The Student Room Group

Should we be going back to university?

Scroll to see replies

To be fair we (or at least not me/my uni) are not technically going back. I'm apparently online until January at least.

Anyone else?
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Well for some degrees such as healthcare courses which are very practical, the time is ticking as graduation looms ahead. These courses definitely need to get up and running again otherwise we’ll end up with a bunch of medical, dental, nursing and other allied healthcare students who graduate with insufficient skills to actually be competent at their job - and this in itself is fatal.

Or, an alternative situation is these students are not allowed to graduate and then you’d end up with a backlog of HCP students - and that would be a whole other issue.

I'm studying medicine. I'm going into my second year (but technically 3rd year). We go into clinical phase next March. We haven't done our end of first year clinical exam yet because it needs to be done in person. So we're doing it next term, alongside learning the clinical skills for next year and everything else and studying for our second year exams. We're also doing 'blended learning' that is essentially online learning with maybe 4-5 hours in person per week. I'm not about to graduate, but I already feel like I won't be as prepared as I could be for my clinical years, and will end up becoming overwhelmed next term and maybe fail my exam. I know our teachers are doing the best they can for us, but between isolation, stress, and it essentially being one big experiment, I am worried, and so are a lot of people in my cohort. I couldn't imagine NOT starting again next month, otherwise the beginning of the New Year will be an absolute **** show for us all.
Original post by money-for-all
No offence, I respect your opinion BUT, It's this kind of sympathetic thinking that 'universities are businesses and they need money', which makes the tuition fee so expensive.

Do you know that Universities have endowments, totalling well over £100 million per annum. Our tuition fee is just additional pocket money for them.

Blue_Cow is well acquainted with HE funding, my question to you is if universities are so wealthy why are many of them operating at a loss and 13 recently at risk of going bust?
Reply 23
Original post by 04MR17
Students are one of the least at-risk groups available, if any group can survive an outbreak it's the student body. The same can't quite be said for staff at universities of course, and that's why a large number of universities have reduced in-person staff-to-student contact in favour of online options. So this shouldn't be confused with the complete return to a normal HE environment. However, that's not me saying that there are no risks. The government's job now is to look at all Britain's industries and sectors, calculate all the risks and advise from there. In the government's eyes this risk is calculated to be safe enough for return under certain conditions:
https://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/policy-and-analysis/reports/Documents/2020/principles-and-considerations-emerging-from-lockdown-june-2020.pdf

PRSOM!

Do you know that Universities have endowments, totalling well over £100 million per annum. Our tuition fee is just additional pocket money for them.

Unis cant just spend endowments.
Lots of the capital came from alumni donations & have restrictions such as you cant spend the principle and can only spend the annualised interest.
Also lots of it is locked up in long term investments or is collateral (so they cant spend it anyway).

Also UK uni endowments really are not that big a handful like 4 or 5 have £100m endowments most have far lower, and often only a relatively small percentage of their annual budget.
Original post by gigaberry
I'm studying medicine. I'm going into my second year (but technically 3rd year). We go into clinical phase next March. We haven't done our end of first year clinical exam yet because it needs to be done in person. So we're doing it next term, alongside learning the clinical skills for next year and everything else and studying for our second year exams. We're also doing 'blended learning' that is essentially online learning with maybe 4-5 hours in person per week. I'm not about to graduate, but I already feel like I won't be as prepared as I could be for my clinical years, and will end up becoming overwhelmed next term and maybe fail my exam. I know our teachers are doing the best they can for us, but between isolation, stress, and it essentially being one big experiment, I am worried, and so are a lot of people in my cohort. I couldn't imagine NOT starting again next month, otherwise the beginning of the New Year will be an absolute **** show for us all.

I feel you - I’m a third year dental student, and I’m in an even worse position because for us, practically most of 3rd, 4th and 5th year is just treating patients and practicing and learning new skills.

We were in the middle of our crowns course when Covid-19 hit so whilst normally I’d be entering 4th year having competently passed my crowns gateway and having learnt how to do post and cores in the summer term, we’re likely now to have to restart the whole course. And what’s even worse is that we definitely won’t be seeing any patients for the entire first term, so it’ll be plastic teeth and phantom heads for a long time (although I’m grateful even for that at this point, I haven’t picked up a dental mirror in so long :frown:).
Original post by 04MR17
Blue_Cow is well acquainted with HE funding, my question to you is if universities are so wealthy why are many of them operating at a loss and 13 recently at risk of going bust?

I think this is due to many factors.
But, the main factor I believe is university senior management and academic staff being paid salaries above what they should be paid.
The vice chancellor of Imperial College London was paid £500,000 per annum, which I think is ridiculous.

Then they complain 'we're about to go bust'
Reply 27
I “graduated” this summer but can confirm that my (former) university will not be holding normal in-person exams in December (they will be take-homes again or replaced with coursework). Regarding teaching, I can only speak for the specific school I was part of but I imagine there will be similarities across different schools/departments and universities.

They are hoping to operate “blended learning” and are planning occasional smaller-group (up to 30 students) interactive online sessions to complement pre-recorded lecture material. I think the idea is that anyone who is in the area will hopefully be able to attend occasional in-person classes (with enhanced hygiene and distancing measures) but because the uni is very international, many students will not be in the country so will require a fully-remote experience.

Therefore, remote (online) learning will basically be the default for the foreseeable future. It was also argued that a relatively small and more intimate online session may be more effective than a session in a large room with students sat far apart (and/or wearing masks) and staff well-distanced.
(edited 3 years ago)
But, the main factor I believe is university senior management and academic staff being paid salaries above what they should be paid.
The vice chancellor of Imperial College London was paid £500,000 per annum, which I think is ridiculous.

Uni staff are overpaid :lol:

The VC for Imperial runs an organisation with a Billion pound balance sheet with over 20,000 affiliated people.

If unis were not charities & a private enterprise the VC would make far more. Making sure you have the right person managing billions of pounds is essential, its a small cost to have the right person at the top meaning the money that is spent, is well spent.

Uni employees are notoriously underpaid.
(edited 3 years ago)

But if they have so much endowment money then why would the salaries be a problem?

Also if you take the head of private companies of the same size as a university you will find their CEOs paid far higher than a vice chancellor. The funding system in operation is reliant on economic market principles, the government is therefore treating universities economically similar to that of a private company. You can disagree with the funding system and the market-based system that comes with that, but I don't personally believe it is reasonable to expect universities to behave in a manner that their funding model does not support.
Original post by gigaberry

I'm also studying medicine but only going into my second year (undergraduate) so not the worst situation but we have new clinical skills to learn and practice as well as the ones that we missed due to lock down so I really want to go back in September. Are you doing GEM?
Original post by Emily5243
I'm also studying medicine but only going into my second year (undergraduate) so not the worst situation but we have new clinical skills to learn and practice as well as the ones that we missed due to lock down so I really want to go back in September. Are you doing GEM?

Yuuuuuup

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending