I’ve Completed a Degree Apprenticeship, Ask Me Anything!

Watch
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Alankno86)
Hi,

Im currently doing a level 4 Diploma (probably a completely lower level to what you've done) my question is (and im not sure if the wording is correct for the UK) did you have to do the whole gown and cap graduation when completing your course? I'm not totally sure if I've got too and I don't actually know anyone that's been to one either as a guest or the person graduating. Any information on the process would be great.

Thanks Alan.
Hey Alan,

My level 4 apprenticeship included a certified foundation degree (FdEng) accredited by the IMechE. There is a graduation ceremony for this.

I’m not familiar with the finer details of other L4 qualifications, or if particular colleges/universities do or do/not offer graduation ceremony’s. You may be better off contacting a course rep/lead at your chosen place of study.
burntspark
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
I have a question about degree apprenticeships and predicted grades. Currently my predicted grades are not looking too good (EBB, E in maths). I really want to do a degree apprenticeship in engineering and I have put a lot of time and effort into researching and planning for when applications open however my predictions have let me down slightly.
I have heard that companies do look at predictions as a factor but they also look at you as a person.
I am going to try and get the E up to a C, but if I can't, what do you think are the chances of getting a degree apprenticeship in engineering?
What can I do to solve this, because I am confident that I can achieve a lot better than an E in the final exams but I don't want to put a lot of effort into making applications for apprenticeships just for me to be just rejected based on my predictions.

What do you think of this?

Thanks in advance
Chris2892
Rep:
(Original post by burntspark)
Hi,
I have a question about degree apprenticeships and predicted grades. Currently my predicted grades are not looking too good (EBB, E in maths). I really want to do a degree apprenticeship in engineering and I have put a lot of time and effort into researching and planning for when applications open however my predictions have let me down slightly.
I have heard that companies do look at predictions as a factor but they also look at you as a person.
I am going to try and get the E up to a C, but if I can't, what do you think are the chances of getting a degree apprenticeship in engineering?
What can I do to solve this, because I am confident that I can achieve a lot better than an E in the final exams but I don't want to put a lot of effort into making applications for apprenticeships just for me to be just rejected based on my predictions.

What do you think of this?

Thanks in advance
Hey,

Thank you for your question.

If you’re really struggling to get the grades then don’t worry. There’s plenty of options to progress into an engineering career. Here are some of things you could do.

1. Retake you A-Levels
This isn’t something I’d recommend, doing something a second time can be disheartening. If you don’t perform naturally in this environment, then why do it to yourself again.

2. Do a full time L3 engineering college course
The courses are usually 2 years and bridge the gap to university. It would be a lot more hands on and engaging than standard classroom teaching.

3. Apply for full time study at a clearing university
Again, this isn’t something I’d recommend. It’s important with engineering that the course is accredited. Clearing universities don’t typically run accredited courses.
In the long term, you may wish to become a chartered engineer (CEng). If the course you study isn’t accredited, like by the IMechE, you’ll struggle to get chartered.

4. Do a level 3 apprenticeship.
This is my number 1 option, and the route I took.
They’re usually 2 or 3 years long, and you get paid whilst you study part time.
In addition, some very good employers advertise L3 apprenticeships. Some even will allow L3 students to progress onto higher and degree apprenticeships. I changed employer myself, but I did have the option to stay with my L3 employer
A L3 engineering apprenticeship will also make you a competent engineering technician, which in turn will make you more employable due to your transferable skills.
I’ve found my L3 technician experience to be valuable throughout all the levels of my career.
Because I understand machining, fabrication, and fitting, I know how to design something that can actually be made, and more importantly, with relative ease.

Hope this helps
burntspark
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Chris2892)
Hey,

Thank you for your question.

If you’re really struggling to get the grades then don’t worry. There’s plenty of options to progress into an engineering career. Here are some of things you could do.

1. Retake you A-Levels
This isn’t something I’d recommend, doing something a second time can be disheartening. If you don’t perform naturally in this environment, then why do it to yourself again.

2. Do a full time L3 engineering college course
The courses are usually 2 years and bridge the gap to university. It would be a lot more hands on and engaging than standard classroom teaching.

3. Apply for full time study at a clearing university
Again, this isn’t something I’d recommend. It’s important with engineering that the course is accredited. Clearing universities don’t typically run accredited courses.
In the long term, you may wish to become a chartered engineer (CEng). If the course you study isn’t accredited, like by the IMechE, you’ll struggle to get chartered.

