The Student Room Group

A level Chemistry or Physics

Hi, I want to do Maths and Economics at A level, but I’m not really sure what I should do for my third option. I’m thinking of doing a science but I’m not really sure. I was going to do Biology, but I don’t really think it will fit well or have much use. So now I’m deciding between Physics and Chemistry. I’m not really sure how able I am to cope with Physics as I’ve heard it’s quite challenging and I wouldn’t say I’m amazing at maths but I’m not bad at it. I want to keep my options open because I don’t really know what degree I want to do yet. I’m thinking of Economics/Business, Law or maybe Architecture buy I really have no clear idea at the moment.

What do you think?
Thanks for your time! :smile:
Maths and physics A level complement each other quite well as there is some cross over. Mechanics is a feature in both subjects.

I would say if you're not amazing at maths then maybe consider a less mathematical science though - the jump from GCSE to A level is quite tough, and it might not be a good idea to put all your eggs in the "maths basket". The degree subjects you listed are all quite literacy based degrees, so have you considered something more essay based? Perhaps History or another Humanities subject?
Hi, I’m not an expert so it’s just my opinion but I think history is useful if youre leaning towards law because of the debate side of it and looking at facts. I think for architecture they like sort of either a mix of maths with either science, art or humanities. But I think it really depends on the uni you are thinking of... it’s just a suggestion but maybe pick some unis that you like the look of for those three degrees and see whether any of the subjects your considering are preferred or not just to get an idea of whether by picking a certain one your limiting your choices (if your unsure and don’t have to much of a preference). I hope that helps a little :smile: Good luck
Original post by Howyoudoin’?
Hi, I’m not an expert so it’s just my opinion but I think history is useful if youre leaning towards law because of the debate side of it and looking at facts. I think for architecture they like sort of either a mix of maths with either science, art or humanities. But I think it really depends on the uni you are thinking of... it’s just a suggestion but maybe pick some unis that you like the look of for those three degrees and see whether any of the subjects your considering are preferred or not just to get an idea of whether by picking a certain one your limiting your choices (if your unsure and don’t have to much of a preference). I hope that helps a little :smile: Good luck

STEM subjects are still good in terms of the skills you learn for law btw
For Business and Law (assuming English and Welsh law), you dont need any specific A levels (with an essay subject being preferred which you already have with economics). For Economics, you already have maths a level so you would be fine (although i would research unis entry requirements on their weighting for further maths but essentially you will be fine. For Architecture, what kind of architecture are you looking at? If you are looking at the aesthetics, you want to probably go for BA; for functionality and to be an actual architect (not too sure the process that much because I briefly went over it), you are looking for Bsc. For Architecture, I think physics would be beneficial but I dont think it would really matter unless it said so - I recommend checking which course you like for architecture and the unis you might go to.
Original post by KaptainCliff
Maths and physics A level complement each other quite well as there is some cross over. Mechanics is a feature in both subjects.

I would say if you're not amazing at maths then maybe consider a less mathematical science though - the jump from GCSE to A level is quite tough, and it might not be a good idea to put all your eggs in the "maths basket". The degree subjects you listed are all quite literacy based degrees, so have you considered something more essay based? Perhaps History or another Humanities subject?

I do agree they compliment each other well. The maths in physics and chemistry isnt that much compared to A level maths so I think OP will be fine as long as they find A level maths alright. Economics is an essay based subject - it's considered a social science, despite its mathematical aspects. OP will be fine without essay based subjects for those degrees.
Original post by PetitePanda
STEM subjects are still good in terms of the skills you learn for law btw

Hey
Physics and chemistry are both very good subjects and I think you should choose the one you’ll enjoy most. :smile:
Sorry, I was only trying to make a suggestion and didn’t mean to make it sound like you should feel pressured to do history or that the subjects you were looking into weren’t good or anything. I’m not very good at this TSR thing. Haha. :/
out of phsyics and chemistry, i enjoy chemistry SLIGHTLY more
umm id say have a look at the first chapter of both subjects and see which one you get bored of first
Original post by Howyoudoin’?
Hey
Physics and chemistry are both very good subjects and I think you should choose the one you’ll enjoy most. :smile:
Sorry, I was only trying to make a suggestion and didn’t mean to make it sound like you should feel pressured to do history or that the subjects you were looking into weren’t good or anything. I’m not very good at this TSR thing. Haha. :/

No worries. I just dont want anyone to think not doing history and English lit and those subjects would limit them in doing law. I totally agree with you though :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest