The Student Room Group

Are Students really all Drug Users?

Without trying to highlight the student stereotypes of Drug Abuse, it is likely that a fair amount of Students ( and so a fair amount of students posting in these forums ), are drug users. Commonly, it'll be Cannabis, but of course Ecstacy, Cocaine, Magic Mushrooms, are also fairly acceptable student drugs. What I wanted to know was whether the stereotype that students are drug users is true? Don't come into this thread then criticise it. If you don't like it, then leave. So come on, own up ladies and gentleman.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cannabis yes- anything else, big no
Reply 2
I've never touched drugs in my life, and don't know many people at my university who do.
Personally I don't do anything but I have friends at both ends of the scale. I know someone who has never even touched a cigarette and I know someone who regularly does cocaine and MDMA and various other drugs he can get his hands on (which can be quite hard where I go to university). I also know some very hardcore cannabis users and some people who just smoke it socially or have done once or twice. So no, not every student is a drug user.
I've met a lot of people who do, but I don't myself and neither does my boyfriend.
cocaine acceptable??
Reply 6
yes, every singly student is a drug user
its like a requirment of uni
I don't think that uni necessarily perpetuates drug use... but it does facilitate it. A load of young people, obviously curioous about life, why else would they be at uni, AND not under the control of parents.

Hell I've tried most things... I like some, and don't like others. Everything thing in moderation, no? What's wrong with that? This society consumes plenty of caffeine, nicotine, sugar... what's wrong with a pill in a club, and a spliff with some mates?

XX
Reply 8
You will get some but usually it will be a minority for the drugs you mentioned. However stuff like weed is a lot more common, but this also depends on the uni you go to.
Reply 9
Of course the stereotype isnt true! Thats why its a stereotype and not a fact! Do all English people eat cucumber sandwiches? Do all Africans have AIDs? Are all alsations dangerous dogs? Are all the Irish drunks? Of course not.
Reply 10
Idiot!
yeah i think so.
Weed is as common as alcohol.

Others not so much, though most people do what they get hold of, like anything in life its who you associate with is what you see.:yep:
Oh please! Another rumour started out by the media - which is not true!

I think...
as Chef said on south park 'theres a time and a place for everything, its called college' (well, uni for us). RIP dude.

but seriously most people i knew at uni didn't do anything beyond alcohol, a handful, including myself, did weed on a few occasions, and a couple of people had done ecstacy. oh, and some people turned up at our houseparty and tried to do coke in our toilet, got chucked out and then did it outside on our window sill instead, lol. so er, it really depends on the crowd you hang out with really..
Reply 15
I've never touched drugs in my life either. :waggle:
Out of all my Uni friends, I only know like 3 or 4 who have tried a 'drug' (snuff) and 1 or 2 that do it regularly. :s-smilie:
Reply 16
the answer to the question is NO. Drugs can be found quite easily but not everyone does them.
Reply 17
EskimoJo
I've never touched drugs in my life either. :waggle:
Out of all my Uni friends, I only know like 3 or 4 who have tried a 'drug' (snuff) and 1 or 2 that do it regularly. :s-smilie:

Snuff?! Do they belong to the 18th century gentry?

I can't believe you really need an answer to this, some students take drugs, others don't. Like any section of society. Whether you count all usage as abuse is another matter entirely.
lol, snuff. i think thats almost as hardcore as laughing gas. (oh yeah that was readily available too)
rich2606
lol, snuff. i think thats almost as hardcore as laughing gas. (oh yeah that was readily available too)

Ahhhhhhh, many a balloon of nitrous!!

Latest

Trending

Trending