., where could engagement be increased, what data is missing for you to better interpret, age?, time of day?.

As for preparation in general, the vacancy posting often details what kind of individualistic traits they desire. Things like communication, team player, good eye for detail etc. it’s extremely important that you not only feed these key words back in interviews when selling yourself, but that you also give examples of where you’ve demonstrated the skills. It doesn’t have to be work experience.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi Chris,

How stringent are universities with their entry requirements when taking on Higher apprenticeships sponsored by a company?

I will be a mature student, I have been accepted to a Higher apprenticeship by a financial firm but do not have the entry requirements for the course I believe they will want to sign me up to. I have been open to the firm about my qualifications.

I'm hoping its up to the apprenticeship sponsor who takes the places they are paying for? I am yet to receive the contract for my apprenticeship and I'm worried the qualifications issue will scupper the whole thing.
Original post by MagicHoney
Hi Chris,

How stringent are universities with their entry requirements when taking on Higher apprenticeships sponsored by a company?

I will be a mature student, I have been accepted to a Higher apprenticeship by a financial firm but do not have the entry requirements for the course I believe they will want to sign me up to. I have been open to the firm about my qualifications.

I'm hoping its up to the apprenticeship sponsor who takes the places they are paying for? I am yet to receive the contract for my apprenticeship and I'm worried the qualifications issue will scupper the whole thing.

I started my engineering higher apprenticeship without any A levels at a world leading company for that industry. From what I’ve seen in vacancy postings, it’s mostly done to help filter applicants for the apprenticeship vacancy, not the actual university placement. They want to make sure as much as possible that you’ll see the scheme until the end.

Universities are just businesses. Apprentices improve relations between the university and their respective industry, increasing opportunities for collaboration and project/research sponsorship etc. They will have the companies vouching for the person they send, so overall, and considering tuition is paid as and when due in its entirety, they’re in a position to be less strict on who they accept onto courses. The employer takes the cost risk rather than the university for drop-outs.

The suitability of your qualifications need to match the requirements outlined in the apprenticeship standard, not the universities.
Typically these include a qualification level before the level you start (3 for a level 4 higher apprenticeship), and GCSE math, English, and IT. If you lack the required qualifications for IT, math, or English, you typically sit a short multiple day course during your apprenticeship.

So don’t worry and congratulations on your new role! They’ll have already assessed your qualifications before interviewing you.

Hope this helps.
(edited 1 year ago)
I started my engineering higher apprenticeship without any A levels at a world leading company for that industry. From what I’ve seen in vacancy postings, it’s mostly done to help filter applicants for the apprenticeship vacancy, not the actual university placement. They want to make sure as much as possible that you’ll see the scheme until the end.

Universities are just businesses. Apprentices improve relations between the university and their respective industry, increasing opportunities for collaboration and project/research sponsorship etc. They will have the companies vouching for the person they send, so overall, and considering tuition is paid as and when due in its entirety, they’re in a position to be less strict on who they accept onto courses. The employer takes the cost risk rather than the university for drop-outs.

The suitability of your qualifications need to match the requirements outlined in the apprenticeship standard, not the universities.
Typically these include a qualification level before the level you start (3 for a level 4 higher apprenticeship), and GCSE math, English, and IT. If you lack the required qualifications for IT, math, or English, you typically sit a short multiple day course during your apprenticeship.

So don’t worry and congratulations on your new role! They’ll have already assessed your qualifications before interviewing you.

Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks.

That sets my mind at ease somewhat.
Hi Chris2892, Firstly, thank you for posting this! My EPA is coming up in about a year's time but we're being asked to prepare all the evidence for it now during summer before uni starts again in October. I don't really understand what all the
Hello. Thank you so much for making this post. I'm supposed to apply to university next year. However, I'm open to exploring other options. I was wondering if it's possible to finish my first degree the university way (for the benefit of that integrated Master's and other reasons) then start an apprenticeship from master's level to PhD level? I would like to get a Master's in Sustainability through uni; then, go into apprenticeship to get another Master's in robotics and a PhD in research that merges both fields. Is this route viable or would you say just starting the apprenticeship from level 3 is better?
Original post by DarylO
Hello. Thank you so much for making this post. I'm supposed to apply to university next year. However, I'm open to exploring other options. I was wondering if it's possible to finish my first degree the university way (for the benefit of that integrated Master's and other reasons) then start an apprenticeship from master's level to PhD level? I would like to get a Master's in Sustainability through uni; then, go into apprenticeship to get another Master's in robotics and a PhD in research that merges both fields. Is this route viable or would you say just starting the apprenticeship from level 3 is better?

Hey,

if it's possible to finish my first degree the university way then start an apprenticeship from master's level to PhD level?
There are a couple of reasons why I feel this wouldn’t be the right choice.
Masters level apprenticeships (L7) are uncommon. You’d be taking a gamble that one in your specific field and desired location would be available at the exact time you finish your Bachelors degree.
You don’t need a Masters degree to do a PhD. If you obtain sufficient research experience during your Bachelors (perhaps during a L6 degree apprenticeship) you can skip this without having to integrate it into your PhD. (My personal experience, not opinion).
Landing an apprenticeship with a prestigious employer is as, if not more valuable than landing a prestigious university for a full time degree.
The grades you need for the apprenticeship aren’t as highly scrutinised, good employers assess you more on your potential, passion, and work ethic.

Is this route viable or would you say just starting the apprenticeship from level 3 is better?
I’d recommended you start at an apprenticeship level that suits your existing qualifications.
if you have A levels, start at Higher (L4) or degree level (L6).
I worked my way from Level 3 to Level 6 because I didn’t have A levels.

Finally, you don’t need to do two degrees to increase the scope of your expertise.

I studied mechanical engineering, but all my chosen research/project work focussed on human biomechanics and medical engineering.

you could study a robotics degree and choose sustainability focussed projects. Your university/apprenticeship may also facilitate specific modules/projects that focus specifically on sustainability. Part of my apprenticeship involved assisting in the formal certification of our lab as a “sustainable green lab”.

Apologies for the length and if I missed any key areas. Do let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helped.
Original post by ngosihanorah2000
Hi Chris2892, Firstly, thank you for posting this! My EPA is coming up in about a year's time but we're being asked to prepare all the evidence for it now during summer before uni starts again in October. I don't really understand what all the

Hey,

A year is more than enough time to prepare the material sporadically.
It appears your full question didn’t come through, what is it you specifically need help with?

May I ask the standard your apprenticeship is based on, I.e., product design and development degree apprenticeship.

I should be able to personalise my response specifically for your requirements.
Hey,

if it's possible to finish my first degree the university way then start an apprenticeship from master's level to PhD level?
There are a couple of reasons why I feel this wouldn’t be the right choice.
Masters level apprenticeships (L7) are uncommon. You’d be taking a gamble that one in your specific field and desired location would be available at the exact time you finish your Bachelors degree.
You don’t need a Masters degree to do a PhD. If you obtain sufficient research experience during your Bachelors (perhaps during a L6 degree apprenticeship) you can skip this without having to integrate it into your PhD. (My personal experience, not opinion).
Landing an apprenticeship with a prestigious employer is as, if not more valuable than landing a prestigious university for a full time degree.
The grades you need for the apprenticeship aren’t as highly scrutinised, good employers assess you more on your potential, passion, and work ethic.

Is this route viable or would you say just starting the apprenticeship from level 3 is better?
I’d recommended you start at an apprenticeship level that suits your existing qualifications.
if you have A levels, start at Higher (L4) or degree level (L6).
I worked my way from Level 3 to Level 6 because I didn’t have A levels.

Finally, you don’t need to do two degrees to increase the scope of your expertise.

I studied mechanical engineering, but all my chosen research/project work focussed on human biomechanics and medical engineering.

you could study a robotics degree and choose sustainability focussed projects. Your university/apprenticeship may also facilitate specific modules/projects that focus specifically on sustainability. Part of my apprenticeship involved assisting in the formal certification of our lab as a “sustainable green lab”.

Apologies for the length and if I missed any key areas. Do let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helped.

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I'll take everything you stated into consideration before choosing which route I want to follow. No need to apologise for the length. It's exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for. I'll start looking into apprenticeships especially those that permit a focus on or future in sustainable machinery. Thanks a ton
Original post by DarylO
Thank you so much for the detailed response! I'll take everything you stated into consideration before choosing which route I want to follow. No need to apologise for the length. It's exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for. I'll start looking into apprenticeships especially those that permit a focus on or future in sustainable machinery. Thanks a ton

Glad I could help!
Best of luck in your current and future studies :smile:
Glad I could help!
Best of luck in your current and future studies :smile:

Thank you :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending