The Student Room Group

Psychology careers as a wheelchair user?

Hi, I'm looking at clinical work experience options for psych graduates and i'm wondering what would be possible for a wheelchair user?

For example I know that experience in inpatient settings as a HCA can be helpful experience when applying for assistant psych roles, but i cant imagine this would be viable for a wheelchair user, ditto other care- based support worker roles.

Volunteering on helplines would be accessible for me, but I'm not sure if this experience would be enough? Or would it be better to try and get a research assistant position rather than going for assistant psych?
Reply 1
Original post by revisedisguise
Hi, I'm looking at clinical work experience options for psych graduates and i'm wondering what would be possible for a wheelchair user?

For example I know that experience in inpatient settings as a HCA can be helpful experience when applying for assistant psych roles, but i cant imagine this would be viable for a wheelchair user, ditto other care- based support worker roles.

Volunteering on helplines would be accessible for me, but I'm not sure if this experience would be enough? Or would it be better to try and get a research assistant position rather than going for assistant psych?

Helpline work would certainly be relevant. You could look into training as a counsellor, therapist or PWP, as working in talking therapies should be a useful and accessible route in, and, in my experience, it is a field that values diversity and seeks to improve accessibility for staff and service users. I trained as a counsellor and just finished training as a CBT Therapist, and have found the work so enjoyable and rewarding, I think it is unlikely I will continue working towards a Psychology doctorate.

Alternatively, I previously worked as a drug and alcohol recovery worker, which at the time was a lot of working online and over the phone due to Covid, though they did also have face-to-face appointments in the service before that, so something like that could be good experience. I worked for CGL doing this (though mostly as an outreach worker), and then ended up getting a role as an AP within the same organisation, so that could also be a good way in if you are looking for AP roles.

Quick Reply

Latest