4. Do a level 3 apprenticeship.
This is my number 1 option, and the route I took.
They’re usually 2 or 3 years long, and you get paid whilst you study part time.
In addition, some very good employers advertise L3 apprenticeships. Some even will allow L3 students to progress onto higher and degree apprenticeships. I changed employer myself, but I did have the option to stay with my L3 employer
A L3 engineering apprenticeship will also make you a competent engineering technician, which in turn will make you more employable due to your transferable skills.
I’ve found my L3 technician experience to be valuable throughout all the levels of my career.
Because I understand machining, fabrication, and fitting, I know how to design something that can actually be made, and more importantly, with relative ease.

Hope this helps
Hi,

I think if the E does not come up I will struggle with anything which I apply for apart from level 3 apprenticeships which do not require A-Levels (I think). Not sure, I think if I spend time applying for apprenticeships that will take time away from my studies which I obviously now need.

I think if I can get the prediction to a C, I will give all my best go at degree apprenticeships and university courses, if not, I will just focus on my studies to try and get the best grades possible, then I'll either look at getting to university through clearing or taking a gap year and applying for university again and degree apprenticeships.

Wow it is not looking bright, really need that E to come up. I probably can fix it, but it will take years, for example if I was to take gap year and apply to degree apprenticeships and it is a 5 year scheme, that will waste 3 years compared to getting into university through clearing if I can.

Thanks for your help.
Chris2892
Rep:
(Original post by burntspark)
Hi,

I think if the E does not come up I will struggle with anything which I apply for apart from level 3 apprenticeships which do not require A-Levels (I think). Not sure, I think if I spend time applying for apprenticeships that will take time away from my studies which I obviously now need.

I think if I can get the prediction to a C, I will give all my best go at degree apprenticeships and university courses, if not, I will just focus on my studies to try and get the best grades possible, then I'll either look at getting to university through clearing or taking a gap year and applying for university again and degree apprenticeships.

Wow it is not looking bright, really need that E to come up. I probably can fix it, but it will take years, for example if I was to take gap year and apply to degree apprenticeships and it is a 5 year scheme, that will waste 3 years compared to getting into university through clearing if I can.

Thanks for your help.
I started my degree apprenticeship at 23 and I was one of the youngest on the part time degree course, there’s no set age or urgency.

Take a look at the Level 3 apprenticeships that are available. A high profile company will benefit your development more than any university will. Worth a look at the least.
ilcs14
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Chris2892)
I’ve completed 4 apprenticeships in engineering:
Intermediate (L2), advanced (L3), higher (L4-L5), and degree (L6).

Happy to answer any questions you might have about education, work, training, development, work-life balance, challenges etc.
Hey Chris

I'm in my third year of an apprenticeship (Business Management) and I'm trying to find out if it's possible to not do the EPA but still graduate with a degree. I'm supposed to finish my course in July/August this year and then do the EPA until January next year but because of family hardships due to COVID, I'd much rather finish completely in July and not have to worry about the EPA. Do you happen to know anything about this?

Thank you
HaydenFordz
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
credit/debit card number, name on card, expiry date and security code
Chris2892
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ilcs14)
Hey Chris

I'm in my third year of an apprenticeship (Business Management) and I'm trying to find out if it's possible to not do the EPA but still graduate with a degree. I'm supposed to finish my course in July/August this year and then do the EPA until January next year but because of family hardships due to COVID, I'd much rather finish completely in July and not have to worry about the EPA. Do you happen to know anything about this?

Thank you
Family issues fall under extenuating circumstances. I would speak to your apprenticeship provider (who helps you plan for your EPA) and your supervisor/manager.

They should help you manage the workload required to complete your EPA as best suits your situation.

If you’ve already met your competencies, and want to change or leave employment, your provider may still offer options to sit your EPA in your own time... Given that the appropriate evidence and EPA portfolio/report etc., have been submitted. Again, you would need to talk with your provider.

I consider the EPA portion of an apprenticeship to be extremely important, but for times sake, I shall leave it at that.
Last edited by Chris2892; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
6.92%
October 2021 (232)
44.62%
November 2021 (63)
12.12%
December 2021 (66)
12.69%
January 2021 (64)
12.31%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.27%