The Student Room Group

Continue with triple science

I've done 1 year of triple science and so far its been alright. Should I continue or drop down?I can still do A level sciences without doing triple (right?) but heard it will be a lot harder as there is content that I would've missed since not doing triple. How much harder is it when not doing triple? I'd rather drop down and get a high grade than continue and get a lower grade. Or does a lower triple grade look better than a high non-triple grade?Sorry for the confusing post (just a bit stressed and worried). Thank you.
Reply 1
Yes, you can still do sciences at A level if you don't do triple, although you will find A levels much easier if you do, particularly chemistry. You are unlikely to be at a huge disadvantage though and should be fine if you work hard.
Generally I would advise drop to Trilogy (are you doing AQA?) and get a better grade, unless you know you want to do A level, in which case the potential lower GCSE grade is worth it for being better prepared for A level.
I would advise you to not even think about doing A level Sciences without being able to get a 7-7 easily in trilogy or a 7 in the science/s you want to study and at least a 6 in the others if doing separates. I'm a Science teacher, do feel free to ask me any questions.
Reply 2
Have a look at the distribution of grades achieved by people taking combined Science and separate Sciences here: https://www.jcq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/GCSE-Full-Course-Results-Summer-2019.pdf Obviosuly, it is heavily skewed by the fact that the brighter students are more likely to take triple but there's no real reason you would achieve worse grades by taking triple rather than combined.
I did triple science, always found physics the hardest subject throughout high school. In year 9, I was on a 4 all year - didn’t improve in any test. Then about half way through year 10 I got a 5 and I was overjoyed. At the end of year 10 (summer before year 11) we had a mock and I got a 6. Then in my November mocks in year 11, I got a 6 again. We continued to have assessments quite frequently leading up to our exams and I got a 7 and then in my last one, about a week before my exam, I got an 8. In my actual GCSE I got an 8 and I’m now taking it for a-level. If you had of told me in year 9 that I was taking physics a-level, I would have laughed. If you continue working hard, the grades will come trust me on that!!

That’s my success story to try and inspire you to keep at triple science but if it’s not for you, then by all means change to combined. Good luck! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest